1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Exam Results

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MickLL, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

You're not the only one there. I think it's main use now is to grade Schools in league tables :(

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I have suspected, for the last few decades, that it exists to lure the maximum number of students into the clutches of the academic industry. The majority aren't people to be educated but sheep to be shorn.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The point is that it was an artificially-imposed algorithm that decided it, not any person, or any assessment of the student in question's work. The school hadn't had any A* Spanish stude to for the last 3 years, so it couldn't have one now, let alone two. And such a ridiculous situation was one of the scenarios Ofqual used to try to reject Gavin Williamson's imposition of a grade-deflating algorithm, along with the fact that the Centre Assessed Grades actually appeared to be closer to that 0.1% inaccurate that another poster quoted rather than the 37%, which might be a fairly accurate figure for the predicted grades teachers give prior to university offer, but which totally ignored the rigour imposed in the CAG process.

My son is still going to a Russell Group university to study physics, just not his first choice one. He might still get an offer from his first choice, but after the unvelievable stress of the process so far, he can't face further upheaval and uncertainty. For some disgusting troll on here to libel an entire profession, and suggest that an entire school year doesn't deserve their grades based on untruthful information - well....

Catriona likes this.
  4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Whilst it isn't impossible for a teacher to be wrong about exam grades, one of mine thought I would do well in History O level and I wasn't even doing History, in most cases they know their pupils' abilities better than anyone else. The idea that they would routinely inflate grade expectations is ridiculous, in a normal year such inflation would be obvious as predictions and grades wouldn't match. To suggest that this year would be one in which teacher predictions would be inflated when it is clear that they weren't previously is insulting to say the least. In any case, if anyone knows the damage that can be caused by grade inflation it will be the teacher. All the teacher predictions were moderated anyway so as to ensure that the best possible assessment of ability was being used, that this would also ensure that favouritism was excluded seems to have escaped comment.

I fail to see how the fact that a school hasn't had an A* result in a subject for the past three years can be used to predict that it couldn't happen this year. One obvious reason for the lack of A* grades previously could be as simple as there were no A Level students for that subject in the past few years, clearly there wouldn't be any E results either. It is rather like saying that Canon can't be the best selling mirrorless camera brand this year because they weren't selling them during the previous three years. The truth is that outliers happen.

MJB and Benchista like this.
  5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Mike, it is very distressing but anyone who is that desperate to study medicine will be prepared to retake the exams at the first opportunity and reapply next year. I really hope that the changes made since we started the discussion will mean that resits aren't necessary.

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

For certain subjects many universities won't allow you to defer, especially courses with a science or mathematics base.

7. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I deferred a science module with assessment banking, only to find the module got revised for the next academic year, so I needed to retake all 4 written parts again!

8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I know a friend of mine's daughter who studied medicine took additional courses (wish I could remember, but I'm sure they were science based)) as well as the medicine proper study itself. She did well and still does.
    I wonder if an approach to the university in question might recommend a pre-start year?

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

True. However some universities , especially the prestigious, have now found themselves with too many students and may be flexible.

10. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

You really are a rather unpleasant person. A bit brainless too if you think any of the above is what I said or meant.
    Do you recognise the following quote?

You should - you wrote them.

Anyway life is too short to have to deal with your childish tantrums and with those who 'like' your disgusting rant. I respectfully and politely ask that I be added to the stop bath.

MickLL

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well nobody has deserved it more over the years for their lies and trolling. See ya.
    To be honest, to be called a "rather unpleasant person" by the worst poster of all time on here is a badge of honour. Thanks. :)

Catriona likes this.
  12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I accept that teacher grading is not perfect but I would be interested to know the source for this:
    I know that Mick won't be answering, unfortunately, but I have heard from other sources that over an extended period at least one body, I don't remember which, has a record of getting predictions within less than 1% of actual results. Predicting grades isn't quite on a par with fortune telling though, it is based on real data from real pupils. What I don't understand is, If it is possible to get within 1% using the predictive tools available, why would anyone want to use anything else?

Might I add that I find it unfortunate that some members can't/won't accept that others don't recognise their expertise. It is my belief that experts should be challenged on a regular basis, just because you, or I, have qualifications and a reputation doesn't mean that you can't be wrong. In some cases experts have proved to be spectacularly wrong.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The 37% appears to come generally from the predictions given by schools to pupils for the purpose of university offers. It bears no relationship to what Ofqual believe is the case for CAGs.

Politicians (of any persuasion) would never agree to it.

It's not helpful when a poster quotes so-called "experts" who might be expert in a vaguely related field, but who don't actually have any expertise in the actual field, and use them to justify hateful opinions.
    As it happens, I happen to know the actual experts in this field, and I believe that their views will very much be in the public domain very shortly.

Catriona likes this.
  14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

As an update, my son has just received an offer of a place on the Physics Master's degree programme at his first choice university based on his revised grades. What a spectacular waste of time and money brought about by idiocy.

AGW and Catriona like this.
  15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The problem with quoting numbers is that, without a source, they may as well be pure conjecture. I am sure that, had the results published last week shown a 37% grade inflation they would not have been released.
    Cynical, but unfortunately probably correct.
    All to often "experts" believe their own introductions, and then consider their results to be inviolable. Any prediction/model/guestimate must be tested against real data as soon as that becomes available. When the real data does not reflect the model it is time to ditch the model and think again. In this case there doesn't appear to have been the expected grade inflation and the moderation, based to some extent on that expectation, has been shown up.
    I am pleased to hear that your son has an offer at his first choice university.

I cannot prove anything but I would not be surprised if, in a few years time, we discover that much of what has been done this year was a waste of time and energy.

16. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

My eldest daughter is a teacher, she has worked in her current job three years. The school was previously in special measures but over the last four years has made strenuous attempt to pull itself up and this years results show a 3.8% improvement on last year, she thinks this is entirely justified by the hard work of both the students and the staff. Incidentally she says that the allotted grades were rigorously moderated.

Catriona likes this.
  17. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

It's now been announced that Sally Collier has resigned from being Head of Ofqual - what I can't find from the web is whether she had good qualifications for the post in the first place, or whether she's been pushed etc. Anyone know?

18. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

The cynic in me would say that she was pushed because there is the wife of a Tory MP somewhere, who is totally unqualified, that has been lined up for the job!

MJB likes this.
  19. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Outrageous comment.

20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

That suggests that the upward standard in performance has been recognised.