1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Even if you hate Cummings ...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, May 26, 2021.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

He is modest in his own assessment of intelligence. Others see him as very intelligent; even some people who don't trust him.
    He does not have the type of personality needed to woo an electorate.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Dorset_Mike likes this.
  3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Good idea, David. It'll give us something to do, during Lockdown #34. :(

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  4. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

I consider Bozo to be thoroughly unpleasant. He is too lazy to be vengefull and also desparately wants to be liked by the public so it is not his knife you will find in other peoples backs. He has the reputation of one who dislikes being involved in confrontation and therefor prefers other people to do his dirty work for him - a bit like Jeremy really.

peterba likes this.
  5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Sadly I don't think we are being told more than we already knew, that for many years our top politicians have been an incompetent load of bumbling idiots who somehow managed to get themselves elected despite not having a clue how to run the country or how to react in an emergency situation. They like their predecessors still think that the biggest threat we face is a bombing attack from Russia, or obese children due to excessive sugar levels in their drinks. Anyone else remember the "preparing for emergencies" booklet we all had shoved through our letterboxes not so long ago? Despite repeated warnings over many years that we should be prepared for a medical pandemic/crisis, it appears that there was absolutely nothing in place to even give guidelines as to what to do.

Catriona likes this.
  6. peterba

Just seen the following headline on the Beeb: "Cummings claims are not true, says Hancock"

In more simple terms: "Alleged liar alleges that an alleged liar was lying (allegedly)." o_O

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    IvorETower, Zou, Learning and 2 others like this.
  7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You can't speak for his loyalty? The man is a serial philanderer who has betrayed every woman he has ever been with. That's hardly a secret. He lied to the Queen, via Rees-Mogg. How many examples do you need?

And Hitler got elected - being elected is hardly a measure of how pleasant someone is. The above, making a career out of lying, presiding over the unnecessary deaths of tens of thousands of people, putting his own career over the best interests of the country - you name it, in every way he has shown himself to be an utterly vile person.

Vengeful, perhaps not. But aside from that, my quip absolutely works unless one has a deeply distorted moral compass, like the two loathesome individuals we're discussing.

8. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

If he was Italian that would be an essential qualification for the job...

Benchista likes this.
  9. peterba

You mean........ Jeremy Hunt?!! ;) ;) :D

I'm fairly sure that you were actually referring to a certain other 'Jeremy', Willie, but I note that Mr Hunt seems to have 'popped up' a few times recently, on various TV programmes. My suspicious mind thinks that he might be waving (from a safe distance) to the Tory Party, and saying "I'm still here, if you need me........". :)

WillieJ likes this.
  10. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I don't think he could have made me despise him more. the short clips I've seen of his main claims do actually make me believe he isn't quite as despicable as I previously rated him.
    A one of the comments (BJ just saw covid as a scare story in feb 20) was somewhat of a so-what? I think most of us felt it was just another swine flu at that point.
    He did admit some non specific responsibility (as a senior advisor) & apologised for that.

Overall it felt like a vendetta from someone who's had a huge falling out, but his claims can be investigated & proved or disproved. It left me wondering if he had lost someone in one of the care homes, although his comments at the time where very callous & implied it wouldn't effect him.

peterba likes this.
  11. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Definition of Definition: see politician

Graeme

12. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I was considering only his political life and he was loyal to Cummings and supported him in the Barnard Castle debacle.
    We Know he is a serial liar, profligate to the point of compulsion, and I acknowledged that in my post.
    Purely as an historical note, nothing to do with the discussion, Hitler was never elected for anything, anytime, except, perhaps, in an ad hoc vote in 1921 to lead the NSDAP. in 1932 the Nazi Party was elected to the Reichstag and although they were the largest single party, their percentage of the vote was falling. Hindenburg appointed him Chancellor under pressure from industrialists frightened by the fact that the combined left wing parties had more seats.

13. WillieJ

I do not believe loyalty remotely came into his support of Cummings. He merely thought Cummings was very important to his own career.

14. Learning

I have no reason to think that Cummings is a psychopath.
    He might well be a very good example of a high functioning person who is to some extent autistic. That cold ability to analyse, to act logically irrespective of sentimentality. The only reason i see to suggest otherwise is that he seems to be happily married to a very understanding spouse;
    I don't claim to be anywhere near his ability.
    It takes one to know one. It is not a handicap or disability. In many roles it is an advantage.

15. Learning

I don't know why you show a smiley. Your summary is is accurate and to the point.

peterba likes this.
  16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

David Davis/Davies springs to mind as a porky teller who wasn't held to account.

peterba likes this.
  17. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Seems like a couple of respected scientists have backed Cummings on one vital point:
    Channel 4 took the initiative to interview Dr Richard Horton, the Editor of the Lancet, and Prof. Devi Sridhar, the Chair of Global Public Health at the University of Edinburgh this afternoon and this revealed further surprising revelation. Dr Horton reports that during the early months of the pandemic, he had a number of NHS medical staff contacting him and reporting that they were fast running out of PPE, that there was no treatment available and that there was no plan and no preparedness. This, he tells us, was at a time when the government were claiming the complete opposite. Horton adds that Cummings has basically just corroborated what he was being told by health professionals at the time.

Do I believe everything that Cummings said? Probably not, and he undoubtedly dodged the Barnard Castle issue, but then again I do believe his allegations against Boris saying, "It's just a case of swine flu". as it has the ring of authenticity. As for Hancock? His Pants have been on fire since he took office......

peterba and Learning like this.
  18. Learning

Don't forget that Corbyn has more than one relationship, although he did had the decency to marry two of them.

19. WillieJ

to use an expression from my growing up, playground not home - what has that got to do with the price of sugar?
    Translation - completely irrelevant observation.
    and yes I do know I mentioned Jezza but I did so in a relevant way.

peterba likes this.
  20. WillieJ

For what its worth, I have had (considerably) more than one relationship but I only had the decency to marry one - dear readers.

miked and peterba like this.