1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Film curious ...

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by EightBitTony, Aug 31, 2018.

1. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

Tony, you could always develop, scan and then print, thus removing the need for a dark room.

peterba and EightBitTony like this.
  2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The LX, beautifully made camera, alas imho the right camera at the wrong time.

Roger Hicks and peterba like this.
  3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I am
    I think that this qualifies as "nice, light and compact". It was the last SLR I bought whilst waiting for digital to come up to reasonable quality. However I don't think it will give a feeling for the film experience as the handling is surprisingly similar to my 6D
    canon300.JPG

londonbackpackr likes this.
  4. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

I picked up the eos500n a few weeks back for £15

RogerMac likes this.
  5. RogerMac

In one way at least it would be a very good subject - in that it does not have perishable light seals which are a constant proble with many old cameras

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The 300 has a much better meter for slide film than the 500n, but both are surprisingly pleasant incredibly light plastic fantastics. I often carried a 300 and 2 or 3 lightweight primes (choice from 24mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 28mm f1.8, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.8 pr 135mm f2.8 SF) as a lightweight carry anywhere kit, and it was often used as a second body with my 1v or 3. Or even 30E. These days, it has a lightweight 28-80 on it and gets a little use still.

7. RogerMac

My 300 weighs just 350 grams without lens. If also has a very clever wind mechanism where, on loading, all the film goes onto the take up spool and back into the cassette frame by frame as it is exposed - means that all exposed film is safely stored in the cassette in case the back is accidentally opened[/QUOTE]

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

[/QUOTE]
    That loading method dates I think to the 750/850, the very first entry-level EOS models 30 years ago. They were ghastly cameras, though, albeit feeling more solid than the 300, but the 300 has everything you need in an AF SLR at absolutely minimal weight.

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I haven't shot any film in ages and have been thinking that it's about time I got back into it. I need somethign to shake me out of the photographic doldrums anyway. Now that I no longer have a designated darkroom space of my own I'm going to be loading film onto a paterson spiral reel and putting it into a tank in a changing bag at the kitchen table. I find 35mm easier to do than 120 because I like to do the 120 standing up or else I get all caught up in backing paper. I also have a red plastic monstrosity for 5x4 negs which does into the same tank as the rest. I have a contraption that I made out of an old tin for photographing 35mm negs but would need to borrow a scanner for anything larger. But yes, utterly do-able. I think my 35mm cameras currently include an ancient praktica, a k1000, a canon EOS1, a zenit of some description and a chinoa? I'm going to have to have a rummage in the cupboard and dust some of these off.

londonbackpackr likes this.
  10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Is that an organic hipster cross between a Chinon and quinoa?

Sorry: I'm just having one of those days, I guess.

Cheers,

R.

Zou likes this.
  11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

No I think you'll find I'm having one of those days. You're right to think it was a Chinon. I couldn't think of the right name. Just like I coudln't think of the words 'pre-requisite' or 'banal' earlier when I needed them. I either need more coffee or more fresh air. Or both.

12. Roger Hicks

I find whisky helps. Either you remember the word you want, or you stop worrying about not finding it.

Cheers,

R.

13. Nikonchris

Nikonchris Well-Known Member

or this...:)

[​IMG]Blackboard. by Chris Connorton, on Flickr

14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

There's no whisky left. I drunked it all. There is canadian club but I need dry ginger to go with it. There is no wine either. Although we do seem to have a ludicrous amount of port. Mmmm.

Zou likes this.
  15. Nikonchris

Nikonchris Well-Known Member

Any port in a storm then....;)

Geren, RogerMac and peterba like this.
  16. Roger Hicks

Well, you certainly need SOMETHING to take away the taste of Canadian whisk(e)y. Canada Dry, maybe? Or even just Coca-Cola.

Cheers,

R.