1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extended Warranties

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by albini13, Sep 22, 2002.

1. albini13

albini13 Well-Known Member

What are you thoughts about them i`m interested to know ?

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

I personally "take the chance" and never bother with them. So far, (touch wood) I have not regretted not paying the extra. Perhaps if the item was particularly expensive I might consider it, but generally I don't think it is worth it.

BigWill

<font color=blue>Someday Jeri Ryan will weaken!<font color=black>

3. sinister

sinister Well-Known Member

There has been a lot of debate on this matter. On BBC Watchdog recently it was noted that a lot of these warraties where not worth a light. It would appear that many of them do not ring fence the money. It just goes into the general account of the company. And when it goes belly up, no chance of getting anything done. Take a look at Tiny Computers.

Given that a product such as a digital camera, or PC is obsolete the moment you walk out the door. It just aint worth going to the trouble of getting it repared.

<font color=green>Steve</font color=green>
    http://www.aspects.net/~sthompson

4. albini13

Lol yeah i remeber Tiny they folded about a year after i bought my P.C from them. To compare a P.C to a camera though isn`t really a fair comparison. A P.C has a shelf life of about 4 months and anyone with half a brain can replace parts. A camera on the other hand needs the attention of a qualified engineer. Camera repairs are expensive and I agree that certain models should simply be replaced, other more expensive models however would benefit from a repair.

5. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Personally I tend to find with electrical/electronic equipment that if it is going to go wrong then it will happen either immediately or usually within the first year and is therefore within the warranty period, and would have to be replaced/repaired by the retailer/manufacturer.
    To add to what Steve has already said, I beleive that the DTI is conducting an investigating the 'miss-selling' of product 'insurance' in a similar way in which Insurance companies were investigated for miss-selling pensions, and that similar penalties and compensations may well be imposed.

<font color=blue>RonM IRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

6. BigWill

"A P.C has a shelf life of about 4 months and anyone with half a brain can replace parts".......an interesting comment there and probably very true but I never fail to be amazed at the number of people who have not the faintest idea what is inside their PC never mind actually daring to replace something inside it. Of all my computer owning mates at work I can honestly say that I am the only one there who has the intrest/knowledge to fit an expansin card, upgrade memory or fit a different hard drive. I think it would be fair to say that that is fairly representative of the computer buying public in general and it is actually only a very small proportion of people who ever venture inside their PC and thus the popularity of extended warranties with them.

BigWill

7. Lounge_Lizard

Lounge_Lizard Well-Known Member

Doesn't a digicam cost about the same as a PC and have a similar lifetime before obsolescence?

David

8. Lounge_Lizard

Lounge_Lizard Well-Known Member

If I bought 5 items and not bought the extended warranties, the money I would save would probably equate to buying one of those items over again if it should fail. The likelihood of something failing outside the manufacturers normal warranty is probably less than 1 in 10, so, on balance it's best not to bother with the warranties and save the money.

I did, however, have an extended warranty on my Nikon Coolscan. When it started playing up, the repairer wasn't Nikon but a 3rd-party company who said that they repaired scanners. When the engineer turned up, he'd never seen a film scanner before and wanted to take the scanner, the SCSI card, interface cables installation CD and manual back to his workshop for a couple of weeks to sort it out. That didn't inspire confidence! I said no and sent it back to Nikon who did an excellent repair in a few days.

I think extended warranties are just preying on a human weakness of a fear of an unexpected bill but the warrnties themselves usually aren't cheap. The warranty companies must be making mega bucks in this day and age when most things are reliable and faults are really 'finger touble' on the part of the user.

David

9. BigWill

A good point. You wouldn't mind paying for the extra cover if you thought the repair was going to be carried out quickly and efficiently by a factory trained technician, but when you get some sub-contractor arriving who doesn't seem to know the first thing about the product you question the wisdom of shelling out good money for inferior service!

BigWill

10. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

The Nikon story sounds rather like Brian's experiences with his "faulty" Canon a few weeks back. I decided life was too short to follow that thread to completion - now I'm curious to know the outcome!

Pete IRIPN

11. BigWill

We may never know the outcome as Brian seems to have "fekked off" from the AP site Pete. It was a prime example of "warranty gone wrong" though.

BigWill

12. mikeh

mikeh Well-Known Member

I took out extended warranty on my pc - knowing nothing about them I thought if ever it went wrong, it would be great to have the guy come to my house, fix it for free etc etc.

So when my pc packed up about a month ago I rang the warranty helpline. After about 30 calls, when no one would answer, got hold of the head office who told me that Tiny had gone bust a while ago ( I know..before ya tell me ... shouldn't have bought a Tiny!!) and unfortunately the warranty I had was useless.

So rest assured, after paying out about £200 in this instance for a useless 3 year warranty, I won't be doing that ever again

Mike

13. sinister

sinister Well-Known Member

Having now understood that you work in a photoraphic retail outlet which attempts to market such policies. I think your question is not so much should I buy one, more should I sell them.

<font color=green>Steve</font color=green>
    http://www.aspects.net/~sthompson

14. albini13

No, i asked what you thought of them, i don`t need to justify myself for selling them its a part of my job.

15. albini13

Yeah had a similar problem with Tiny, the hardrive packed up after three months.