1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Even if you hate Cummings ...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, May 26, 2021.

1. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

The thing that makes me question whether or not what he said was true or not was the bit about his trip to Barnard Castle. If, as he said he was moving his family for security reasons, following threats, why not say so at the time. It would have been far more believable than the childminding and eyetest excuses and I think more people would have been prepared to accept that.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Definition of politician: see liar.
    Definition of liar: see politician.

beatnik69 likes this.
  3. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Quite. We know he is prone to misrepresenting the truth (see how cleverly I avoided calling him and out and out liar?) so how much of what he said can we really believe?

What I believe is that he is a very clever man who knows just how far he can go in making uncheckable statements. I also hold the opinion that he is a disloyal, vengeful and thoroughly unpleasant man.

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

If he's as clever as he thinks he is, why not stand for election?

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I sort of believe his explanation. BJ or others came up with a lie and he just rolled with it. Whether it is true or not, I can see that happening.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

FB_IMG_1622104917973.jpg

Zou, Gezza, John Farrell and 2 others like this.
  7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well absolutely, but that applies equally to Cummings, not just Johnson.

Zou and WillieJ like this.
  8. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

He did allude to security concerns at the time though the only example he gave was that "people had been shouting at me in the street." If I were him I would have watched my back more if no-one had shouted at mein the streets.

9. WillieJ

I think he is an arse but he made some very specific statements which could lead to him being sued for slander - if they were untrue.
    Edit - If Bozo or Handcock have said retract or be sued then I must have missed it. It is one thing to ask cabinet ministers to go on tv making anodyne statements in defence of their boss it is quite another for them to be asked to commit perjury in a court of law.

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I think that Cummings is hoping to distance himself from any sort of blame, but what he is actually doing is making himself even more despised with the British public.

It’s fair to say we don’t like incompetence, even worse when people don’t accept or admit their incompetence. What the public dislike even more is not accepting and admitting their incompetence, whilst shifting the blame by stabbing others in the back.

11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I was wandering about the legal position. Does Cummings enjoy parliamentary privilege while giving evidence to a parliamentary committee within parliament.
    If not, was he attempting to challenge Hancock to sue him?

12. WillieJ

It has most definately not made this member of the british public despise him more.

dangie likes this.
  13. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

There is no doubt that he is intelligent.
    However is he to be trusted,
    Is he ever loyal to anyone,
    You can never tell what his true agenda is.
    He is like riding a tigers back.
    You may be his target all along.

Catriona likes this.
  14. WillieJ

I have not studied constiutional law since the early 70s and strangely enough the topic did not come up.
    According to Wiki.
    "Parliamentary privilege in the United Kingdom is a legal immunity enjoyed by members of the House of Commons and House of Lords designed to ensure that parliamentarians are able to carry out their duties free from interference."

15. Learning

Cummings admitted what he considered to be his share of the blame. He apologised for it. That distances him from the politicians.
    I have been very critical of Bozo for months. He is out of his depth. He became prime minister to get Brexit done. He bulldozed his way through detailed little obstacles. He was the right PM for that job. The pandemic required a very different type of person.

16. Learning

and Cummings is not a member of either house. I apologise for making an obvious point. I just wanted to emphasise it.

17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

If anyone here is around in 2050/1 can they check the Cabinet papers for us...

18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I think if you tell porkies before a Parliamentary committee then you can be held to account,what the punishment is I don't know

Catriona likes this.
  19. WillieJ

no furries :)

20. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I wouldn't tar Johnson with those brushes, other than him having an equally remote relationship with veracity. Although I can't speak for his loyalty, I do not believe he is vengeful, and the problem is that rather than being thoroughly unpleasant, it seems various electorates find him rather likeable - Oxford Union, Henley (twice), London (twice), Uxbridge and South Ruislip (three times), the Conservative party and by inference, the UK.

Sorry - your quip doesn't really work! :p