1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Film Scanners

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by nspur, Oct 2, 2009.

1. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

I've decided that rather than getting my films scanned during the processing I would rather do it myself. Most of it is b/w. I have a rather old flatbed 9950F scanner that does have film carriers but I'm not certain that it will be up to 35mm film. What do most of you use? I don't think I need more than 6 Mp resolution.

2. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

I have an Epson 4490 and a Plustek Opticfilm. The reason being was I bought the Plustek before I decided to go Medium Format and the Epson has both 35mm and Medium FOrmat. The Epson is absolute quality for the price. The Plustek is very good too and comes with Silverfast and film profiles.

3. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

I am the same as Luis, I bought a Plustec 7200i and later an Epson V700 to scan 120 film. The Epson is better at scanning 35mm too so the Plustec sits gathering dust.

4. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

Thanks very much. I think it's the Epson range for me as I'm going to start using my Mamiya C330 again as well.

5. JJM74

JJM74 Well-Known Member

I've just got an Epson 4490 and I'm very pleased with MF scans of B&W. (Which is what I mostly wanted it for). I'm finding 35mm a little harder, obviously the smaller source makes some difference to detail, but the size can be well over 6mp.

Colour stuff however, I'm finding much harder to get the images right. Much more PP than I anticipated, but figure I'll get there with practice.

6. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 for 35mm, Epson 4990 Photo for larger.

7. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I managed to get a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi II for a good price several years back. It's handy as it does 120 and 35mm. Seems to be fine for my occasion dip back into film.

8. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

I find the 4490 great for B&W film and 120 stuff, but it does struggle a little with colour slide. Mono though it will scan to A4 sizes and produce excellent prints.

9. sandyfyfe

sandyfyfe Well-Known Member

My epsom v500 works well for scanning negatives. Not tried it with slides.

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Beware the Nikon film scanners. The hardware is great but the software dire.
    Nikon Scan often crashes on Windows XP on which it is supposed to be compatible. It is incompatible with any thing later. Be prepared to buy Silver fast if you want the luxury of Nikon hardware.

11. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Never had a problem.

12. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Can't say I've experienced any probs with the Nikonscan software for my Coolscan V.