1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

F100 question regarding viewfinder eyepiece glass very confused ~

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by quinton77, May 20, 2019.

1. quinton77

quinton77 In the Stop Bath

Hi nikon community,

So I recently took my camera to get fixed at this place I've never been to before - the film loader wasn't working. The cameraman very kindly fixed it for me and did a full camera clean in two days as I told him I was going overseas. He charged me 200aud (140usd) - I knew it was a bit expensive but I was a bit short on time and desperate. I later told a friend of mine that I took my camera to this place and she said that she doesn't trust him and that she never goes there.

Anyway I'm on the other side of the world now, and I noticed a couple of days ago that the rubber bit that covers the edges of the viewfinder is missing - could of possibly fell off during my transit but I'm unsure. Then today, I noticed that I can literally stick my finger into the viewfinder and touch the Diopter, and I noticed this because it was full of dust inside.

I've had this camera for 4 years and I really can't remember for certain if there was some kind of protective glass in between the surface of the body and the Diopter, but surely there must be because theres a gap now that lets dust into the inside of the body. I called the camera replace center that I took the camera to in Sydney and he sort of told me that they wouldn't of made that mistake but I'm not sure wether to trust him.

Just to spice things up, I had to take this camera into a repair center in Mexico City last week because the teeth that keep the door covering the film shut decided to break, he did a great makeshift home job with acrylic and charged me 30 aud. So, it's possible that they decided to gyp me and take the glass out for some reason but I don't understand why he would of done that. I'm going back tomorrow to ask them if they think that might of happened under their hands.

Anyway sorry bit of a vent I feel super frustrated and a bit powerless. I've never had to do any repairs on this camera before and now all of a sudden it needs a lot of attention (which is fine except that I feel the same way you feel when you take your car to a mechanic and you can't tell wether they're screwing you over because you know next to nothing about cars).

Thank you guys!! any input is appreciated

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think a DK17 will fit an F100, it certainly fits an F5 and a D1 which is based on the F100. Any yes the original ones do fall off which is why I have several spares. The DK 17 is actually for the D2, D3, D4 and D5 and they have a mechanism to prevent the finder eyepiece from unscrewing. Unlike the correct part they are readily available and, as I said, should fit, get the basic one the other variants are expensive.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Apparently the correct part is a 2927 eyepiece and they can be had from B&H in New York for $19.95 US, plus postage to where you happen to be.I happen to have an F100 to hand and I have tried a DK17 on it, there are no problems The overall diameter is a few mm larger than the 2927 but it will do the job. I think you may find the DK17 more readily available.

4. KironKid

KironKid Member

The two lugs that keep the film back locked, are known to break off. One of the few design flaws on the F100. That is why I have two spare doors. It would be great if you posted a pic of how yours was fixed. The cheap but very good N90s make a great back-up camera. And they are very rugged and well built.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The OP might not be able to reply to you. "In the Stop Bath" under his name means he's suspended or banned. That might be why the last post before yours was in May.