1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Facebook

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Brian, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Am I the only one on this benighted planet that thinks 'Facebook' is utterly and completely pointless.

I note it's valued at $50,000,000,000 so cannot add valueless to my list.

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Well of course it's pointless......I'm on it aren't I! :eek: :D :D :D ;)

Big(Waste of time! :eek:)Will

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

No you're not alone Brian. I was dragged into having an account by the kids at the last school I worked at but have never used it since I retired. I think it's mainly aimed at a (very) younger generation :)

4. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I think you either like it or hate it.

I use it to show my photography to my friends and family and keep in touch with old school pals. One of them is into photography as well. :)

5. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

What Will said and P_Stoddart said :)

Cheers,

Jack

6. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Like you Brian I see absolutely no point whatsoever in it`s existence.
    I seems to me to be a young person`s fashion accessory.They all use it. :)

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

The biggest thing that social media have done is to make it possible for a whole new range of cross-border and cross-cultural communities to form and thrive.
    So the basis for tribal bonding has been altered and in a way which is very unlikely to bring them into conflict with eachother.
    Except I think it is time we photographers went mob handed to finish with those nerdy geeks in chessgames.com. ;)

8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Which is what they, without exception, would say about the site we are wasting our time in now.

Whoops slip of the finger. Meant to copy this line:

9. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmmm,you could well be right there Mike :eek: :D

10. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

What's Facebook?

11. Still_Togging_Along

Still_Togging_Along In the Stop Bath

Facebook is undoubtedly an amazing tool enabling communities, cultures and associations to keep in touch and leave a 'footprint' of their activities, whilst the mobile phone and text-messaging doesn't have anything like the same impact.

Unfortunately, it's also being used by those who see it as a way of broadcasting their inane whitterings, until they realise that employers and their Peers can also read their stuff and use it to make judgements on what kind of person they are ... At that point, some people realise using it, has backfired on them, and then no longer use it.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's a great way to keep in touch with people far away - I have much more contact with my brother and sisters than before, as I wouldn't pick up the phone to tell them something minor, wheres it's dead easy with Facebook. I contact my Septic relatives once a week, instead of just the annual Christmas card. And we've got to know my brother's Fillipino wife-to-be and her family in a way that just wouldn't have been possible before. No, Facebook is brilliant. It's Twitter I struggle with.

13. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

I have a facebook account - I joined to see someone's wedding photos (not worth seeing IMO, anyway!) because their photographer would only allow them to be shown on FB and not via any other sites.

Can't remember my password or the e-mail account I used to set up the account, so don't use FB at all. Still get mails from them (hmmmm... there's a clue as to which account I used!) but send them straight to the trash - if anyone wants to talk to me, use the phone or e-mail!

14. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

So it's not just me with no interest in ar$ebook! Can't be bothered with tw@tter either :D

15. Linux_Lady

Linux_Lady Well-Known Member

I use both Facebook and Twitter and I think that different people use it for different things and as long as you've got similar 'goals' to your friends then it's a really good tool.

For example - I have no desire to log on and read 20 moping passive agressive, attention seeking updates from a 'friend' I haven't seen for 5 years*....

'Mildred just doesn't see the point any more'

'Mildred thinks some people need to grow up'

'Mildred wonders how some people can be so cruel'

Nor do I have any desire to see 300+ baby photographs a week, not even if aforesaid baby is dressed in a 'cute' new outfit.

However - I do find Facebook really useful for organising events and notifying all my friends and family at once about something.... It's much easier to coordinate an event on Facebook than say, email / mobile or post... and it's also easier to write one status update on your own profile, than tell 20-30 people individually.

I don't play farmville or any other games on there as I find them pointless - Nor do I collect jewels or 'points' for anything... So my main reason for Facebook is getting a lot of information to and from people in a short space of time.

*I recently culled a LOT of my 'friends' and mostly now have only the people I genuinely have an interest in....

16. Seven

Seven ..or eight

lol Mr T did my reply pm prompt this ;)

I think FB is great, bit like soaps on the telly great way to think about nothing. Post a few pointless messages, check up on daughters movements (now she's flown the nest), catch up on relatives abroad, meet new friends, catch up with old friends more importantly be able to chose those friends, post a few pictures and this week have a laugh at DD and the gangs French :)

I've pretty much given up on forums, although only belong here and my own!
    It's all the same thing really except for forums have rules and regs and are in general attracting those in the same hobby.

No one argues on FB (that I know of) no spats no tantrums and you can say what you like because you really are amongst friends :)

I find FB far more personal than a huge forum like this one.

But of course it's not everyones cuppa tea :)

17. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Well-Known Member

Find it a wonderful work tool as I continue to work with ex-pupils (oldest one is now 40) and this is a great way to keep up to date with everybody and organise reunions and such

Though confidential information still goes through more personal routes, phone and email

18. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

I used to take the Mick and deride it and it's users, however I have to say I nether like or dislike Facebook per se. It has it's uses - keeping in touch with friends and family in your own time, at your leisure. Getting in touch with likeminded folk etc. I look at it as a collection on modern ephemera and come and go to it. My wife uses it far more regularly to keep up with her mates.
    What is not for me is the slavish following (or posting) of inane junk about people's lives. The sort of "I'm on the train!" mobile phone syndrome. It also has it's pitfalls if used without thought to the consequences.
    Like mobile phones, I don't think it's right to say they are all bad or all good - they have their uses. And like all electronic equipment, they come with a simple choice facility - switch it off!
    :D

19. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Not really Tanya.

Although spurred on by the response here I have tried to have another look. And failed, it keeps asking for passwords. If you press the 'forgotten' button it just repeats itself. I must say one great moan was I found the whole site a complex muddle.........should have felt at home but I didn't.

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Brian, I agree that, at first glance, Facebook is pointless however, I have over the past couple of years regained contact with a number of friends and arranged meals and outings with others.

Yes the meals and outings could have been arranged by other means but reconnecting with old friends wouldn't have happened.