1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filters

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nicxx, Mar 22, 2003.

1. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

Hello chickens. I'm needing to buy some lovely filters to protect my sexy little (and big!) lenses now, is it worth me paying twice as much for a Hoya when I just want it for protection (ie skylight filter ) rather than a Jessops. I guess youre all gonna say yes, but its £50 compared to £25. Bear in mind that I'm a bit crap at all this photography business anyway so theyre probably going to look too rubbish to care anyway.

ermx

2. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Cheap Filters

...no problem using cheap filters to protect your lenses - just don't forget to take 'em off before you start shootin' :)

Chris [​IMG] ...no wonder I’m digital, cos I just [​IMG] being in control...

3. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

Re: Cheap Filters

Spanking in order:)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ermx

4. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Cheap spanking!

...I just luv it when you talk dirty to me Nicola :) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chris [​IMG] ...no wonder I’m digital, cos I just [​IMG] being in control...

5. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Re: Cheap spanking!

If you're talking about your big Nikon telezoom that you bought off Fangs then I would go the extra yard and buy the expensive filter for that. It really deserves it because it is a superb piece of glass (unlike Jeri Ryan who is a superb piece of ass!). You could get away with using the cheapo filters on your "lesser" lenses though. Optically I very much doubt that you'd be able to tell the difference but I just think your Nikkor deserves the good glass.

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

6. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Nicola,

I'm with Will on this count especially as you got the lens to use in gig situations, therefore you want to ensure the front element is protected at all times, also because you are working in low light situations you want the best filters to ensure you get the greatest transmission of light possible, my recommendation is Hoya's SHMC Pro-1 UV filter, which is what I have on all my wide & fast lenses.

<font color=blue>RonM IRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

7. RichardHardwick

RichardHardwick Well-Known Member

I agree with Ron, I have a Hoya Pro1 UV filter on all my lenses and I replace them if they become marked. They are expensive, but very high quality.

Richard
    <a href=http://www.richardhardwick.com>www.richardhardwick.com</a>

8. Lounge_Lizard

Lounge_Lizard Well-Known Member

Why have a top notch lens and then degrade the image quality by sticking a cheap filter on the front?

The difference between the Hoya and the Jessops is that the Hoya is usually multi-coated. If it isn't then go for a multi-coated one. Reason: you shoot under tricky lighting conditions at gigs where you might get flare from a spotlight. A multi-coated filter will minimise the flare and give you better pics.

And remember - you got it because you're worth it. ;-)

David

9. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

Yeah, but seriously spanking...

Cheers. But what's the difference between :-

HMC UV FILTER 62mm £21.49 and
    HMC SKYLIGHT FILTER 62mm £21.49 and
    HOYA SUPER HMC PRO-1 SKYLIGHT 1B 62mm £35.90 and
    HOYA SUPER HMC PRO-1 UV 62mm £39.49 ???

These are for another lens, but what do the "skylight-super-pro-whatever"
    have that the others don't?

Cheers, you're all lovely...

ermx

10. Lounge_Lizard

Re: Yeah, but seriously spanking...

Cheers, you're all lovely...

Can't we tell that Spring is in the air...

David

11. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Skylights have a very very slight warming effect. There's a mild (compared to even an 81A) straw colour to them.

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

12. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Nicola,

As well as the differences that Tim has pointed out the SHMC Pro filters are made with thinner (I am presumming even higher quality) glass and have the same number of (but, more) coatings on each side of the filter, standard multi-coated filters are usually only coated on one side.
    The result is that the Hoya SHMC Pro-1 filters transmit 99.7&#43% of all the light that hits them, whereas some of your 'cheaper' filters will only transmit 90% of the light (a known cause of vignetting).
    Personally I do believe the old adage 'you gets what you pays for' and in this case if you have a top class lens then I wouldnt fit anything but the best to it.

<font color=blue>RonM IRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

13. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

I always think that you're all lovely!

ermx

14. Lounge_Lizard

Nicola

Why do you always give me that warm glow inside? /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

David