1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite of 2016

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Zou, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Please use this thread to post your favourite image you made this year.

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

An interesting question - not the one that I think is my best, but the one that's my favourite...well, here we go...

[​IMG]Jeff Johnson Wide by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

Cheers, Jeff

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I like that a lot, Jeff. Perfect angle/comp/lighting and processing. You should be very proud of that one.

I was in several minds, but plumped for this one. It reminds me of my walks in the castle grounds - and my new home too.

fave 3 ap.jpg

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to decide between a picture of our recently adopted cat (who has been a bright point in an otherwise dark year) or a picture from our trip to Japan, which was very emotional. My father in law survived a massive ruptured AAA, becoming one of the 1.5% to make it through.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

APĀ²001072.jpg

Modern architecture (1543) meets modern architecture (late 20th/early 21st century)

Lynn

AdrianSadlier likes this.
  6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I know! It was awfully difficult to choose. The bright spot for me was moving into town. I still miss the old house and garden and wildlife but I know I am feeling calmer and have made lots of new friends, which helps a lot!

lisadb and Zou like this.
  7. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

For me it would have to be this one, mainly because I don't do many portraits. I was passing through the Indycamp outside the Scottish Parliament back in March and got talking to Jonah, a nice guy who'd been travelling around the UK in a converted ambulance for the past 11 years, he'd chanced upon the camp and decided to pitch up for a week of so, and was made very welcome even though he's English :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Craig20264, miked, daft_biker and 3 others like this.
  8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

This has to be my favourite of the year. It probably best represents the moment that I feel I made the transition from being a cheerful novice to having belief in my own abilities as a photographer.

[​IMG]snake by Martin Bone, on Flickr

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Oh crumbs - no idea! I'll have to go and have a rummage through the files. Lots of great inspiration here though!

10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

No outstanding ones but several I like very much. This on is called "New Gloves" on account of it being his birthday and the gloves were a present from me New gloves 2    1024.JPG

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I've decided to plump for this one.

[​IMG]Going Home by Zou san, on Flickr

Not the greatest or probably even a 'favourite' in any other time, but stacked full of meaning. We were heading back home after visiting the father in law in hospital. The cars, the cyclist, the moped, lots of people on different journeys. The sun was setting and we were happy, knowing that he was through the worst - he'd just been able to speak to us for the first time. He also was on a journey home, which he completed a few days ago, after months in first the ICU, then regular wards, then residential rehab.

As an image, I like the tonality and colour, even though it is limited from being shot on my phone through a car window. I like the structure and composition too. So I think it is a worthy choice all in all. :)

dream_police, SXH, Geren and 5 others like this.
  12. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Young quartet of tourists viewing the 'Shoes' memorial by the river Danube in Budapest. This memorial commemorates the Jewish victims of Hungarian Nazi collaborators in 1945 who tied groups of Jews together on the river bank, shot one of the group and if they did not fall, pushed them into the river to drown. The sculpted metal shoes line the section of the Danube where the atrocities were committed. Only one victim survived the atrocity
    onlookersbudapestshoes.jpg

13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Mmmm, i don't really know. At the moment it's probably this one.

[​IMG]Caught by Nigel G, on Flickr

SXH, miked, Catriona and 5 others like this.
  14. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Lousy shot and developing, but it's my Gel, so I don't care.

[​IMG]Gel by Steve Ashton, on Flickr

S

SXH, Catriona, AlanW and 2 others like this.
  15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

foxcub-1.jpg

16. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Winter Sunlight by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

It's hard to choose - but at the moment, this is probably my favourite, taken 2 days after Christmas last year. For once, the dogs were kept out of (actually removed) from shot.

It was in that calm period between the stress of the build up to Christmas and the madness that is New Year's eve. It was a quiet, peaceful scene that suited my mood at the moment. And the light was lovely.

17. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

As others have said, hard to choose a single favourite, but I was pleased with this one.

[​IMG]Pagan Pride by Tony Evans, on Flickr

I'd taken a lot of shots of the Pagan Pride assembly, but I wanted a slightly different view, the lady with her smartphone obliged (not posed btw, she was just holding it at that angle).

18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

16-10-01_ScottKelby-013A.jpg

After a lot of agonising, I've plumped for this one. There are several other, better shots that I like more but don't have the digital scans available at home (they're stuck in art school on a portable hard drive. Must transfer them to main computer soon, before they get lost!) This one was taken during the 2016 Glasgow leg of the Scott Kelby Worldwide Photowalk from the St. Andrew's Suspension Bridge over the Clyde in the east end of Glasgow as the rowing club went out to practise. I live on the seafront in Helensburgh and have a direct view of the Clyde from our flat but it's a very different beast at that point, being used by huge cruise liners, submarines, tankers and cargo ships as well as smaller sailing boats and the rather wonderful Waverley. At the point where this photo was taken the water is calm and smooth and in the midst of a big industrial city, almost rural. The photowalks are a lot of fun - there's a friendly sense of competition between the (up to 50) photographers, all competing for a killer shot on the same walk during the same 2 hour slot. It's nice to get out and join other people for a day out and a pint at the end as you compare your snags. Inevitably there are a lot of very similar shots so I was pleased with this somewhat abstract take on the day - oars and their reflections, the blue water indicating what a glorious day it had been and the tower block creeping in at the top to remind us of where we were. I big-headedly thought it was the best shot among those that had been submitted but at the last minute someone put in a killer action shot of a rower going directly under the bridge. The perspective was fantastic so I didn't feel too cheated. The image serves to remind me that there are a million people out there better than me, that I love doing it anyway and that getting out with other people every now and then is no bad thing! (Oh, and also, that Glasgow can be absolutely wonderful!)

miked, SXH, daft_biker and 4 others like this.
  19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

You want me to choose a favourite from my babies? :eek:

Actually, the nearest to a favourite is a record shot of dubious quality, taken in bad light with my old pocket camera:
    [​IMG]

Why? Well, class 456s are mainly used on south London suburban routes, rarely used on lines passing through Staines (usually to Weybridge), and I had finally managed to get pictures of all of the four and a half* classes of train that normally stop here.

* There were two sub-types of class 458 - while they converted them to just one type.

daft_biker, lisadb and AdrianSadlier like this.
  20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I know, horrid isn't it?

I actually love that your chosen favourite (or nearest thing to) is not the best photograph in the world. Just goes to show that for all the technical know-how and critique that goes on, sometimes it's just the things that mean the most that are the best!