1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excellent stills camera ?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by SAW, Jul 21, 2020.

1. SAW

SAW Active Member

Hi,

Asked this question on a FB group but it got removed because it gets heated o_O Which manufacture(s) do you think make the best stills cameras ? I know they all seem to be a bit of a hybrid now but I'm not interested in video at all I like to take images and I hate flappy out screens weird I know but prefer a fixed or tilting. Currently I have a 6D and love the colours straight out of the camera and A7iii great camera but hate the menu, colours and ergonomics :D but wondered if anyone else just prefers stills over video, what did you buy and why ?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The best camera in the world is the one you have in your hand when the picture's in front of you.

NOTHING else matters.

Catriona likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'd modify Andrew's reply a bit. Clearly no camera no picture but what is best for you might not be best for the next person along, so much depends on personal choice.

I couldn't tell you about video, it doesn't enter into the equation as far as I am concerned.

Personally I like my Canon 5Ds and my Fuji XH-1. They both handle well and give good results. I'm looking to get a Fuji X100V. In the fullness of time and when it has proved itself then the Canon R5 (or its successor) looks a good replacement for my 1div which I love to use but is not up to the IQ of modern cameras.

AP reckoned the Fuji XT-4 is the best APS-C camera. If I had loads-a-money I'd think about the GFX 100.

I use viewfinders not screens. For my Canon's I have a right angled finder.

4. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Which company makes the best car !!!!!

RogerMac likes this.
  5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I

first define still photography , there are many different types!

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Indeed. There are many cameras that few people would recognise as cameras.

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Took the words out of my mouth. I know the most excellent photographer who can pick up any camera, film or digital and create something I would and have bought! It's your creativity that matters.

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Fuji. Next question?

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Thing is that there is no one best camera in the world. The best camera for you is the one that does the job you want to do, a way you're happy doing it, and that you enjoy using. People can get far too hung up on having "the best" resolution, autofocus, sharpness, whatever, and equally it's true that a good photographer can get good pictures with any camera, but generally, people take more and better shots with a camera they enjoy using. Ignoring my camera collection, I've a number of cameras to do different jobs, but all of them feel natural and enjoyable to use - for me. Someone else might hate them, and prefer a camera I can't get on with. It's a personal thing.
    Within my collection, there are cameras I love using, and cameras I really don't. Some of them I actively dislike - I hated my Nikons F and FM2, yet I dearly loved my FE. The F60's a dog, but I enjoy the F90X. I've got every Canon A series model, but dislike them except for the incredibly cheap-feeling AL-1, which I rather like, and the A-1, which is one of my favourites. And then there's the T series - I've every one of them, too, but only the T70 and T90 are usable for me. And so on...

ChrisNewman and Zou like this.
  10. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Hmm, don’t know about you lot but for me conventional photography I.e dslr is akin to swimming against the tide at times.
    Last weekend I shoved a 28/1.8 on my 5d3 and stepped outside with the iPhone SE too (old version)
    The 5d was on full auto
    Shooting various subjects around thd garden it was clearly obvious that the iPhone algorithms were much better developed than the pro canon.
    I came away thinking...why??

watching Jane McDonald cruise series and seeing footage on our BIG tv that she took using a phone on a selfie stick again makes me wonder if I’m kidding myself.

Yes, proper cameras come into their own in certain situations. But there’s no disputing that within 10yrs our beloved gear will have little if any attraction

the writings on the wall, sad to say

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I was at Greys Court yesterday, there was a small girl wandering around taking pictures with a full sized iPad, I suspect she would have found my Nikon 1J5 easier and lighter but at least she was taking photographs.

Back in the car park, almost empty by the time we got there, we came across one of the reasons for carrying an FX SLR with a long zoom, a single Red Kite flying low over the adjacent fields. I think it will be a while before an iPad, or equivalent, can replace a 70-200 with a 1.7X converter.

12. pixelpuffin

Meh
    70-200 is only 4xzoom on full frame
    6x on crop. Yeah, 1.7x converter too
    But give it another 3yrs
    Let’s see who’s still lugging camera and multiple lenses.....Pro’s almost certainly.

13. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

10x.jpg my Huawei has three LEICA cameras on the back and one at the front.
    this is a 10X pic across the room with available light sent medium quality jpeg on auto bit shaky hand held

14. pixelpuffin

Huawei....EEK!!
    Joking aside, exactly proves my point.
    I love my photo gear, but I can no longer dispute the convenience of modern smartphones. They are ridiculously good.
    As I previously mentioned, I was gobsmacked with the quality of the selfie video on Jane McDonalds cruise series. Our TV is 50” and the clarity was ridiculous, can you imagine what the quality will be like in a few years time.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

All the landscape shots in my butterfly thread in exhibitions are taken with a Huawei P-Smart.

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I see nothing wrong with the image but could you hold a bird in the centre of the frame at maximum magnification using your phone?

I know that I struggle even find birds, big ones like Kites, using my Nikon 1 J5 and 30-110 lens following one is another matter. I can however find and follow kites, even when diving for food, using a D4 and the 70-200 plus 1.7x converter. It is something to do with the relationship between eyeline and lens axis but I simply can't find distant moving objects using the screen of the 1 J5. I certainly wouldn't be able to do any better with a phone.

17. Terrywoodenpic

I will be miffed if. Huawei phones become only available in the East.
    They are as good as you can get.

18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Might be easier with a V2 or V3 (IF you can fine the EVF for it). Mind you, either of them with the adaptor and a 55-200mm APSC lens would be a bit of a handful!

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have looked for a 1 V3 but I'll not buy one without both finder and grip.

SXH likes this.
  20. Terrywoodenpic

It would be easier to shoot small objects with a phone if the wide angle lens was used to track the object but with the frame of the Tele lens in the middle to frame the object. With the shot actually taken with the Tele.