1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extend your battery life

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by GeoffR, Oct 3, 2021.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I suspect that of the group of us that still use cameras rather than their phones, the majority are of a certain age, as it were. We learned about our hobby when a manual 35mm slr was the thing to aspire to (unless you were transfixed by the lure of the red dot) - not much automation, AF didn't exist and zooms cost an arm and a leg. So we/they learned with such a camera and being, as I said, not the youngest of people, find it hard to unlearn the lessons of the time. Which is why so many bang on about full-frame dslrs, prime lenses and doing everything manually.

Weirdos like me with dodgy memories find it easier to move from dslrs to mirrorless... ;)

EightBitTony likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My AP came today. Seems that I managed to guess most of the article content, but it had escaped me that connecting to wifi/gps are battery sucking things that folk now do. I'm also intrigued by the assertion that some cameras have a more energy efficient ELV than they do a rear LCD (although the quoted examples didn't) whereas I always though ELVs were necessarily power hungry.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The debate is not so much will mirrorless superseded the SLR in production, it is doing so, as you say. The debate is whether mirrorless will replace the SLR in operation? The Comet, shortly followed by the 707, started the most away from reciprocating engines for airliners but DC3s are still making money for their owners. Just because something is out of production doesn’t mean it isn’t capable of doing the job.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well I'm on holiday at the moment, at our future retirement home on another continent. Being me, I've got 5 cameras here, not counting my phone. None of them have a mirror.
    One is a weird Ricoh Theta 360° thingy with an internal battery. Another is a DJI Pocket video cam, again with an internal battery. I have a GoPro that sucks batteries like they're going out of fashion, and a couple of Canon EOS M series cameras with Canon's feeblest battery, the LP-E12. I've got 4 batteries for the GoPro, and that's only just enough for a day. But there's no real DSLR alternative to the Theta, GoPro or DJI .
    In contrast, I've used one of the LP-E12s so far. Being small batteries has a sizeable - or rather lack of sizeable - upside - spares are easy to carry, and so is a USB twin charger. I could carry 21 LP-E12s for the weight of your 3 Nikon batteries. 21. Certainly carrying 4 of them and my USB charger is a big weight saving.
    Can't really see that carrying enormous batteries around is any sensible reason to use a DSLR in anything other than extreme conditions, to be honest, and remember I'm in no hurry to replace the various DSLRs I own. Looks like clutching at straws to me.

Catriona and EightBitTony like this.
  5. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

This is true however using digital or the phone I tend to take many more photographs than I do when using film, that said I find that with digital often the first shot of a series is the 'keeper'.
    Though there are exceptions, Granada and the Alhambra was a full three battery day for the EOS M switching to the G11 for the evening meal and flamenco dancers, that was a long day.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Nick, I think you have missed the point somewhat.

SLR cameras are much less heavy on batteries than an equivalent mirrorless camera thus, where maximum battery life is a major consideration, an SLR may well be a more appropriate choice than a mirrorless camera.

The example I gave was intended to demonstrate that travelling without a charger is possible and practical (though I wouldn't recommend it). Would your four LP-E12s keep one of your mirrorless cameras going for a week without charging? We'll never know because we use our cameras differently. The Nikon Z6 and D750 use different versions of the EN-El15 battery, the Z6 gets between 300 and 400 shots per charge and the D750 1200. If I were going on holiday I would chose the D750 over the Z6 for this reason alone, but the way do holidays will be different from yours.

For what it is worth an MH26 charger is 25g less than two EN-EL18s but considerably larger; the weight of my batteries is around 150g, somewhat less than quoted.

Anyway, the fact remains that if battery duration alone is the prime consideration the DSLR wins hands down. As I keep saying, chose the most suitable tool for the job.

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

:)

It's maybe more that I've had well over 10 years on a single battery in a film camera (even I'm surprised) rather than how many shots per se.

EightBitTony likes this.
  8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

To be fair I'm always going to be taking a USB charger on hols so having a relatively small battery that lasts a day is fine. Just charge overnight and Robert's your mother's brother.

zx9r and peterba like this.
  9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Did you ever try large format? :rolleyes:

zx9r likes this.
  10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No. I'd never make my mind up and I'd never cope with the inversion though I've read that Joe Cornish recommends that the first editing step on any landscape should be to invert and reverse so as to better judge the composition.

Zou likes this.
  11. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I looked at this article - is it just another one for all those people who don't read user manuals?

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well no, Geoff, the point is that I can't envisage any circumstance where battery life alone would be a sensible criterion for selecting which camera to use.
    I would never put myself in a position where I didn't have a charger available, as that puts too much faith in the batteries - what if one were to fail, or you lost one? Changing and charging batteries whilst doing anything I do just hasn't ever been an issue. I've got USB chargers for all my battery types, which can recharge batteries anywhere. Even off-grid, using a solar-powered power pack.

There certainly are reasons why I would pick a DSLR over a mirrorless camera for a particular use, but battery life isn't one of them.

13. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Now that cameras are becoming handheld computers with attached lenses, and as many mechanical parts as possible are being replaced by electronics and software which need power from a battery, it is only to be expected that newer models will have a shorter battery life and/or need larger batteries. I remember when the little button cell in my Pentax MX would last 2 or 3 years, because it only had to power the light meter.