1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Fairly SOBER Today !

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by PeteE, Sep 13, 2018.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

2 of Brentwood's homeless 'Characters' -- usually DRUNK but today they actually were drinking COFFEE and complaining that Brentwood Borough Council has taken their bedding. They wanted their Picture on the 'Front Page' but I told them all local freelance photographers have gone broke as the newspapers no longer pay for Freelance Photos.
    [​IMG]Fairly Sober Today by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    Olympus E-1 from 2003 + Zuiko Digital 14-45mm f3.5-5.6 zoom

Roger Hicks likes this.
  2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

• The council may well want to clear the homeless from its streets but harrassing the homeless does not solve the problems of either the council or the homeless themselves.
    • Newspapers are losing circulation and advertising revenue. They can't afford to pay photographers and don't need to; they get enough free.
    This pair seem not to be aggressive.
    If a newspaper did print this photograph of them then what would be the tenor of the article?
    I guess that the Mail and Guardian would concoct very different stories.

peterba and Roger Hicks like this.
  3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

There's always money for booze...

PeteE likes this.
  4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Chester,

Sure. In Prague once, over 20 years ago, I gave a beggar a dollar. A woman nearby said disapprovingly, "He'll only spend it on drink, you know!"

I replied, "Why shouldn't he? It's his dollar. In his situation, I'd probably spend it on drink too."

Her face was transformed. She smiled beautifully and said, "That is SO wise! Thank you!"

Then there was the time in Paris, even longer ago, when I had no cash on me. There were some beggars in a bus shelter next to a shop I was about to enter. I explained that I was very sorry, but I had no francs on me. I added a bottle of cheap red wine to my purchases (that was what they were drinking) and gave it to them when I came out.

Yes, alcohol can be bad for you. It can also bring at least temporary joy; and even temporary joy is better than no joy at all.

Cheers,

R.

PeteE and peterba like this.
  5. Chester AP

Really, I was questioning spending priorities.
    Perhaps giving to beggars is comparable to taxation, in that we believe we should have the right to says how the money is used, but in truth we never do.

They man on the right appears to have decent pair of walking boots too - these don't come cheap.

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Good grief, are you one of those people who stalk the folk parking in disabled bays to make sure they look disabled enough? Perhaps his boots were donated by a charity. Or a kind stranger gave them to him. Or they were his in a previous life when he wasn't homeless.

7. Roger Hicks

A couple of years ago I saw a Porsche in a disabled parking bay. "Typical!", I thought. It is of course well known that disabled living allowances are far too high: if they weren't, far fewer disabled drivers could afford the Porsches you so often see parked in such bays <IRONY ALERT OFF> . Then a guy in a wheelchair rolled up; heaved himself into the driver's seat; and leaned out and folded his wheelchair before stowing it behind him.

Cheers,

R.

8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Then I suggest you start with some reading on poverty, spending and homelessness, so that you're informed rather than reactionary.

Oh, and mental health.

Edit: hmm, not lounge, I'll leave it there.

9. Chester AP

Give most voters the choice of higher taxes to provide a fairer and more equitable society, or lower taxes so that they can maintain their lifestyle, and we all know the result. Personally I think this is short-sighted, because the police then spend far too much time on responding to social problems instead of catching criminals and the social 'cost' increases.

There is a difference between being reactionary and unfeeling, and daring to ask if booze has become more important than food or shelter. Asking questions like this, and risking upsetting people who don't like them, is part of trying to understand the problem. And for many sufferers, booze and mental health are linked. Clearly the problem has got much worse in the last forty two years, and some drugs may be as easily available as alcohol.

When I was eighteen I once had to spend the night on Victoria station in London, and once they had confirmed I wasn't some kind of religious 'do-gooder', two 'gentleman of the street' took me to a Salvation Army soup kitchen and I spent some time with them and their friends. Some of them were obviously alcoholics, but all the ones I met were ordinary people who had lost their jobs, their homes, and ended up on the streets. The nice Salvation Army lady told me that they were her regulars, but that I should watch out for the 'druggies and nutters'. When I got the first train home early on Sunday morning, I realised that my time had been well spent: a formative experience for a middle class boy from the suburbs.

10. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

If one is on one's feet all day, I'd say a decent pair of boots is a priority. Besides, they don't look that expensive - the Sports Direct bag is a clue that they probably came from there, and they sell everything from no-name crap to Karrimor crap and a few others which are half decent. Just took my wife up to Whalley to get fitted for some boots, and I needed a drink after that:D

11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Odd statement that. I've been using a pair of Karrimor boots for several years without problems so perhaps we can classify your statement as crap? :cool:

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Current Karrimor gear is generally pretty crap, certainly compared to the level it used to be. KSBs were the high water mark in fabric boots for years, and the rucksacks were pretty much the best there were, as were the sleeping mats. However, after they went bust and Sports Direct bought the brand name, the kit has been far more miss than hit, mostly being cheap (relative) rubbish. So no, Andy's statement is quite correct IMHO.

13. Andrew Flannigan

...but doesn't agree with my experience so we'll have to agree to differ.

14. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

How long have you had them? Brashers USED to be good. So, I am told, were Karrimors until they went bust and Sports Direct bought the name.

So perhaps we can classify your observation as aggressive and lacking nuance.

Cheers,

R.

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Or we could just agree that your statement was the crap one, and you could apologise to Andy for the unwarranted aggression. ;)
    If you're happy with the cheap Chinese stuff currently under the brand name, that's fine and dandy. If you genuinely think it's even remotely as good as Karrimor kit used to be, then you're probably in a minority of one.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  16. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Some people think that all disabled folk are on benefits and should, therefore, not be able to afford luxuries, whereas the truth is that a lot of them are in employment; many in highly paid jobs where they can afford cars like Porsches. (Not getting at you Roger btw - I did spot your irony alert :) )

17. Andrew Flannigan

Fair enough. Perhaps he could apologise for his original use of the word and then you could apologise for writing "Or we could just agree that your statement was the crap one" while we're at it? That way way we'll all have apologised to one another and tranquility will be restored. :D

18. Roger Hicks

Indisputably true. On the other hand I cannot help wondering how many of the Porsches and BMWs that one sees in disabled bays actually belong to disabled people.

Cheers,

R.

19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

This morning I sullied my eyes by reading a story on the online version of the Daily Mail. (I scan the site every now and then under the premise that it's not a bad idea to 'know thine enemy') There was a lead story about a massively overweight woman with diabetes having been left for hours in a soiled bed. I knew before I got there that that comments section would be alight with righteous comments about this self-inflicted drain on resources but one in particular had me a little confused. A photograph of the woman in question showed her sitting wodged into an uncomfortable chair near a table on which was a paper/plastic cup with a lid on it bearing the logo for Costa Coffee. The comment that caused me puzzlement read as follows: "Diabetic? And drinking Costa?" I am really not sure what the connection is. Unless it's to suggest that anyone stupid enough to give themselves Type 2 diabetes must be too stupid to get a job that could fund drinking costa coffee and therefore they must have nicked it.

20. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Blimey -- I must upload MORE Snaps like THIS one -- it's had loads of Comments that I didn't read into the pic when i took it !