1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faith Is On The Street

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by paulyrichard, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulyrichard

paulyrichard Active Member

More additions for my three year photo project in documentin' and reportin' the homeless in London.

I've known Columbo for about a month now, I got the opportunity to get his portrait today in a way that I like.
    He is a very likeable man. He always has a smile, and if he recognises you on the streets in Whitechapel, you will feel his cheer.
    He doesn't ask me for money at all, he likes to have his picture taken! He likes to pose, which is a bane for me really, but I got him in this shot how I wanted him, so it was OK.
    I could jus' as well have taken his picture and run, so to speak. But I don't, today I gave him three cigarettes and £2.

In the winter instead of givin' them money you can help them by givin' them cookin' foil, or foil bought from tent or campin' stores, it keeps them warm bigstyle. They value this in the winter months.

[​IMG]

Click to view - 108k

Moderators Note: Your photo has been changed to a link as it exceeds the 100k limit of the AP Forums. Your photo is 108k

2. 4BIKER2

4BIKER2 Well-Known Member

I like these :cool:

3. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

I prefer this sort of thing to what Lee Jeffries is doing.

Nice stuff mate!

*Waits for Terry to come along...*

4. JaySteel

JaySteel Well-Known Member

Nice potrait. Very natural looking.

5. paulyrichard

Thanks guys.

Steve, i've jus' checked Lee's work. I find that he hasn't told the full truth with his images. He's portraits are all the same, and I found that viewin' the images all I saw were textures. His characters are soulless, that is definately not the case on the streets of London.

What I am tryin' to do with my reportage is to document every aspect of these guys lives on the street. Environmentally, socially, emotionally, sympathetically and thoughtfully. Somethin' that is missin' in his photos, I feel.

The reason for that I believe is that I think he is solely relyin' on purveyin' an artistic image everytime. After all, he is tryin' to sell 'em!

6. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Well there's something missing in your posts, pointlessly replaced by an apostrophe.

7. paulyrichard

Whats that gotta' do with anythin'!

If thats all you can say and not offer up any constructive viewpoint otherwise, you sound like a child who's spilt his milk!

Come back when you have somethin' more worthwhile to say, your point is too inane for me.

8. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Come on Barney, he's allowed to disagree with you...there's no need for that.

9. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

[grumpy old fart mode]

Must say I agree with Barney for once, it is a pointless affectation unless you are writing dialogue in a novel or play, it's just as easy to hit the correct letter instead of the apostrophe key.

[/grumpy old fart mode off]

10. paulyrichard

Inanity Defense On - I can type 60 words a minute, so why is that? The apostrophe is there to be hit jus' like any other letter! - Inanity Defense Off

It seems you've only come onto my thread jus' to agree inanely to an inane point. Why not talk about the photo/s, isn't that the point?

Honestly, life is too short!!

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah, it's an inane defence alright. It's just plain irritating, and the pics don't need it - it makes me think of Janet Street Porter trying to get hip and down with the kids, not a pretty sight. ;) It's the sort of thing that works for occasional effect, but just grates when overused. Just because the key is there doesn't mean it has to be used in substitution for the right one... just sayin'. ;)

Anyway, to the pic: not sure about the background in this one - it's not really obvious enough to be environment, but is a bit distracting. But you've made the guy come over as likeable, for sure - it's a decent effort.

12. paulyrichard

Sometimes, I despair with people who moan and complain about the most trivial things like you guys, especially in a thread as this. I don't know if you've noticed what i've stated in my other threads in dealin' with the homeless. But i'll reiterate a small part of it here.
    I talk to these homeless guys and I know their stories. Never do I hear them complainin' and whinin' about trivial things in the same way as you guys. Never! And they have a lot to moan about!

In comparison, is it really so bad about the way I use an apostrophe, is it?!
    You see their misfortune in my photographs, thats if you've looked, and all you can do is complain about an apostrophe without a word said about their plight.

You need to have a word with yourselves!

13. sey

sey Well-Known Member

It's not only the apostrophe that's a pointless affectation. It's his whole immature, pompous, arrogant, aggressive attitude which he affects to cover up his mediocre, hackneyed, very cliched photography.

I love the gall he has criticizing Lee Jeffries in the most condescending manner possible. Doesn't like the competition apparently.

14. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

The phrase "pot calling the kettle black" comes to mind.

What you've just said is plain rude. You call him aggressive and condescending, when you've essentially just attacked him for voicing an opinion. How dare he!

Maybe I've found the answer to my question in the lounge on why people join and never post...they just see how welcome people make others feel from time to time.

Oh, and while I'm at it...I think people are forgetting that this is the Exhibition Lounge.

15. paulyrichard

Does Lee Jeffries own you or somethin'?!

Do me a favour! Immature, why?, Pompous, why?, Arrogant, why? Aggressive, why?

Mediocre, hackneyed, cliched? Have you taken a step back and looked at your images from the street? Man, your the arrogant one, and your images represent the above in this paragraph and what is worst and mundane in photography.

But thats OK with me.
    There is no competition in photography, so what are you talkin' about, I suggest you grow up and think before you make wild and unfounded statements!

Your wastin' my time, idiot!

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

MODERATOR'S NOTE

Come on now, guys, cut the personal stuff, please.

Paul, I had missed the fact you've posted this in the Exhibition Gallery, which means it's not the place for critique - do you want it moved to the Appraisal Gallery, or are you happy to leave it here for (hopefully) a more civilised debate on different approaches to similar subjects?

17. sey

sey Well-Known Member

It's not his criticsm that is in question, it's his attitude that grates.

People who come on aggressively and cockily from the very word go, can not and should not expect to be warmly welcomed. This is not a 'make-you-feel-good' group therapy session, it's a photographic forum. From his very first posts he aggressively attacked/trashed the forum rules, then trashed Lee Jeffries work (that was more then just an opinion!) and has not stopped his spin and self promotion. All this brings into doubt the sincerity of his motives. Is he photographing the homeless to help them or is it to help himself?

Yes, explain that to him. He finds the need first to attack the forum rules, then to affectatiously verbally explain, defend and self-promote his photography here in the Exhibition Lounge.

18. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

No need for what? Pointing out a self indulgent affectation? (And whether he agrees with me or not is irrelevent)

19. sey

sey Well-Known Member

No, until the AP article of a week ago and the subsequent discussion in the Lounge, had never seen nor heard of the guy, let alone his work.

redundant rhetorical questions and I don't owe you any favours.

Well I feel confidant, safe and secure enough about my photography to post it in the Exhibition Lounge without comment. I don't need to come on strong about how good I am and how bad others are. It's only when others trash the 'competition' irrationally that I see red.

Interesting, no competition, huh?!?!
    You've been doing your thing for 3 years as you managed to point out a number of times, but we'd never seen nor heard of you. Within days of Lee Jeffries coming to our notice, suddenly you are here and very loudly so, interesting coincidence.
    As for growing up, I'm more than twice your physical age, probably 4 times older mentally and I think very carefully before I say something.

Waste of time, not worth a response.

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Can I remind you all this is the Exhibition Gallery - not the place for critique/comparison with other photographers' work. [Edit] - Drat, Nick beat me to it! [/edit]

Personally I think it's a great picture, thanks for posting it. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.