1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Film through airport X-ray

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Washy, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Washy

Washy New Member

Hello Everybody
    This is my first post and I was wondering if anybody could advise me the best way to protect films taken through airport X-ray machines as I have heard that they can sometimes fog the film.
    I was told wrapping them in baco foil may help,has anybody tried this? to see if it works.Has anybody had damage to films caused by X rays at airports or am I being paranoid.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Machines went "film-safe" many years ago. Whether the disapearance of film and increase in security concerns means things have changed I don't know. Wrapping things in tin foil will probably mean you get searched then everything will go through the machine again anyway - they'll re-scan until satisfied. Try putting them in a clear bag and ask for hand inspection but I'd think they'll scan it.

3. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I took rolls of Kodachrome (unexposed and exposed) through X-Ray machines at various airports in the UK, Italy, Crete and Madeira during the period 1996-2008 and never had any problem with the pictures. Everything that was wrong with some of the shots was all my own fault.

I once witnessed somebody who had put some rolls of film in a foil-lined bag, and the security people just made him open it and put the contents on a tray which was then X-Rayed like any other item. They also stood back a few feet and made him open the bag.

5. Washy

Washy New Member