1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Exacta VX

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by pagandave, Jan 9, 2002.

1. pagandave

pagandave New Member

I have recently come across an Exacta VX, it was given to me by a friend who clears houses for a living, it was absolutely filthy, but has cleaned up nicely, and seems to be in good condition. I have put a film through it, and the shutter would seem to be sticking.
    Is it worth spending money on getting the camera serviced / repaired, and if so, can anybody reccomend someone who could do the job at reasonable cost.
    Thanks,
    Dave.

2. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

It certainly isn't unusual for a shutter to become a little sticky if a camera is not used for prolonged periods.

Although a little "quirky" the Exactas were innovative designs in their day, and in good working order, are still quite capable of delivering good results.

Production of the VX models stopped in the late 60's so if major repairs are required, parts could present a problem. The Varex models are certainly of interest to collectors, and if the sticky shutter is the only problem, a straightforward service should sort it, and any competent repairer should be able to carry out the work, although you need to consider the cost of a service in relation to the value of the camera.

The original VX from 1951 - 1957 is probably worth around £50 with it's normal lens. The VX IIA, from 1957 - 1961(ish) maybe around £60-£65, and the later VX IIB & VX 1000 worth slightly less. A service, however, is likely to cost around £35-£40 &#43 VAT.

Geoff

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

But a beautiful camera nonetheless.

Nick NRIPN
    Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

4. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

They certainly are! I've only got the one, a IIb, but I love it./img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Geoff