1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Film lives ....

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Roger_Provins, Apr 18, 2015.

1. alindsay

alindsay Well-Known Member

They've certainly cranked it up considerably! When I bought mine, it was following an AP group review, of the R3a, the M7, and the then new Zeiss Ikon R/F. The conclusion was pretty much as you'd predict, being M7, ZI, then the R3A, but with the R3A acquitting itself well. The M7 was priced in numbers that were eye-watering to all but Leicans, the ZI was around £1k, and the R3A came in at £384. With the others out of my budget, I went for the R3A, and never regretted it.

Since then, I've seen the R3A on sale second hand for nearly double what I paid for it new, and it's currently around £700 new. I love mine, but I'm just not sure it's worth £700.

Fortunately, I got all the lenses I wanted, from 21mm to 75mm, before they too started their upward pricing trajectory.

2. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

You obviously don't exhibit your photos! Or do you bin them straight after the finissage? And what about all those accumulated pre-digital AP backnumbers? Storing exhibition photos and AP backnumbers takes up more space than my slides and negatives ever will!

Lynn

3. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I've put on an exhibition or two but I've never been part of the camera club thing. Anyway, I'm not interested in that any more, so the old prints have gone to the great wall in the sky. Old magazines go to the charity shops to make them some money, which makes me feel good.

I'm a great fan of this new digital world. If other people want to do things differently, then I say "good for them". It would be only polite for them to return the compliment. Little children can play different games in the same sand pit; we should be able to do the same...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  4. art

art Well-Known Member

I finally broke free from my hoarding instinct when we last moved house and I threw out decades of old magazines (among other things) from the attic that were still in sealed boxes from previous moves. Amateur Photographer ('natch), New Scientist, Practical Electronics, Practical Wireless, Personal Computer World, Trout & Salmon, Private Eye and miscellaneous others. I wish I had thought of giving them to charity shops as it would have saved me £150 on hiring a skip!

But there is certainly money in some old magazines. Last month I received a letter from someone offering to sell me a 'For Sale' advert of our house from a very old edition of Country Life magazine. Quite enterprising, I thought, and another bit of interesting historic memorabilia to add to our research files. Only £20 for us, but imagine that multiplied by all those adverts in old magazines!

5. alindsay

alindsay Well-Known Member

I went through all my old magazines, and scanned the pages with articles I'd want to refer to again, equipment reviews, test reports, opinion pieces, that sort of thing. For each magazine, I also scanned the contents page, and each scanned article had the page number suffixed on the file name for the index page (Epson Scan is great for this), so that I knew exactly where to look when previewing the contents page scan.

This saved me acres of shelf space. Very handy for all those new negative filing binders.