1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Failed deterrent.

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by dream_police, Jun 1, 2018.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Presumably it would require permission of the landowner and, up here at least, a license that costs £72 for 5 years before you can buy an air rifle.

Only skimmed this quickly but hopefully I got the gist of it.... http://www.scotland.police.uk/about...es-and-charges/firearms/air-weapon-licensing/

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

It would also depend on the ft/lb of the weapon. Above 12 (I think) it will become a S1 firearm for which a licence is required. Martin is absolutely right, I would need to ensure I have an adequate backstop before shooting and the pellet is not allowed to go beyond my garden. It's all a moot point though, as I do not possess one (Although I was looking at some the other day in the local farm supply store), am not allowed to buy one, nor will my wife and daughter permit me to kill anything.
    I'm not under the thumb though. Really.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Car battery and some judicious wiring should be dissuasive. Just don't short it by accident.

4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

12ft lb is maximum without license.
    Need to be minimum 50 metres from public access land.

6ftlb for pistol, which should do the job, but as you aren't allowed weapons, you could always take up falconry and see if you can borrow a golden eagle:D

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Not sure if an Eagle would be that friendly to my cats or the multitude of small birds that visit. Would be pretty cool though.
    I have now just smeared the pole with chilli infused oil. Lets see if they like that!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Overkill. A Harris Hawk would be ideally suited to the job.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Iirc the poster lives in the USA, so it will be legal.