1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fanboy in the making

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by willie45, Oct 29, 2014.

1. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I've never been that much of a gear head. I enjoy taking pictures and whatever helps me do that works for me. I don't drool over Holgas, Leicas or get all horny about exotic manual focus lenses. The last SLR I had that I loved for it's own sake was the Olympus OM1 but Fuji are certainly making me change my mind. I am taken with their X Pro 1 and XT-1 cameras in a way that has never been the case since my film Olympus days.

I don't know if it's just a phase of my life or their gear but I suspect that its the latter. Now I still have my Canon DSLRs and I don't envisage replacing them anytime soon, but I love the results these Fuji cameras produce; just in jpeg as it comes. I love the knobs and dials and I love the metal-ness of them. Yummy!

I've got the two I mentioned and now, for no other reason than desire, I have an eye on the X100T.

I'm amazed there isn't more of a fish about these on these forums.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

We must be going through the same phase, Will. Even my GP said to me the other day, to treat myself to a new camera and swan off to Venice! It must be obvious to medics. Haha!

3. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

I haven't got one but I do admire them. Fuji have got in spot on.

4. willie45

Hi, Kate, did you get round to buying one? I know you were considering it the other day.

BTW I meant to say more of a "fuss" not "fish" but you were kind enough to let it go ;)

5. willie45

My 18 yo stepson came in the other day and had a look at my Fuji on the table. Even he commented on how stylishly "retro" it looked.

6. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I think RovingMike might just say 'Humph!' :D

7. willie45

Yes he seems to have had a bit of a bad experience with them there. I haven't tried their customer support for the X range but clearly they'll have to do better than they did with RM if they hope to take a bigger slice of the pro market.

Mind you the worst experience I ever had was with Nikon and I've heard of bad things going on with Canon too, so I'm hoping Mike's was an isolated or at least unusual problem.

8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

True but they were the little'uns. That's my personal beef with Fuji. They had a good product, the X-10 and it was received with enthusiasm. There were some issues with it and the X-20 was said to be a better camera in the same compact body. There were still refinements that could have been made, within that overall package, and an X-30 incorporating such would probably have found an enthusiastic buyer in me. Instead, they have made changes, dropping the optical viewfinder, increasing the size. :(

RovingMike's issues with Fuji were exacerbated by appalling customer service. Bad for any business but for Fuji who are on record as saying the UK is one of, if not their most important export markets it doesn't do a lot to win friends & repeat business.

I think camera companies need to slow down and reassess where their frantic model releases have taken them. Fuji now have a confusing range of models available whereas a few years ago it seemed like a neat portfolio of purposeful cameras where, indeed, the affluent consumer could justify owning one of each. More diversity doesn't necessary equal more customers but can multiply customer care problems.

9. willie45

I must agree that in general camera companies are in a bit of a weird place just now. I'm happy with the path Canon have taken, and I'm also pleased with Fuji as I've said. They have only 3 models that interest me and each one is excellent as far as my needs are concerned they fit me perfectly well.

What I've liked about how they have developed is the way they have upgraded existing cameras with firmware updates. They've been very generous in this regard and far better than any other manufacturer as far as I know. They also published a clear roadmap for lens development which meant customers knew pretty much what was on offer and when and could plan accordingly.

At the moment they're product range suits me absolutely fine. I'll let them worry about their future strategy but I'd say they're ahead of the game on most counts.