1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Film SLRs still being used

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I bought a Nikon F100 this morning :)

Will be used for college mostly...

2. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

http://tokyocamerastyle.com/page/2

Took me a couple of days, but I found it again. Page 1 is full of Leica M9s, thus ruining our point entirely.

3. whitbycolin

whitbycolin Well-Known Member

I thought I would add my comments in support of film camera usage. I own two Minolta Dynax 800si's one always kept loaded with colour film whilst the other is used on and off for mono or transparency.

I also still use my extensive Bronica medium format equipment, again with colour, mono or transparency be it 120 or 220, this is where individual backs come into their own....

Don't label me as being a dinosaur as I own a Konica Minolta 5D (as a back up) and a Sony Alpha A100. Digital is for sure convenient, fun to use and good as a semi professional user, but I also like to run film along with digital. I think digital users should always be aware that precious images could be lost if not printed and simply kept on hard drives or discs.

I doubt ever fully abandoning film as I do so like the archival quality of a good print and negative. May film continue to be honoured for its history, longevity and usefulness.

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

The British ... nostalgia? ... or poverty?

Actually, while what you say is true of the Japanese they also love retro and helped drive 'the Lomo thing'.

It would be interesting to know the rate of scrappage film vs digital. There has been a cultural and a legal change with digital compared to film. I suspect the early digital cameras are considered by many as worthless and get scrapped unlike their equivalent film compacts. Then there is the legislation on waste disposal which probably affects digital camera scrappage, eg. more formal facilities exist for their disposal, useful metals to be recovered, etc..

Last few weeks have seen virtually no classifieds in AP. People cannot afford the high fees, I guess, to advertise a camera that may not sell. Once upon a photography boom (1970's and 1980's) people used to buy AP just to look at the s/h adverts. :)

5. 0lybacker

This observational thing is really useful 'market' research. Very interesting. ;) :)

6. 0lybacker

One of the interesting things about the Japanese is that some of the serious collectors get their mint Leica M2s, or whatever, shrink-wrapped then they tuck them away in bank vaults. Which in a way is a bit sad.

I heard third-hand of one, no reason to doubt the source, who even had his own vacuum wrapping machine to do this. Wisely, every now and then, he would take his precious darlings out of the vault, 'exercise' them, re-wrap and return them to storage.

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

It's not the fees, at least not entirely, but E-bay and similar that's probably done for camera sales in the classifieds. In the old days the only place to reach hundreds of potential buyers was a national magazine - nowadays it's the net.

FWIW I had a quick google on e-bay for Canon EOS 500 and it returned 21 hits on the film camera of that name...

8. filmlover

filmlover Well-Known Member

I second this......Although I used both mediums in the past, I've returned to film for a number of reasons...not least the "security" of knowing you can, if necessary re-scan your film into whatever system the future may throw up. Film is a "hard copy" in a physical sense. Digital only exists in electronic form and is unstable. This was brought home to me a while ago when I found that about 50% of digital images, saved to disc 8-10 years ago, had gone "corrupt".

Yes, I know that you should re-save all your digi images every few years to ensure longevity, but in reality, how many have the time, or even the inclination to do this?

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

And there was me thinking the reason was just to bang on about it as often as possible...[​IMG]

:D

10. 0lybacker

If I was shooting celebrities, I would endeavour to do so on film all the time (difficult PAs and PR Cos permitting :rolleyes: ) as the resultant trannies or B&W negs make a very good pension fund!

While the same is true of sport, digital provides other benefits at the taking stage. There is no reason why you cannot 'filmise' digital images later on - once they have become 'famous'. :)

11. ElliotG

ElliotG Member

I am a 13 year old young photographer and I have just got into film photography. I have been trawling through charity shops and eBay to find old cameras. I have got only one so far and I prefer it to my digital camera (PowerShot SX130IS). The model of my camera is a Vivitar 35EF, 35mm, Fully manual with a 38mm f2.8 lens.

12. james6

james6 Well-Known Member

I quite liked the B series Praktica. If you attached the motorwind they were really nice to handle and I never found them rough. I can remember Ron somebody or other [somebody will remind me] who was a writer for AP in the 70s/80 stating that the B series 1.8 50mm was one of the sharpest lens he had ever used.

13. GuyWood

GuyWood Well-Known Member

I'm buying an Olympus OM-10 off the intranet at work on Tuesday :). Already got a couple of rolls of Kodak 200 from Amazon for it.

14. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Like it! :D

I have had a half used film in my Bronica for more than a year. Chemicals now defunct; cost money to start again. May, or may not.

15. 0lybacker

At Cenotaph yesterday. When I was not taking pictures, I noted:

Cameras everywhere in use (have never seen so many) including net/notebook computer! Less pros out than last year. Lots of DSLRs, especially with big, mid-range zooms, touted by more females more than by men. Smart 'phones very much in evidence. Do not recall seeing one CSC (Hmmnn! Only just realised that - very strange.) but there were a few bridge cameras - often in hands of military or 'vets'. Saw two film cameras (apart from my own) - one Bronnie 645 in hands of Dutch college photo-student {we had chatted before he got that out and I saw him with it, but not in use later!} - and a 35mm job, make uncertain on South Bank in hands of middle-aged Dad. Saw one M8/9 in hands of middle-aged woman.

Overwhelming camera, numbers wise? The digi-compact. Used by young and old and everyone in between.

16. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The digital compact tends to be the choice of those who want pictures that have no interest in photography itself, in other words the majority. This is why I believe that the csc is a product struggling to find a market at this time, these users have no desire for interchangeable lens cameras, nor are they prepared to lay out the price of these machines. They are not really what many enthusiastic users want as their main camera either, so you may as well just add an entry level body, which is light and compact, without the need to buy further lenses.

17. John King

John King Well-Known Member

NIMBUS.

I think you may just have hit the nail on the head.

At the Camera Club I belong to I was asked to put on a Photo Quiz night with 50 or so questions on photography in general. The lack on knowledge, well to be honest, astounded me. Simple things like aperture and shutter speed combinations. (Still relevant in the digital world). and really simple things like 'how wide is a piece of 35mm film'. Or when would you use a UV Filter. Very few could give the answers.

I have largely given up digital work now that my A3 printer is on it's last legs and the replacement will set me back over £400. I can buy an awful lot of film (B&W and Colour) plus all the chemicals/paper etc for that amount. Anyone interested in D300? Well actually it's gone, but you get the idea.

18. Rushfan

Rushfan Well-Known Member

I've been using film since a 13 year old in 1974 and I see no reason to give up. I've had more than my fair share of DSLRs and enjoyed using them but I always revert to film as I enjoy it more. Actually, I've given my wife my D700 (I "borrow" it occasionally, though).

My main tools are (in no particular order of preference) Wista 45 Field, Hasselblad 500c/m, Nikon F5, Leica R3 Mot, Leica M6TTL, Fed 2, Ricoh GR1s, Voigtlander Perkeo I, Adox folder something-or-other and last, but definitely not least, Rolleiflex 3.5T. The only digital camera that's officially mine is my Panasonic Lumix LX3.

Incidentally, it's great to see a young 'un in our midst who's attracted to film. Nothing wrong with digital but I honestly believe that a thorough grounding in film is the best start anyone could ever have - particularly if the camera is a manual only camera - ideally without a built-in light meter. It's a steep learning curve but one that will teach more about how light works, depth of field and film/sensor sensitivity than peering at a histogram.

Unfortunately, I don't have my own mono darkroom anymore (too short of space and time) so I scan negs / trannies on an Epson V750 and process them in CS3 / Silver Efex Pro.

I've just bought 25 rolls of film for a 2 week holiday to Sri Lanka (15x BW500CN and 10x Fuji Superia 400) and will probably use the lot - carefully, of course.....

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, I think the BC-1 and variants (I've both a BC-1 and the equivalent Zeiss-branded Jenaflex) is one of the nicest manual-focus SLRs ever made - very smooth and it feels more like a Contax (admittedly the 139) than a Praktica. The later BX-20 isn't as nice, although arguably a more complete camera. The lenses are very decent; the normal 50mm f1.8, based on the old Meyer Oreston lens is IMHO as good as most similar lenses such as the Canon and Nikon varieties - it's not up with the very best, such as the Zeiss Planars or Leica Summicrons of this world. The Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f1.8 pretty much is, though.

Ron? Spillman, probably.

More generally, I actually ordered some film from 7dayshop last night, so maybe I'll get round to using it!

20. james6

james6 Well-Known Member

Yes,it was Spillman. Is he still around? Praktica also did a fixed focal portrait lens [135 I think] which is quite highly prized today for it's quality. It tends to fetch decent money on e-bay.