1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

February, 2007 - FirstView Comments

Discussion in 'FirstViews [Archive]' started by huwevans, Jan 31, 2007.

1. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

Re: My View, NRoberts

D'oh had forgotten about this project....must make a note for next one! Uh!

David S. look lost without his *erhm* outfit! ;)

2. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

I had an interview in Kingston so had a rucksack, a portfolio and a hand luggage bag to carry so kept daily essentials to a bare minimum - and FOROT MY CAMERA! :mad: :mad: :mad: And I saw squillions of potential pictures yesterday :mad: So I snapped a few on the worst camera phone in the universe and now find it WONT EMAIL THEM TO ME, its knackered :mad: I am really not having a good day :mad:

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Felt like the latter... ;)

4. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

But a Camera IS an essential ;)

5. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

I know! Thats why I was upset - I forgot my camera! :eek: Everyday when I go out I check my pockets - purse, keys, phone, Travelcard, ID, dictaphone, camera...

I opened the bag and there was no camera! :eek: :( :(

And now theyve broken my phone too :(

6. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

:( Poor Nic...

7. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

Did I miss something on the brief? “a picture that captures some part of your day” - while mine was a little contrived, in that I had to place the objects on the paper - I was replacing a pin on my watch while seated at my computer desk at home, the paper arrived through the letter box (my front door is next to my desk) and the Leica was already cluttering my desk – so the three objects came to be in the same place at the same time - I thought it was possibly a more interesting shot than yet another computer desk, which had already been posted a couple of times earlier in the day!

The one submitted was my first grab shot. I liked the concept so much that later I worked on the objects and eventually came up with something I was a lot happier with...
    [​IMG]

8. Badgerman

Badgerman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Pam, What a brilliant shot, I laughed my socks off. :D :D

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with that one too. Beautiful contrast. Top shot!

10. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Personally, I think the key phrase is '.. photographic log of the daily activities of forum members...'. IMO it's not about creating, contriving, or setting up, or even post processing anything, it's about a snap/grab shot. It's not a competition, it's not really a place to show off your skills (per se), there are other areas of the forum for that.

Still, each to their own. I know which images are of innerest to me in regard to the spirit of this archive and, generally, they're nothing to do with artifice. ;)

11. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

Thanks Colin; that was 6 month old Henry's first attempt at feeding himself with a spoon. Bless!

12. ChrisBrookes

ChrisBrookes Well-Known Member

I just shot some ducks as I drove past them and thought "I have never seen those there before " So stopped and shot them ( with the camera!!) I posted here as I had forgotten about firstview ! heaven forbid ! Shocking, and I picked the picture I liked the most to post here ! I learned a lesson though, which is "if in doubt take your camera with you " As I traipsed all the way from the car park to check out the ducks and then traipsed all the way back to the car to get the camera and then all the way back again !! So in future I will take my camera with me anyway !!

13. Mr_Geoff

Mr_Geoff Well-Known Member

My shot wasn't created, contrived or set up- and although my visits to the doctor haven't become a daily event yet, thankfully!, they are a regular feature of my life. The building shown is part of Chelmsford that has seen better days - like me, and the blue sky signifies a new start/good news, for which I am also grateful....

14. Badgerman

Badgerman Well-Known Member

My shot is my new coffee machine which I bought myself for christmas, although it only arrived couple weeks ago, I dragged my sorry self out of bed (been on night shift) and sat in the kitchen in my dressing gown, cup of strong coffee in one hand, fag in the other - bliss........the start of a new day.

15. Bettina

Bettina Well-Known Member

My shot is from Kew - new Tropical Extravaganza exhibition - loads of orchids 'n stuff at the Princess of Wales Conservatory. I later went to the Destinations 2007 travel exhibition and the last act of the evening was Samba - which kind of tied it neatly together. The beginning of the day with the Paraiso School of Samba (when I'd just woken up) and the end of the day with the London School of Samba kind of rounded it off.

Problem with photography is, unless you create a still life set-up at your own home, is not something that comes to you but you have to go out and find a picture.

16. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Well I was stuck in the house between school runs and hospital visits. I stumbled over my subjects while tidying up the houseand posed them...guilty. I did take one pic insitu but that did not capture the detail that I had seen...n it caught my attention even more and I went into snapping mode (10minutes worth).
    Is this where I fell down or was it because mine was a close up? Looking through the views....the majority are posed or arranged shots..the remainder are casual street snaps. Should we be snapping casual streets snaps, shots illustrating what we are doing, significant events or just something interesting we see....but simply not putting any effort into it?

Confused??

Graeme

17. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

well i have posted the first pic i took on the first of each month, this months i had'nt even thought about till i logged on, my work stuff was on the table so got camera photographed it exactly as it was

i thought first view was to represent all or part of your day, you see something just take a pic
    like bradalax forgot his camera so used his phone,
    its just fun and you aint going to get critised if its not a good pic, something presents itself snap it

18. josie

josie Well-Known Member

Mine was a grab-shot - dead-heading duly completed and cuttings in "garden-waste-only" wheelie-bin. It was taken on the first camera I found that needed a film finishing. ;)

19. Jaded

Jaded Well-Known Member

Mine was part of my day. I passed into Feb 1st with my Tax Return form, stapler and indigestion tablets on my desk. They encapsulated the relief and stress. I moved them a bit, to make the composition a bit better. They were tidied and filed away soon after.

Like Graeme I am confused too about this part of the forum now! :D

20. APchris

APchris Well-Known Member

Re: Still at work.....!

Mine had to be posed as it featured me and taken with the self timer. I think it meets the '.. photographic log of the daily activities of forum members...' criteria but it could be said to be 'contrived' and 'set-up' and it doesn't really qualify as 'snap/grab' shot...

...so yeah, add me to the 'Confused of AP FirstView Forum' list :D