1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU referendum - aftermath

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, Jun 23, 2016.

?

How did you vote?

1. Remain

45 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. Leave

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Spoiled ballot

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Didn't vote

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Wasn't eligible

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

We have always been friends with Eurasia. We voted to leave Oceania.

Seriously though, if anyone has the lack of integrity to do such a thing, it would be a Tory like BoJo.

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I don't think he'll get that far - the news conference he gave earlier about "no rush to go" made him look very worried, almost as if he had been in the campaign for a lark and didn't really expect to win. And anyway:
    "Mr Juncker held crisis talks with European Parliament President Martin Schulz, president of the European Council Donald Tusk and Dutch PM Mark Rutte on Friday morning.

They then released a statement saying they regretted but respected the British decision.

They called for the UK "to give effect to this decision of the British people as soon as possible, however painful that process may be. Any delay would unnecessarily prolong uncertainty".

They added that the deal agreed with Mr Cameron in February to protect London's financial markets, curb immigration and opt out of closer union "ceases to exist" and "there will be no renegotiation"."

So that's the UK's major "industry" at serious risk, immigration no change...

S

3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

So, Mr Farage says, in a BBC interview, that a slogan on his campaign bus pledging £350m extra for the NHS was... "a mistake".

Lucky that it was only a trivial point, then...:mad:

steveandthedogs likes this.
  4. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

This is going to have massive implications for my local county council too, after I send them this letter in the post tomorrow.
    ------------------------------
    Dear South Kesteven District Council

I am writing to you today with regards to the results of the recent referendum. It has been unequivocally decided in my household with a 100% vote, that we should leave the local council.

The reasons for this are clear, the council is too bureaucratic, removing any decisions I want to make in my gentleman’s castle to a committee I have no control over. The money I pay into the council is far more than I get back from the services provided, plus I’m also completely against immigrants emptying my bins, jobs that real South Kesteven residents could have instead and I definitely don’t want them living near my house, so border controls are paramount.

I don’t want to leave completely of course, I still want the services you provide, I just don’t want to pay anything towards them, so I think by leaving the County Council I can get a better deal by renegotiating this to favour mostly myself.

I hope to hear from you soon and obviously I want this to happen immediately, not just have some watered down drivel of an agreement in two years’ time.

Yours Sincerely

A Disillusioned Resident.

Roger Hicks and steveandthedogs like this.
  5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

No such thing as good or bad loosers in politics.
    you just keep on plugging away for what you believe.

The UK, as it was, may become a distant memory of faded glory.
    and return to being an insignificant island. But we shall all live in hopes of better things. Our rise and fall over the past 500 years has been interesting, but not good reading.
    Our try at being able to cooperate with other nations for the past 40 or so years has ended in abject failure. We are like a spoilt brat who will not share anything. Wants the biggest slice of the cake, and who always wants to steer the ship.
    This latest exploit will leave us with few friends and the poorer in every way.

I feel sorry for the young who have had their hopes and futures dashed by a bitter older generation who were never up to the task.

MartyG, steveandthedogs and peterba like this.
  6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Indeed. This evening, watching footage of delirious "Leave" voters oh-so-proudly waving the Union Jack that they think that they've "saved", I fell to wondering whether they actually realise that they have probably helped to promote the very circumstances for that flag's demise... i.e. if (when?) Scotland votes for independence.

That's about as succinct and apposite a description as I can possibly imagine. Unfortunately, our nation contains a substantial element that has become (perhaps always was?) deeply repulsive.

So true. It's very sad.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  7. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Interesting time for Britain. All 3 parties have no leader or no leader worth a toss. Great choice for us next time round :rolleyes:

Maybe Plato was right and tyranny is coming sooner than we thought

8. willie45

TBH I'm conflicted about all this. On the one hand, I'm a democrat and I respect the views of what I believe to be the majority of Brexiteers, but on the other I shudder at the thought of the plumber I last used voting on my future. His view on immigrants was quite bluntly expressed as I bade him farewell with a cheque in his hand. I'm just imagining several million of him lining up at the polling stations. Does this make me a bad person/a fascist/ a snob? I don't honestly know and I'm too tired to figure it out just now.

9. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Give it a couple of days and it won't even be in the papers..... the footie starts again tomorrow..... :D

daft_biker likes this.
  10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

So what's new?

11. willie45

Fair point. But is it my imagination or do they get worse over time?

12. willie45

And even the way Cameron expects the rest of Europe to stand idly by while the Tories elect his successor in October before acting is typical of that pathetic attitude. I am truly ashamed to say I'm British.

You're point about failing the young is quite correct and I heard some young people on the radio today complaining about their lives being thrown away by the older generation.

Roger Hicks and MartyG like this.
  13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It's probably down to the shift in style of politicians, they seem worse, but may not be. The use of spin-doctors has not helped, since it originated with Margaret Thatcher and probably peaked with Tony Blair was a backward step and has resulted in policies, such as they often are, being relegated to a secondary status, to mask how superficial they really are.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I don't think so - more likely our increasingly developed views as we age lead to measuring successive leaders by different criteria or always expecting more.

15. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

And apparently immigration won't fall. As was said elsewhere, all we have voted for is bendy bananas!

peterba and Roger Hicks like this.
  16. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Don't forget that all those wonderful projects - infrastructure, heritage, environment and so on- for which EU funding was on the cards can now be written off.

Lynn

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  17. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Not even that, since that was a Sun special.

S

peterba likes this.
  18. Trannifan

....which only come in bunches of three...............

Lynn

peterba likes this.
  19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It's been noted that in Sun-boycotted Liverpool the remain vote was far higher than in other cities with similar demographics.

peterba likes this.
  20. Trannifan

As Mr. Juncker has already pointed out, it doesn't take that long to organise a special party conference. Cameron is now going to find that the rest of the EU is lighting a big fire under his backside! As the Bobby Z once sang,"If you gotta go, go now:" Or The Moody Blues for that matter.

Lynn

steveandthedogs and peterba like this.