1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Everyday camera

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by sam_2306, Jan 3, 2013.

1. sam_2306

sam_2306 Member

Hi All,

So I have a 5dmk2 which I love. But im looking for something smaller as a carry around camera to take with me everywhere. Im almost finished a 366 photo a day project which has shown me how it can be tricky and heavy always carrying a large dslr around. (link to my 366 project if your interested http://www.flickr.com/photos/samburton/sets/72157629134544891/ Ive been looking at the fuji x100 as I have heard only good things about it and really like the classic style. My budget is around £500. I would welcome any suggestions

Cheers

Sam

2. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Fuji XE1 tested really well too.

3. sam_2306

sam_2306 Member

Yeah i did look at the XE1 but unfortunately its out of my price range

4. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Micro 4/3rds format performs well too and can be cheaper - I have a Panasonic GX1 with the compact power zoom (then it fits easy in a jacket pocket). It's very solidly built and feels like a real camera. I have some pictures on the readers gallery taken with it - all titled NEC Classic Car Show - spread over the first 10 pages. That's about £500.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

There's always the EOS M - can use all your lenses with an adaptor, too.

6. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I use the Powershot S100 for this purpose. Nice and small, fast and well built.

7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Sam,

A lot of my PJ mates use the X100 for a walkaround camera and a number have used the Canon S90/95/100 and now 110 series and, a few, use the Fuji X10 along with the Canon G1X (a tad pricey) but does RAW and has a larger sensor than most of the P&S, with the exception of X100 ;). Also, re: G1X, same (or similar) RAW files as your Canon big boy :D

Cheers,

Jack