1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fire alarm legislation

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Oct 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Today I got a leaflet from a company called Alco telling me that the Scottish Government has introduced legislation which says that all homes, including your own home owned house must have a specific specification for smoke, heat and carbon monoxide in specified places in your home before 1st February 2021.
    These must be wirelessly connected.

I went on to the website and was unsurprised to see there were no expert installers in my area anyway.

I do object to this being legislated for, for all households. Advice would have been a better route in my opinion. This has been prompted by the Grenfell Tower fire. Who has been charged and imprisoned for that fire? Have all buildings been reclad? I believe not.

Have any of you had a similar leaflet shoved through your door? Of all the things at the moment, I do think this is beyond the pale. I see sets being sold on Amazon for about £100, but I'm unsure whether they arre sufficient. Also, being of small stature and less than fit to climb ladders and fit these things, I wonder what I should do.

No doubt it will become obligatory for home insurance next.

2. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I would check that the Scottish government has indeed done such a thing - this may be a marketing ploy.

Catriona likes this.
  3. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Scam comes to mind.

neilt3 and Learning like this.
  4. Catriona

It is legitimate. Quite why the leaflet has been produced by a company called Alco, I can only surmise commercial benefits.

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It's legit, passed in January 2019 and spectacularly uncommunicated. I get the point of it but in a small home such as ours an interconnected alarm is pointless as we can certainly hear one alarm anywhere in the house.

Herald reported today that there may be a u turn on the rollout, but it's behind a paywall...

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Seems like their mailshot covered the nation, and was the first most folk had heard of it.

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

In England, the fire service will visit homes and install smoke alarms for free (not the interlinked ones) but non the less will supply and fit. Perhaps your fire service may do something similar in Scotland?

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Suspended due to covid. But won't meet new standard so will probably stop soon anyway...

Catriona likes this.
  10. dream_police

I was wondering if they'd start doing the new ones to fit in with your legislation. Hopefully for the elderly and those on lower incomes as they will be more pricey.

My mum has had them round a few times. I think it was for the firemen though.

Catriona likes this.
  11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Unlikely, given the cost.

The massive grey area is there are no penalties and it will be down to home insurers to potentially require the standard to be met to actually 'force' anyone to meet it, other than private lets etc where it has been enforced for a while now.

Catriona likes this.
  12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

A neighbour had one of those. If they still install them free I hope they have moved away from the “sealed for 10 year life” design. At end of life you have to break into it in a specific way to shut off the exceedingly loud low battery warning. Took ages to find some instructions online, during which time we resorted to burying it in the garden in an attempt to hush it up.

Catriona likes this.
  13. dream_police

No they are still supplying those. Hers didn't last anywhere near the 10 years. I removed the one with low battery and they came out and refitted it. I recently replaced mine and bought battery powered smoke and CO detectors rather than those fixed battery ones.

Catriona likes this.
  14. Catriona

My smoke alarms can be opened and new batteries fitted. Which reminds me, I probably should change them soon, although they are supposed to last up to 10 years. The carbon monoxide one in the kitchen is sealed so if it goes off, it will be buried and/or destroyed with a big hammer!

Zou likes this.
  15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Our CO detector died recently but quietly, otherwise I'd gladly have taken a sledgehammer to it! :D

Catriona likes this.
  16. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You’ll need at least a 5 lb club hammer, they are pretty tough things!,

Catriona likes this.
  17. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I expect they are quite easy to fit but not if you don’t like climbing ladders and drilling into the ceiling. Do you have any local handymen or a helpful neighbour?
    You need to be careful where they are installed or you will get false alarms.

18. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

but very satisfying when done:)

Catriona and Zou like this.
  19. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Yep, been there, done that.

Catriona likes this.
  20. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I've no idea what the legislation is in England, but anyway I've had two smoke alarms for years. One at the top of the stairs, and one in the bathroom next to my bedroom - and I can hear both of them when I'm wearing my hearing aids. And, I do change their batteries. Recently, my hearing has further deteriorated, and now, even with aids, I can no longer hear my kitchen timer from the lounge - it used to be no problem.

At night for comfort, I take my hearing aids out anyway... would a flashing light waken me?

Catriona likes this.