1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Film SLRs still being used

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think dear old Ron passed away 4 or 5 years ago.

The 135mm f3.5 Zeiss Jena S(onnar) was the first extra lens I bought, and it remains a real favourite - lovely lens.

2. james6

james6 Well-Known Member

Got it wrong it was an 80mm 2.8. Just seen one on e-bay for £200+. I'd like one of the 135s though.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

f2.8? I've got Carl Zeiss Jena 80mm f1.8s in both M42 and Praktica Bayonet - another really excellent lens, well recommended by me. Almost too sharp as a portrait lens.

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Just had my photo taken at lunchtime today by someone testing their new toy - a 5x4 Speed Graphic!

OK, it's not an SLR but I think it fits the thread rather well.

Adrian

5. Bellicose FED

Bellicose FED Member

When I was doing photography in college I used mainly Pentax gear - ME Super, MZ-M, Spottie...

I did get into soviet gear as this initialy gave me the opportunity for cheap medium format photography and a blast at rangefinders.

My curerent usual fim SLR's are Zenit 11 and EM as they are very cheap to buy and have been for the most part relaiable for me- plus there are a lot of lenses out there for the M42 screw. I still have some film in my Zenit 19 as well but not used that in a while.

My curent rangefinder is an Olympus 35SP, which remains for me an absolute jem of a camera.
    Medium format is something I am returnign to shortly, this will likley be Lubitel 2 - I have had some good results from this little lightweight wonder.
    I have plans afoot to resurect some pretty old medium format gear but will see how far off the ground I get with that before spoiling the show.

6. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

I still use my film cameras on a fairly regular basis.

I have a Nikon microscope with a camera port, which I often need to take photographs through using either my OM4Ti or OM2 SP cameras. The photographs are usually needed for evidence, so film is ideal.

If I had a DSLR that would work on the microscope I would probably use it, but E-System cameras just give too much magnification, and I would need a full frame camera to get the same magnification as 35 mm.

I also use my Mamiya 645 as often as I can. It isn't just about image quality; I enjoy using film cameras far more than digital, and the waist level finder on the Mamiya blows the viewfinder on any digital camera out of the water in my opinion.

Talking of which, I spotted a near-mint condition Mamiya RB67 outfit in a camera shop on Saturday. I took it out into the street and had a peek through the massive, bright and clear WLF, mercifully uncluttered by superfluous data. I was, and remain sorely tempted, but I am trying to convince myself (not very successfully) that the negative size is only 1.55 times that of my 645, and it is big and heavy camera. There again, it does have a leaf shutter and a rotating film back, and the quality of Velvia shot on 6 x 7 is just stunning. :D

Oh dear, what am I letting myself in for now. :eek:

7. Hwntws

Hwntws Well-Known Member

Hi Benchmark.
    I use a Mamyia RZ Pro11, as you say the WLF is stunning. Go on buy it you know you have to.:)

8. Benchmark

I am tempted. Sorely tempted. But how practical is the RB 67 as a camera for landscape photography, which would be its main use?

As it stands, I can easily fit my 645 Pro TL into a Lowepro Micro Trekker bag together with several lenses, WLF and metering head, a hand-held meter, a set of Lee filters and half a dozen rolls of film. This outfit weighs little more than my E5 with a couple of lenses, filters and so forth.

I would also need to buy a wide-angle lens for the RB. The camera comes with a 90 millimetre optic, so I would probably need the 50 mm, which seems to be about the only wide-angle available at present.

I presume the 90 mm provides about the same angle of view as a 40 mm lens on a 35 mm camera. How wide is the 50 mm optic?

(I must do some research.) :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  9. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

A big, heavy beastie - I have often wondered though whether I would have been better off in decades past with a RB/RZ studio based and with a 6x4.5 something (prob. a Bronnie) going outdoors.

However, indoors I have recently used a Fuji 680 - another lovely camera - and I needed the movements. The big asset to my mind of both cameras are the rotating back. The downside of the Fuji is that anything wider than 65mm (ie. the 50mm) is rarer than hen's teeth and commands big money s/h. The rest of the Fuji stuff seems quite reasonable, price-wise.

The advantage of the RB/RZ may be that (I'm guessing a bit) more were made and sold and, hence, s/h prices will be even more in your favour. The RZ, I believe, is still a current camera or - if not - has only very recently been discontinued.

Another however: if film does start to get scarce and expensive, might not 15 or 16 on be a better bet. I've just bought a second 6x4.5 mag for the Bronnie and will shortly out at least one of my 6x6 ones! ;) :( {I am tempted by those s/h Fujis I see around, the advantage of movements with rollfilm economy/convenience?}

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

This would be better as a new thread ! I think the RB67 was mostly used as a studio camera. Must run some film through my SQA! A 50 mm lens on that seems very wide, could be because of the format. The one I bought s/h from Dale is slightly uncentrered and less sharp on the left than the right but it took me too long to properly question it!

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

As a landscape camera, I use - note the use of the present, even though I've not used it for a while - a Pentax 67. Super beastie.

12. Hwntws

Hwntws Well-Known Member

I use the Lowepro Stealth Reporter 550 bag, (there's nothing stealthy about me though), to carry the RZ, 90mm and 65mm lenses. I also have light meter 2 film backs and filters with other bits and bobs. It's not light but I get about easily enoough with it, gets a bit awkward when you have the tripod to fasten to it.
    I'm afraid I can't comment on the 5omm lens as I've not used one, I find the 65mm is sufficient for what I do.

13. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Right about the Thread!

Problem is that the 35mm boys both in digital and more so with Voigtlander have widened the view considerably.

For a long time I only had 50mm on 6x6 as a wide-angle but 40mm adds 20% more! :)

If I could have that and some tilt'n'shift (rising/falling front) I would be as happy as the proverbial Larry. :rolleyes:

However, if the fashion for big foregrounds should change ...

14. Benchmark

I think maybe we will start a new thread. There are a lot of things about the RB/RZ 67 that I don't fully understand, so it might be a good idea to ask there.

Let's do it! :)

15. gollum

gollum Well-Known Member

Some of us use them out of choice :)

16. Priscilla

Priscilla Active Member

Yes and YES! I have a Canon 1v! I love it!

17. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

3x Praktica TL1000 + assorted lenses. Two of the bodies were overhauled by Pentacon in Dresden last year. Over the years they've all been battered about on hiking trips in Lapland.

2x Olympus OM-1 + assorted lenses. Both need attention- fungus in the optics in one, a bit of something broken off in the other.

I have absolutely no interest in going digital. Film SLRs are ideal for my abstract photography.

18. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Last Tuesday, 16th. October, I was visiting Portmeirion, and came across a French photographer using a famous old film SLR - a Hasselblad Superwide C - except that it is not an SLR, as there's no mirror, and it needs its special viewfinder. I think it's the first time I've encountered one apart from in a shop window. Unfortunately, his English seemed as bad as my French, so we didn't really have a conversation about the merits of 120 film versus my 5D Mk II's 21MP.

19. Hellequin

Hellequin Well-Known Member

I took quite some time to make the move to digital and whilst I do enjoy using it and love the practicality of it, I still love film more. I have an old T90 with 50mm & 28mm FD lenses which I really enjoy using; it's built like a tank and produces some cracking images.

I've just added to my 35mm SLR collection with a near mint Minolta Dynax 7 & 24-105 lens. I know it's a completely different system but it was a camera I wanted when it came out but couldn't afford, so I'm looking forward to putting it to use now I finally have one!:cool:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  20. Threeracers

Threeracers Member

I use both but much prefer film, mostly b&w in a couple of Minolta XD11 bodies.

I also have a couple of Dynax 7D bodies which I use for sports; motorsport and rugby, where I can shoot without worrying about the cost!

Mark