1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU referendum - aftermath

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, Jun 23, 2016.

?

How did you vote?

1. Remain

45 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. Leave

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Spoiled ballot

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Didn't vote

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Wasn't eligible

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

I'm still angry, I can't see this subsiding given what a monumentally stupid decision I think this is. I was up at 3am penning a letter to my MP. I realise that it's highly unlikely to change anything, going against the result of the referendum would be political suicide, but what else can one do?
    --------
    Dear Mr. Boles,

This is a letter that I really did not expect to have to write to you. I hoped that the people of this country and constituency would be sensible enough to listen to the majority of economists and see through the immigration bogeyman and the blatant lies extolled by a disingenuous leave campaign, statements that are already being backtracked on in less than a day since the UK decided on a Brexit.

The move towards a far-right, xenophobic and inward looking Britain is not a vision of our future that I want or relish. The divides in the country are now greater than they were before the polls opened, with a chasm so wide it’s hard to see how such a rift could be healed. The way that the Remain campaign was handled was also shameful. Concentrating on their own fear mongering of armed conflict and emergency punishing budgets, instead of advocating the many positives the UK being part of the EU has.

I fear for more civil unrest as the extreme fascist right now has a mandate for an anti-immigration agenda, we’re already starting to see this on social media channels (see notable Physicist Jim Al-Khalili’s twitter feed for example), and when the promises made by the Leave campaign can’t be met, the situation will further worsen.

But it is still not too late. UK referendums are not legally binding, article 50 has not yet been invoked, it is still possible to avoid the looming economic disaster we are already starting to see forming. I would urge you to seek sense within parliament and use the majority of MPs and their view that an exit for the UK from the EU would be a bad thing and veto the move to become an insular country.

The other outcome is too unthinkable to contemplate.

daft_biker likes this.
  2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

And Murdoch now has his way and will be able to tell No 10 what to do.

S

3. steveandthedogs

Marty - I agree with just about everything you have written, but I fear that the process will advance as the leavers want. The EU will also want a fast resolution to the matter and I think the others will push for us to go a.s.a.p. And I wouldn't blame them.
    "The UK has had its credit rating outlook downgraded to "negative" by the ratings agency Moody's after the country voted to leave the EU.

Moody's said the result would herald "a prolonged period of uncertainty".

Meanwhile, PM David Cameron is under pressure to speed up "divorce" talks with the EU after Brussels said exit negotiations should start immediately.

EU head Jean-Claude Juncker said it was "not an amicable divorce", but it was "not a tight love affair anyway".

Moody's said the referendum result would have "negative implications for the country's medium-term growth outlook", and it lowered the UK's long term issuer and debt ratings to "negative" from "stable"."
    "President Jean-Claude Juncker said: "Britons decided yesterday that they want to leave the European Union, so it doesn't make any sense to wait until October to try to negotiate the terms of their departure - I would like to get started immediately.""

Not only that, but the Americans have just reiterated that the UK will go to the back of the queue as regards any trade deals.

S

MartyG likes this.
  4. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

peterba likes this.
  5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

The petition for a second referendum now stands at well over 800,000. Sign here.

Last night, Frances was in tears. "It's as if a friend has died," she said.

Cheers,

R.

6. steveandthedogs

Too late, Roger, signed it yesterday!

S

7. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

peterba likes this.
  8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Having suffered through the Scottish referendum with its misinformation and, frankly, wickedness and insults, I am strangely calm about the current situation and look on, wondering how some can have such short memories. If England wants a fascist state, so be it. It will be interesting to see the outcome.

Zou likes this.
  9. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Kate, well said. I was pleased that Scotland stayed in the UK after their referendum. I also hope that Scotland gets another one and leaves. And Northern Ireland too. I wouldn't blame them.
    The leave campaign said it would put the great back into Britain. How would that work with a sizeable chunk being independent? There won't be a Great Britain anymore as an entity.

peterba and Zou like this.
  10. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Have now officially signed.

I've been near to tears yesterday too, and did cry when I was at work. It feels like a bereavement to me too.

11. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Hmmmm.... I suspect that it is a fake. I know nothing about Facebook, but I note that the link contains the word "theater". Does that signify anything, or am I on the wrong track there?

I agree with DaveM399's comment above - if it IS an act, she's very convincing. I certainly hope it is an act - otherwise the prospects for the coming generation don't look good.:(

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

This is why the left have to stop patronising and mocking leave voters and direct their anger at the appropriate target, capitalism.

13. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

The theatre part in the link is just the way the video is displayed, in theatre playback mode.

14. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Sort of true. But those who do not realize that the problem is capitalism in its current form, and have been bought and sold by people like Johnson and Farage (and Cameron and Gove and Osborne), need a kick up the arse as well.

The problem with late-stage capitalism is that too much money is chasing too few business opportunities.

Cheers,

R

15. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

I think there are further issues in that the public didn't have enough information on what the EU is and what the EU does, the second most searched for term on Google after the vote (within the UK) was "What is the EU": http://fortune.com/2016/06/24/brexit-google-trends/

And the general public being interviewed on the news doesn't fill me with confidence either, voting to leave because: "We've tried being in the EU, now let's try being out it", as if this is just something we can sign back up to if it all goes pear shaped.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    Roger Hicks likes this.
  16. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I finally managed to get on the site and sign around midnight. Now contacting friends to get them to sign. Not that it's likely to make a blind bit of difference, but it does make me feel slightly better....

Now well over a million (1,006,545 at 10:47AM).

I wonder if it would mean anything if it reaches 18 million?

17. peterba

Got it - thanks.:)

18. peterba

Just done this - and the figure is rising at an astonishing rate. I refreshed the page a few times, at 15-second intervals, and the number of signatures is rising by around 600 during each interval...!

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

What a marvelous exercise in counter-democracy!

20. steveandthedogs

Where's the counter-democracy? It was started by a member of the public, you can't get more democratic than that.

S

Roger Hicks likes this.