1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest,

Nature photography is hugely popular, and there is always something more to learn. We've got the best photographers in this fascinating genre to share their tips and advice on the gear and techniques needed for stand-out shots, and inspire us with their wonderful images.

Whether you’re a beginner or intermediate photographer, and whether you're into flowers, insects or animals, you'll learn something new in this issue of 'Improve Your Photography' – and come away with your creative batteries fully charged.

Simply enter your details to receive your downloadable copy of 'Improve Your Photography – Nature'.

3. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Dismiss Notice

Exif Data Anomalies

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Kettering_Jeremy, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Kettering_Jeremy

Kettering_Jeremy Well-Known Member

Hi,

apologies for not posting for quite some time - and then with a problem.

I am in the process of weening myself off Adobe products in favour of non-subscription alternatives.

As such I have recently purchased DxO Photolab2. One of the clever things it does is download profiles for the camera and lens combinations that it detects. Initially things were fine, with modules for my Nikon D500 and D7500 and lenses being downloaded.

I then linked the software to an older directory from early last year. It asked me if I wanted to download the module for a Nikon D5500 and AF-P 10-20mm lens. While I do own an AF-P 10-20 I have never owned an D5500. I once had a D5100, but the 10-20mm lens would never have worked with it.

If the D5500/AF-P 10-20mm module is applied to these files, they take on a horrible green cast - I'm assuming because the 24mp sensor in the D5500 has a different profile to the 20mp sensor in the D7500.

I have tried changing the metadata with no success. It either won't update or renders the file unreadable in DxO (though it can still be edited in Affinity Photo).

I'm not sure that I can blame DxO either because I checked the metadata for a photo I'd taken at the Minack theatre last year which clearly said D7500. When I opened it in IMatch (an Exif editing program), the entry had changed to D5500!!

Using the trial version of IMatch I am unable to change any Camera Model Entry to D7500.

Has anyone come across anything remotely similar.

I am about to ensure that the firmware in my two cameras is up to date, but that will not change the historical issues.

Any other ideas as to how to proceed?

KR

Jeremy

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I've never come across a camera specific profile. Although software versions increment to cater for the latest raw files that are camera specific, the specificity is not normally exposed. Lens correction profiles yes. It seems absurd that EXIF data be changed vicariously - I think you'd better get back to Adobe!

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I suspect the problem is with the D5500 module. I suggest that you remove completely it from your system which may require that you remove DXO Photolab. Then start again but don’t add the modules for cameras you don’t have, you may need to manually edit EXIF data for any files that have been changed or replace them from backup. I know this isn’t what you want to hear but I think it may be the best option.

4. Kettering_Jeremy

Thanks Both.

At first I didn't download the D5500 module. When I did (to see what would happen), is when I got the green tinge. Module now removed.

I don't seem to be able to change the camera model in the metadata, however. I've tried several EXIF editors including EXIFTOOLS and IMATCH.

IMATCH in particular should allow this (it provides a warning that changing the parameter incorrectly could render the file unreadable).

Will continue my investigations and report back if I get somewhere.

KR

Jeremy

5. PeteRob

Restoring the file(s) from backup is probably quicker than messing around editing.

6. Kettering_Jeremy

It seems my backup displays the same issues. Which probably means that it's occurred by my using some software in the past (probably soon after the photos were shot, and before they were backed up). I cant believe that two different cameras display the same fault (although they are pretty similar under the hood).

Using exiftools I could look at the data and the relevant entries say:-

Camera Model : NIKON D5500

Creator Tool: NIKON D500 ver1.1

Similarly for the D7500

I also managed to change the Camera Model to the correct one - but then the RAW file became unreadable in DxO and Nikon NX-D.

I haven't used lens correction much - so it's not a big deal. I hate insoluble problems like this - so will endeavor to find a workaround. But only using copies of these original files. At least they are readable again (the exifedit tool renames the original files as backups.

KR

Jeremy

7. PeteRob

Goodness - that surprises me. I'd have thought that a NEF file (or any RAW file) would be self-sufficient in terms of the information needed to decode it, not depend on the EXIF for clues. It isn't usual for software to change RAW files anyway - although Canon does seem to store editing instructions from the DPP tool inside the file.

8. Kettering_Jeremy

Feeling a little embarrassed.

While I can't explain how, why or when the D500 and D7500 entries changed to D5500, I do know why they became un-readable.

The entry for camera model read:

Camera Model : Nikon D5500

I changed it to:

Camera Model: D7500

Which made the file unreadable. Adding "Nikon" in front corrected that.

So although I can't explain why things went awry in the first place, I can correct it.

I'd also recommend exiftools if you ever need to edit metadata. It is very powerful - but not easy to understand at first. Once understood how it works, it's a doddle.

Thanks for your thoughts, and apologies for wasting your time with a schoolboy error!!

KR

Jeremy

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I'm lazy I stick to Nikon software