1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Film loading issues Rondinax 60 developing tank

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Wilwahabri, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Wilwahabri

Wilwahabri Member

I have recently acquired a Rondinax 60 developing tank for processing 120 film. So far I have run 4 films through it. Every time I have used it the last frame to load collapses in the spiral and touches the underlying layer causing it not to be developed. I can feel increased resistance as the last frame is spooled out of the film chamber, and no mater how gently I try to ease the last frame out it always sticks. Has anyone else encountered this problem with a Rondinax tank? I am considering trying to get a Kent 20 tank as, if it is built like my Essex 35 35mm tank it is far more robust than it's continental cousin, pictures I have seen indicate the spiral is much deeper than the Rondinax spiral.

Alternatively It may just be better to fork out for a Lab-Box, a brand new daylight processing tank built along the same principles as the Essex and Kent tanks.

I dislike hand loading spirals in the dark intensely, hence my use of daylight loading tanks.

Suggestions please.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I can only suggest to practice.

3. Wilwahabri

Wilwahabri Member

Don't think it is technique, I have been developing films in the Essex tank for over 50 years without any issues

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I never got on with the Rondinax style devices in any size. The thing that really annoyed me was the constant twiddling of the knob. If they'd included a motor for agitation I might have perservered but sans that I'd rather keep a changing bag handy.

5. Wilwahabri

Wilwahabri Member

I have a Jobo CPE2+ processor as well but hate loading the spirals, I generally manage to scratch the film, particularly on 120. I have to use the Jobo tanks for 16mm, 110 and Minox films though. The Jobo is good for colour work though. I use it to process E-6 film

6. Wilwahabri

Wilwahabri Member

I acquired a Kent 20 tank and it is definitely a more robust construction, although the spiral looks similar to the Agfa Rondinax 60s. Different ball game using it though. Ran a roll of Delta 100 through my Seagull 4A and it loaded into the tank without a hitch. Will have to investigate the Rondinax 60 to see if I can determine the cause of the loading issue, otherwise it's a scrapper.