1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Extension tubes for Fuji X fit

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Bazarchie, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Has anyone found a decent set of third party extension tubes for the Fuji X system? I bought a set that arrived today but they have some movement when fitted and the smaller tube would not fit my 18-55 lens. The movement did not appear to have any impact on the results but I do not want to damage the mount or use force on the 18-55. I will only use them occasionally so I reluctant to buy the Fuji versions.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi ya,

Aside from the Fuji extension tubes, we sell the Fotodiox brand, although the $7.95 (USD) version shown here:

https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/macro-devices-accessories/products/macro-tube-fxrf

Rather, the dual set shown in the related products at the bottom left which we've had very good success
    with and, personally, I've sold a few sets to friends/customers of mine, as well. However, sadly, they don't
    seen to be available any longer :(

Apparently, the F-Stopper's shop in UK is supposed to stock FotoDiox products ...or, of course, on Amazon UK ...https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fotodiox-E...7&s=gateway&sprefix=Fotodiox+F,aps,410&sr=8-4

Cheers,

Jack

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've got a pair of Fotodiox tubes for M43. They're a cheap useful standby.

Bazarchie and Done_rundleCams like this.
  4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

So have I. If I could just remember where I put them... :rolleyes:

5. Done_rundleCams

Bear in mind, regarding my answer above, we did not sell the three (3) piece extension tube set,
    rather, we sold the two (2) piece set:

Untitled.jpeg

But, the two piece appears to be NLA, sadly :(

Cheers,

Jack

6. Bazarchie

I bought another set of JJC tubes and they are fine. Still more movement than I would like but it does not appear to have any impact on the results. Hopefully I will remember to take them with me.

For better close-up/macro I will keep to my Canons and Tokina 100mm.

7. Done_rundleCams

Good stuff :) and if you can sus out any of the Auto Macro Tubes, definitely check them out :)

Cheers and good shooting :D

jack

Bazarchie likes this.
  8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Look at this UK retailer - I've used them myself.

They don't have any manual tubes, just these at £49.95 which appear to have the links for exposure reading but autofocus is not guaranteed due to light levels (it's often easier to use manual focus and move the camera until the subject appears to be in focus).

The depth of field when using tubes is virtually non-existent (i.e. very small), so expect a high proportion of duff shots.

www.srb-photographic.co.uk/fuji-xpro-auto-extension-tube-set-10923-p.asp

Done_rundleCams and Bazarchie like this.
  9. Done_rundleCams

A great alternative, Chester, and a cool find :)

Cheers,

Jack

10. Chester AP

I suggested this UK retailer because Bezarchie's profile give his location as 'Reading', so I assumed Reading in the UK.
    Now I expect we'll find he lives in New Zealand or Australia.

I was also tempted to suggest looking for a nice secondhand Tamron 90 mm F 2.8 macro or Sigma 50 mm F 2.8 macro instead of extension tubes to use with an 18-55 zoom, but the problem with mounts like the Fuji X is that such lenses don't exist. I've got secondhand examples of both of these in a Pentax K mount that work perfectly with my Pentax K-5. The 90 mm, as well as being great for closeups, doubles as an excellent mid-range telephoto for portrait shots (equivalent to 135 mm on a 35 mm film camera body).

11. Bazarchie

Unfortunately it is Reading UK. The Fuji is not my main camera, my Canon 5D Mark I or Mark iii with my Tokina 100 2.8 is better is better than a lens with extension tubes. If I am only carrying the Fuji then the tubes will be useful. I have taken a few test shots and the results are better than I expected.

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Fuji tubes are cheaper than Canon tubes if you buy the set but I agree the price is high for what they are.

13. Bazarchie

My post was not clear. I meant to say a dedicated macro lenses is better than using tubes.

14. PeteRob

Apples and pears. You cannot equivalence tubes and macro lenses

15. Chester AP

Now that we know you already own a decent macro lens in a Canon fittings, why not just spend £24.96 on a lens adaptor and use it on the Fuji body? This will cost less than a set of tubes, but will require some care in use because all the electronic connections are lost. But if you aren't in a great hurry, for macro work this might not matter.

'Please Note: Autofocus, automatic aperture and AE metering will be disabled as there will be no electrical communication between camera body and the lens. You will also need to focus manually and set exposures manually. However, the lens will retain its ability to focus to infinity.'

www.srb-photographic.co.uk/fuji-x-lens-adaptors-1173-c.asp

16. PeteRob

I think you answered the question - as far as I know there isn't a converter that preserves lens function.

17. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Fuji's own tubes keep all functions.

S

18. PeteRob

But you can't put a Canon EF lens on them

19. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Good god, why would anyone want to?

S

20. PeteRob

Post #15 is the diversion fom the thread. I agree with you - the price of Fuji tubes isn't that high as OEM prices go.

steveandthedogs likes this.