1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

FA 28-105mm f3.2-4.5 AL, IF

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by cgproudfoot, May 25, 2002.

1. cgproudfoot

cgproudfoot Well-Known Member

I just thought I'd share some recent experience. I bought this lens as a replacement for my FA 28-70mm F4.0AL.

I got my first results back today. Thsy are good. I could email a sample or two if anyone is interested.

The lens is better built than the 28-70 F4.0, which has a loose front element. The IF also makes a big difference. The lens also comes with a lens hood.

I use a PZ1 (originally bought in Canada) and the new lens in black suits the camera very well. I also have an MZ5n body.

Other lenses I have include an FA 20-35mm f4.0, FA 50mm f1.7, FA 100mm f2.8 Macro, F 70-210 f4.5-5.6 (a superb lens not made any more) and an FA 300 f4.5.

I am thinking ofgetting a 1.4x converter for my 300mm. Has anyone any recommendations ?

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

am thinking ofgetting a 1.4x converter for my 300mm. Has anyone any recommendations ?

Do Pentax make one? Unless funds are limited I would have thought the manufacturers own converters are going to be matched better. There are some very highly regarded 3rd party ones, but they are produced so as to be effective on as many makes as possible.

<font color=red>Put your headcoats on!</font color=red>

3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Chris,

Firstly, I would say if you want to stay with an AF 1.4X, I would go for
    the Tamron(AF)converter. I have had the opportunity to use one and it
    worked reasonably well. Although, I suspect you amy find more Sigma
    (1.4X) converters in your area of the world.

I would be curious to see the results of the (new) FA 28-105 lens as I
    had the old (slower) FA28-105 lens which I found very sharp but a tad
    on the slow side......so I went for the Pentax/Tamron 28-200. I traded
    the 28-105 and my 100-300 in. Also, I have had the opportunity to use
    the FA 28-70 AL lens and it was a very sharp lens, not as sharp, perhaps
    as the FA 28-70/2.8 but difference in sharpness is not equal to the difference
    in price which is what a French photo magasine reported.

Also, what are you feelings regarding the FA 20-35/4 lens??

I have two(2) PZ-1's currently, I would have had an additional three(3)
    PZ-1's had they not been stolen along with my Pentax 200/2.5 and 85/1.8.&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/frown.gif"&gt;.

Cheers,

Jack

not digital but film, so far, but digital is
    starting to seduce me.

4. cgproudfoot

Jack,

If you let me have your email address I will send you a couple of pictures from the (new) 28-105mm. I use a Nikon Coolscan IV. As I said the new 28-105 seems to be much better built than the 28-70 AL. I hope it will be just that little bit more useful with the longer range. I have an F 35-105 lens also. But this lens (except at 105 (macro)) will not focus close so I have hardly used it. The new 28-105 focusses real close throughout its range.

I will also check out the Tamron 1.4xAF.

I really like the AF 20-35mm. I must admit that when I use it I almost always use 20mm !! It is cheaper than a fixed 20mm at any rate. Pictures are sharp and contrasty. It is probably the lens I use most. It is certainly the lens I enjoy most. Again I could email some pictures if you would like.

I am vacationing this summer in Yellowstone Park in the USA so I hope to get some use out of my FA 300mm. In theory it is the best lens I have got, but in practice I have not used it too much.

Christopher

5. Done_rundleCams

Hi Chris,

I have the A-series 20/2.8 and on several occasions almost traded in for
    the FA 20-35 lens but I haven't for the exact reason you mention. Always,
    using the lens at the 20mm range. Although over here, the prices for the AF 20/2.8 and the FA 20-30/4 are not that drastically different.

I had the 'F 35-135' lens and, again, for the exact same reason as you mention
    I got the FA 28-105/4-5.6 lens, great macro and all the way through.

Have you given any thought to the MZ-S?

Good luck with the Theory and Practice lens. Hopefully, you will be able
    to find a 1.4AF converter and try it at home before you leave on your journey.

Cheers,

Jack

PS: I sent you my email address to your profile thingy.&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt;

starting to seduce me.

6. cgproudfoot

Hi Jack,

I did not get your email but have sent mine "private".

I did think about the MZ-S but like my PZ1 too much !! I am too used now to the hyper buttons on the PZ1. I have never found the autofocus lacking, either, and that seems to be the main "advantage" of the MZ-S. Also in terms of flash synch and top shutter speed the MZ-S is slower.

So I bought my FA 300mm instead !! Yet to be tested in anger.

I have a pentax EI200 digital. It is fun for playing with and, in the right circumstances, will take good pictures. I was hoping that Pentax would bring out a digital body so I could use my lenses but that seems to be a while away. In "frustration" I bought a Nikon Coolscan IV scanner, and suddenly life got very, very much better. For the first time since my black and white days (30 years ago!!) I had complete control of the results of my work. I use prints and not slides and have always been reliant on photo-processors. I find now that I have a back-catalogue of 30 years work (yes I have most of my negatives, even if it can take hours to find any particular one!)and statistically some of them are quite good. So I have joined a photographic society and started entering some of my work ......

If you have not tried a film scanner I recommend it. The Nikon is good.

I concluded (as with music by the way) that there is still life in analogue.

And yes I still buy LP's !!

Chris

7. Done_rundleCams

Hi Chris,

"I did not get your email but have sent mine "private".

&gt;&gt;&gt; I got yours and sent an email to you. &gt;&gt;&gt;

I did think about the MZ-S but like my PZ1 too much !!

&gt;&gt;&gt; Exactly my thinking, to a tee. &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

I am too used now to the hyper buttons on the PZ1. I have never found the autofocus lacking, either, and that seems to be the main "advantage" of the MZ-S. Also in terms of flash synch and top shutter speed the MZ-S is slower.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Again, we are on the same line of thought. Weird, eh. &gt;&gt;&gt;

So I bought my FA 300mm instead !!

&gt;&gt;&gt; I have yet to own one but I have used them and, for the most part, quite
    successfully. &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Yet to be tested in anger.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Never tested in anger which is not to say 'anger' has been part of the
    sequence of events&gt;/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif &gt;&gt;

I have a pentax EI200 digital. It is fun for playing with and, in the right circumstances, will take good pictures.

&gt;&gt;&gt; The first digital camera that I actually borrowed from a sales rep and
    went out and shot pictures. It was just a pity that I didn't check what
    the settings were.....ends everything was shot at 400 ISO and low res but
    amazingly some of the pictures turned out quite well, all things considered.
    I never did get one but it definately got me interested in digital. &gt;&gt;&gt;

I was hoping that Pentax would bring out a digital body so I could use my lenses but that seems to be a while away.

&gt;&gt;&gt; I definately would not be holding my breath for a Pentax Digital SLR. &gt;&gt;&gt;

In "frustration" I bought a Nikon Coolscan IV scanner, and suddenly life got very, very much better. For the first time since my black and white days (30 years ago!!) I had complete control of the results of my work. I use prints and not slides and have always been reliant on photo-processors. I find now that I have a back-catalogue of 30 years work (yes I have most of my negatives, even if it can take hours to find any particular one!)and statistically some of them are quite good. So I have joined a photographic society and started entering some of my work ......

&gt;&gt;&gt; Excellent idea and you should try get an album here on AP in the members
    gallery and/or put up some shots in the "portfolio" section. &gt;&gt;&gt;

If you have not tried a film scanner I recommend it. The Nikon is good.

&gt;&gt;&gt; I use a 600 x 1200 dpi flatbed scanner from work to scan prints and email
    or post on the AP gallery - under Done&rundleCams. And, I suspect that
    my 'digital-oriented' purchase will be a compact digital camera (likely
    the Canon G2 or it's successor). Yeah, I know a Canon but so far it is
    the camera with the image quality and features I would want/need for the
    kind of photography that I would use it for. As for my film needs I will
    rely on the old flatbed at work. /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

BTW, have you ever gone to http://www.camerareview.com and given a
    review of your PZ-1. It is the Top-rated SLR, as if there was ever any
    doubt./img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

I look forward to seeing your images and have fun the USofA. &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

I concluded (as with music by the way) that there is still life in analogue.

And yes I still buy LP's !!

&gt;&gt;&gt; "LP's", god damn, you are a youngster. I'm still working on my 78's/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif. &gt;&gt;&gt;

Cheers,

Jack

Chris

starting to seduce me.

8. Reading

Reading Well-Known Member

"I did think about the MZ-S but like my PZ1 too much !! I am too used now to the hyper buttons on the PZ1. I have never found the autofocus lacking, either, and that seems to be the main "advantage" of the MZ-S. Also in terms of flash synch and top shutter speed the MZ-S is slower."

The MZ-S will actually sync up to 1/6000 with the new flash, and the difference between 1/6000 top speed and 1/8000 is rather arbitrary IMO. The MZ-S also allows wireless flash which is reason enough to go this way. Also build and sealing is way better than the poor sealing and fragile battery cover etc on the z1.

While the AF speed gain may not make a lot of difference, the extra low-light sensitivity of the MZ-S is a fantastic improvement.

9. Done_rundleCams

"the extra low-light sensitivity of the MZ-S is a fantastic improvement."

Oh sure, Rob, be the voice of reason and rationale&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt; and just when I
    had almost gotten the MZ-S out of my mind.

Jack

starting to seduce me.

10. Reading

Reading Well-Known Member

Consider yourself enabled!!!

Now, I just need to convince you to get an FA24 f/2 and a 77ltd and a 200f/4 macro and you really will be broke!!!

11. Done_rundleCams

"Now, I just need to convince you to get an FA24 f/2 and a 77ltd and a 200f/4 macro and you really will be broke!!!"

Rob,

Re: FA 24/2.0, About 7 years ago I had the opportunity to pick-up a used
    one for about $200.00 CDN (= 90-100 GBP's) but I thought it
    was broken because it wouldn't AF on my PZ-1. This was before
    I was in retail and realised that the MF clutch was on.&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/frown.gif"&gt;

Re: FA 77/1.8 I had a chance to buy my Pentax reps demo model (actually it
    was the Beta model that was sent to Canada) and he was saving
    it for me but somehow it mysteriously went back to Japan. I am
    still waiting for it and I still have the serial number.[AGHH]

Re: 200/4 Macro Luckily, I am not a (big) fan of Macro photography which still
    does not explain the fact that I have a Tamron 90/2.5(MF)lens.

Continuing on the vein of lenses, the lenses that I miss the most are my:
    SMC-M 200/2.5 and SMC-M 85/1.8

They were amazing lenses and the 200/2.5 had such nice contrasty glass.

Time to clear my eyes.&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif"&gt;

Cheers,

Jack&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt;

starting to seduce me.

12. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Re: 200/4 Macro Luckily, I am not a (big) fan of Macro photography which still does not explain the fact that I have a Tamron 90/2.5(MF)lens.

Just in case, eh Jack? /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

<font color=red>Is it because I's Jedi?</font color=red>

13. Done_rundleCams

"Just in case, eh Jack?"

"Is it because I's Jedi?"

Hello Tim,

Out for a breath of fresh air, speaking in a photographical metaphoric sense&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif"&gt;.

BTW, the answers are: "Yes" and "Yes"

Cheers

Jack (the Yes man)

starting to seduce me.