1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Film SLRs still being used

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I was at the most enjoyable Steam Gala at the Nene Valley Railway today, and I was surprised to see quite a number of film type SLRs in use - names I recognised easily were Practika and Zenith. I wasn't surprised to see plenty of smaller DSLRs being used as well as Lumix styled cameras, but I didn't see any of the larger "pro" sized DSLRs.

There were several camcorders from the pre MiniDV analogue era, although I didn't see any taking VHS-C cartridges.

Lots of tripods were being used - particularly by those videoing the action.

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Could be a nostalgia thing. :)

I just got myself a mint condition Praktica MTL5.

Which I am planning to run some film through in the near future.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Must say that in New York and New England for 3 weeks, the only film cameras I saw being used were 3 Speed Graphics in NYC. Am awful lot of DSLRs in use, mostly Canon and Nikon with a smattering of Sonys, but not many CSCs, compacts or even phones in use.

4. Went to Oxford last Saturday and did the tourist tour (Not been before).

Saw one Canon AE1 in use.

Lots of CSCs - to my surprise - even quite young Japanese with Olympus Pens.

They do say they have a considerable bridgehead.

More phones than compacts

Few British tourists with cameras - as far as I could judge!

Paul

5. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

On holiday two weeks ago I saw a Minolta 7000(middle aged woman) and a little girl of about 10 using a Pentax K1000:quite a heavy camera for a child.
    Lots of dSLRs and the ever present arm`s length brigade.;):cool:

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

A friend who is an avid mainline steam photographer still uses an arsenal of screw thread Pentax slrs. He has a shelf full of defective examples now, but a few are still in serviceable condition. He doesn't possess a digital camera, and indeed doesn't really have any desire to do so. I have the feeling that he finds the technology intimidating and sticks with what he knows. He was disappointed at the discontinuation of Sensia with it's process paid 'service' and laid in a fairly large stock.

My last slr use was last year, a roll of XP2 in a Contax RX, which has now departed, I was finding it rather heavy to carry around, but I still have a few film slrs, including an OM1n.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  7. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

The British have always been ones for nostalgia, hence the number of film cameras still in use. The Yanks have always been the "must have the latest" types, even if they don't know how to use them. The Japanese also always seem to go for the latest thing (all generalisations, I know).

I still have a film SLR (a Canon EOS30) and a couple of compacts, which I put a film through every so often, and my wife still uses a Mju compact. There must be thousands of film cameras out there somewhere and, judging by the second-hand adverts in the back of AP, more film cameras than digitals, but I don't think they get much use nowadays.

8. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

The other week I was up at Aperture in London trading in some bits. Apparently they've had a steady increase in sales of film SLRs; not from an "instead of digital" angle but alongside. Quite a few young people who may have not used film before included. It's all good.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Seen a few more film cameras in Edinburgh recently too. Best of the bunch was a young guy with a Mamiya C220 with neckstrap.

He looked uncomfortable!

10. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Getting a bit philosophical now... dangerous territory!

Hoping that I don't offend too many people here, my memories of the Practika and Zenith ranges were that they were somewhat rough and unrefined in comparison to the West German and Japanese cameras of the period; and I wonder whether the people I saw yesterday hadn't bothered to upgrade because they had no idea that much more ergonomic and pleasanter to handle bodies were available?

(And I do own some Russian made Zorkis and Kievs of the period.)

11. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

I have to agree that many Soviet era cameras were rather poor, especially late 60's onwards.

However my Kiev 4A (the one without the meter) is my favourite film rangefinder, easily beating the Leica III mainly because I can't see through the Leica viewfinder and it's a swine to load.

In Portugal last week I was asked to take a lot of peoples' group photos for some reason and though most cameras I was handed were digital compacts three were film point and shoot. It was a Saga group though, I suppose I should be surprised that there weren't any plate cameras.

12. filmlover

filmlover Well-Known Member

I suspect there are far more film users around, than is generally given credit for. A discussion with a prominent London camera dealer, revealed he just couldn't get hold of enough Rolleiflexes, Leicas etc. in really good condition to satisfy demand.

13. P_Stoddart

I have just raised the discussion in the lounge about film camera and newbies.

Just been out today to give the MTL5 some exercise. Quite fun really. :)

Mind you blasted through the roll in no time. :D

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  14. filmlover

Suspect you've became too used to zapping away at umpteen frames a second on your digi.??!!......film cameras need a slower, more considered approach to bring out the best in them!

15. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I got through about half a roll of Ektar 100 in my FM2 when I was out for a couple of hours this afternoon (and a couple of dozen digital files on the S3 Pro and K20D).

Somehow the FM2 is more satisfying... :)

16. P_Stoddart

Yep! You soon realise how spoilt you been doing this. :)

Not sure I agree about the slower more considered. I was doing some action photography on a 50mm lens so that didn't help. :)

Anyway will see. Too late to drop it off at the lab. Not processing myself. Not setup for that.

17. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

Actually, whilst the Japanese like the advancement of technology and it's increasing miniturisation, film photography is still massively popular.
    I was on a website a few weeks ago run by a Japanese guy who basically wanders around Tokyo and documenting the film cameras (mostly pre-1980s) being used by people.

I've currently got a Minolta 7000 with half a roll of colour print in it, and a Fujica ST605 with about 3 frames of black and white left in it (either Tmax 400 or something from Ilford), but dead batteries.

18. filmlover

Yep.....I gather that Leica M's (the older film types) are massively popular in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2011
  19. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

I haven't used a film camera for a long time now, I use digital and wouldn't look back now :)

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Despite not using them, I've just received one I bought on ebay the other day. For the princely sum of 99p (less than £4 with P&P), I've aquired an EOS IX 7 to go with my IX. I might just run a film through it. ;)