1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excellent stills camera ?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by SAW, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Gross.......on every level

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I really can't see that an iPad, particularly the larger versions, is any more "convenient" than using an SLR.

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I'd say the opposite in fact. Awkward to carry in the hand, would look stupid on a strap or a sling not to mention how daft folk look using them as a carry round camera. I saw a few last year in Peru. Seemed quite strange.

4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I agree. It's a ridiculous contraption to take images with.
    I phones have their uses. I use one a lot in work, not for quality, but convenience. I can take images of circuitry and zoom in to see things I wouldn't spot, even with my reading specs on! I have no need to use an I phone for photography since purchasing the Fuji. The Fuji is always with me, whereas my DSLR wasn't.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

"Gross" from the old French "gros" or "grosse" meaning large, derived in turn from the medieval Latin "grossus" meaning "coarse" or "unrefined".

An innacurate description of both the iPad and my feet.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If we are talking an iPad Pro grosse may well be appropriate; I'll not comment on your feet if you don't mind...

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I'm not dismissive of iPhones and the like, but I sometimes get large prints done for which a DSLR is better suited. If you never print anything, anything with 3 or 4 megapixels is probably adequate and the reason for buying one model instead of another will depend on other factors.

8. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I remember several years ago waiting for the Astronomical Clock in Prague to strike, and quite a few in the watching crowd where holding up laptops. Looked bizarre, and got in the way of others’ views. At least an iPad is an improvement on a laptop for photography!

Chris

dream_police likes this.
  9. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

My first digital camera was the Nikon D90, the first DSLR to offer video. I only took a few minutes of video on it. I’ve upgraded to the D800, and I’ve also only taken a few minutes of video on that. If video was an optional extra I had to pay for, I’d avoid it, but nowadays it’s normally included as part of the package, and I’d rather have it available in case I want it, than not have it

When I bought my D800, I think the only camera that would have been better FOR WHAT I WANTED was the D800E.

I think the best camera body now available for normal photography (but not fast action) is probably the Fujifilm GFX 100, but I’d find the current lens range restricted, and rather heavy.

If I was buying a new outfit from scratch, with cost being unimportant, I’d probably choose mirrorless over a DSLR, for reduced weight and size, the advantage of using the EVF for precise focussing and composition, and for reviewing with the advantage of dioptre adjustment. (I need to put on my glasses and hope the light’s not to bright to see anything clearly on a camera’s monitor screen.) I’d also value a tilting monitor, and ideally also a tilting viewfinder as on some Panasonic cameras, as it’s sometimes a struggle with macro shots to see what my D800 is framing. I’d like to stick to full frame (but might look at the Fujifilm X-T4), and I believe the Sony α7R IV is probably the best technically. But I’ve read what you describe about the ergonomics and menu. I suspect the Canon R5 would be next best body, but the available RF lenses seem either big and heavy, or entry level. So I’d probably chose the Nikon Z7, with both 24-70mm lenses, the 14-30mm and the 50mm, supplemented with an adapter and some F mount lenses. But I’d want to handle the α7R IV and R5 before making a final choice.

Chris

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If I was starting to buy everything from scratch then I would buy either a D850 or D500. Mirror-less are getting close. I have inspected the Z7 and Z6 but there are still aspects of the functionality which I would miss.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have to say that if I were starting from scratch I would want much the same as I already have. Current Nikon mirrorless cameras may be capable but they are too small for me. What makes an excellent stills camera, at least in part, is that it is comfortable to use, doesn't matter how good the image quality, resolution, battery life or price, if it isn't comfortable to use it won't get used.

Learning likes this.
  12. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I agree entirely. I frequently go browsing on Amazon, ffff-fff-ffordes, eBay, LCE and other emporia* of a like nature, thinking to spend on some more toys. OK, I could get all Zeiss lenses, but what is that going to get me, other than a load of extra weight to carry? My Sonys are comfortable to hold, everything is easily accessible without taking the camera away from the eye, with the VG it is beautifully balanced with big lenses, but most of all it does everything I want, and nothing I don't want, and has one unique feature I wouldn't do without - Intelligent Preview. There is nothing out there I would rather have, so it stands to reason that if I were starting all over, then I would buy exactly the same, although I never' tried before I buyed' :rolleyes:, as it was my fourth Minolta - if you see what I mean!

* The word 'emporium', and its plural form, should always be enunciated with a John Cleese voice, as per the cheese shop sketch.

13. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Is this the reason why manufacturers have to constantly offer something new that your current kit may not have? The art is to realise before you 'upgrade' that you probably don't actually need this new feature, and hence avoid an expensive mistake.

It's sad that you feel the need to explain the correct plural usage of 'emporia'. Every time I see a sign offering 'paninis' or (even worse) 'panini's' I wish that somebody like John Cleese could visit the premises and educate the culprits. Perhaps BBC Radio 4 and the World Service are the last homes of (occasional) correct plural usage: I have heard 'gymnasia' correctly used as the plural of gymnasium on both channels.

The website for the retailer MrCad has for many years listed 'film camera's' as one of its categories of secondhand items.

14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

If I was starting from scratch it would still probably be whatever was on offer in Argos again.

15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Actually,they are not 'correct' plurals. Those words have been absorbed into English and English, in general, uses -s or -es for plurals. Anyone who insists on phoney Latin/Greek constructions is just being a a silly old Stephen Fry! Probably believes you shouldn't split an infinitive either... :rolleyes:

RogerMac likes this.
  16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I use a pair of D500 and have no plans to replace them.

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Alternatively they may have removed a feature that you do actually need, the absence of which makes the new improved product unusable.

18. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Do you think this thread is a not very subtle phishing effort?

19. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It isn't phishing. He has been around for a couple of years and I don't recall posts that are wind-ups. I think this was a genuine question. Whether it is worth 58 replies (current count) is another question. I keep thinking of the GFX 100. AP has mentioned it a couple of times and Angela N couldn't stop dropping the fact she now has one into her last article :)

20. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

If I were starting from scratch again..

Would be my soccer set up 7d & 70-300L & 40mm plus iPhone 11pro ( don’t have one)

Nothing else

We went to the east coast yesterday. Could not be bothered with a dslr, so took travel zoom compact and iPhone
    The compact saw virtually no use
    The phone captured all the moments

I can understand people fearing progress. But, take this forum. I’m on my phone, 10yrs ago it would have been pen, paper, post.....2wks later maybe see it published. what a faff!!

Current phones are good, soon they will be superb.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020