1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU referendum - aftermath

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, Jun 23, 2016.

?

How did you vote?

1. Remain

45 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. Leave

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Spoiled ballot

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Didn't vote

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Wasn't eligible

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Eh? Of course the choice to do as you please includes the right to be too lazy to do anything, but are you saying you're proud of that?

Cheers,

R.

3. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

I am appalled at some of the vitriol being spouted on the social media sites, I hav already closed my Twitter account and may well have to follow suit with Facebook.

Andrew

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I've not found much in these EU threads where I could agree with Roger H but his answer to you (Retrofit) really hits the perfect target perfectly. Not to vote in a democracy, for anyone except a criminal or one confined by 'section', is a total rejection of one's social obligations. To vote is far more than a right; it is a duty.
    I would rather a political opponent vote against me, or even better, aggresively debate the arguments, and then vote against me, than do nothing.
    Democracy is fragile, and there are many who would use democracy to destroy democracy. It is the duty of every decent citizen to protect and take part in our democracy.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  5. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Boris is on record as saying that if, as a result of brexit, the economy goes belly-up, he'll go on telly and say 'sorry'. The pound has nose-dived, the stock markets are going downhill.............You get what you voted for.

As far as a possible irish unification is an object for speculation- forget it, that's way too big a shadow for the Ulster Unionists to spring over. Dublin is, for them, still 'Rome rule'.

Apart from that, well, Marine LePen and Geert Wilders (Netherlands) are cheering loudly.

Lynn

steveandthedogs likes this.
  6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Only if there is a "None of the above option".

7. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

As the old saw has it, "Yesterday we were merely teetering on the brink. Today we're a giant step further!'

Lynn

8. Learning

There's always the least bad option, and in these days of social media there is a chance for us plebs to gang up and make an alternative point.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That's how tyrants rule - present choice, none of which is palatable. Then turn it around and say "well YOU voted for it." If the "least bad" option is still bad, DON'T ENDORSE IT!

10. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I was undecided, steering towards leave, but I didn't vote in the end.

If the current government were so sure that an EU remain was the way to go, then they should have got on with it...

11. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

They should have done - this was a gamble from Cameron to silence the Euroskeptics in the party, one he thought he'd win. What he didn't expect is a rise in nationalism.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The referendum was an election pledge, intended to head off some sections of the Conservative party and also partially derail UKIP presumably. Some pledges can be sidestepped, but this one would have been difficult to avoid.

13. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

When all the dust settles in a couple of years and we can't blame the EU for all our woes, who will we pick on? Trump?

Roger Hicks likes this.
  14. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

It'll still be blamed on the EU for not giving us a fair deal.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  15. Learning

That's why tyrants try to ban public debate and social media.

16. Roger Hicks

I suspect they LOVE social media, because it's easy to create echo chambers and polarize people.

Cheers,

R.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Sounds plausible but Erdogan certainly doesn't appear to be a fan.

18. Roger Hicks

True. You need to be good at using them for your own ends. Erdogan is just an old-fashioned dictator. Trump is a would-be new style dictator; and I don't think Boris is far behind him.

Cheers,

R.

19. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Sad, depressed and seeing a Norwegian model on the horizon where we pay billions to the EU and have to accept freedom of movement but don't get a proper say in running the EU. I see Boris is already having political regrets and was booed by a mob outside his house this morning. Our locals here think all the Poles are on a boat back to Poland tomorrow ... little do then know, or come to it, understand.

MartyG likes this.
  20. Roger Hicks

A long shot, but... What if Alexander B. de P. Johnson got the party leadership and then weaseled out of invoking Article 50?
    Remember:

WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Cheers,

R.