1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Favourites of the Year

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Zou, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

We did this last year I think - pick your favourite images of the year. This does NOT implicitly mean 'best' and this isn't a pi$$ing contest!

[​IMG]
    Weathered
    by Zou san, on Flickr

A phone snap for the forum theme, this is one I was rather pleased with. Quality is ok at small sizes only, but that's the limitation of the medium. The colour and texture made it one of my happier phonecam experiences of the year.

[​IMG]
    Drops and Thorns
    by Zou san, on Flickr

From Boxing Day. I've not done a lot of photography this year, so was pleased to get out on Boxing Day with just that in mind. Of the many pictures I took, this one was my pick - shows off the 50/1.4's ability to separate subjects and catch crisp detail, and the colour, well for me that's just lush and gorgeous. :) Getting a result like this has inspired me to get out more, so win-win!

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Very nice. :) I do wish for a good AF stabilised macro lens. Macro wildlife is something I'd like to try but is currently outwith the limits of the kit I have.

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

No pictures of yellow snow, then?

S

Zou likes this.
  5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

:D

Well we had plenty of warnings about it, but it never really materialised.

6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Geren, EightBitTony and Zou like this.
  7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I tend to forget earlier stuff very quickly and get immersed in what I'm doing now. So I always hope the current theme will be my best and my fave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Not quite the last of the summer wine...

Olympus E-PL5 8GB 03 P3250009.JPG

9. Andrew Flannigan

Simple pleasures...

Canon Eos 5D_one 8GB 08 IMG_3112.JPG

EightBitTony and steveandthedogs like this.
  10. Andrew Flannigan

Sleeping partners...

Canon Eos 5D_one 8GB 08 IMG_3168.JPG

EightBitTony likes this.
  11. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Favourites of the year? I can go with that! My three favourites are:

This one, because I managed to get exactly the effect I was looking for...

[​IMG]Abstract Trees 2 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

This one, because I'd never tried taking pictures at a concert before and I ended up with far more 'keepers' than I could cope with:

[​IMG]Pacific 1 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

And finally, this one, because it's my nephews' favourite 'spooky tree' and they both loved the picture:

[​IMG]Spooky Tree by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

Cheers, Jeff

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

My hit rate goes down as my age goes up! Still, here's a favourite selection from this year.

fave 3 ap.jpg fave 4 ap.jpg fave 1 ap.jpg

13. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

dream_police, AlanW, Geren and 2 others like this.
  14. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

No real standouts for me this year but if pushed I'll settle with these:

for anyone looking for a top to go with their Louis Vuitton Master's Collection bag:
    DSC6674 Monet.jpg

Edinburgh Pride:
    DSC2987 Pride.jpg

and finally
    DSC7521 Kick Ass.jpg

Alan

15. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

Zou, dream_police, Geren and 3 others like this.
  16. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

170919-005.jpg
    I have a large frame which currently holds a limited edition print with bad memories and I need something to replace it with. I was quite pleased when I took this because it features the same river as the print I no longer want, but from a completely different perspective, time of day and with all new associations. I like the calm too. When I can spare the cash, I'm going to have it printed and up on the wall.

171017-Glasgow-038.jpg

This chap swigging his Irn Bru in the middle of Riverside Museum just amused me.

171020-Helensburgh-025.jpg

As did my discovery that this was not in fact a rarely sighted fungus but someone's discarded breakfast roll.

171001-Helensburgh-010.jpg

And finally this one, because a) It is of my lovely daughter and b) It is a reminder of a wonderful gesture from a very kind resident of Stornoway - my poor cold wee fingers thank you! Over and over again!

17. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Shit, I'm in real trouble then!

Zou and Catriona like this.
  18. EightBitTony

You're all an inspiring bunch of folk.

Zou and Catriona like this.
  19. EightBitTony

Three for me.

I love this shot because it reminds me what you can achieve if you step out of your comfort zone and literally into the middle of the parade, instead of standing on the kerb.

[​IMG]Orange! by Tony Evans, on Flickr

This is a favourite of mine because it reminds me that even if you know what you want, you might have to wait hours to get it and even then, it might not be enough and you might have to go back. Sometimes photograph is excellence in a single moment, and other times its hours of waiting. I still haven't got the shot I want, but I know where to go and stand to try and get it.

[​IMG]The Stairs by Tony Evans, on Flickr

And lastly, a phone camera shot. If you're on Facebook you may have seen or been tagged in the 'take 5 black and white photographs, without explanation or people' thing that's been doing the rounds. Those kinds of things annoy me, people usually know not to tag me ;) However, I do love a bit of B&W so I just started snapping random stuff around me and posting them (without tagging anyone, so rude), and this one was a surprise to me, so it'll stick in my memory for a while.

IMG_20171220_215918_x800_hq.jpg

20. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

This is my favourite shot of 2017, mainly because the window of opportunity with the light was so small. It lasted for no more than 30 seconds before the shot was gone.

Birch.jpg