1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU referendum - aftermath

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, Jun 23, 2016.

?

How did you vote?

1. Remain

45 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. Leave

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Spoiled ballot

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Didn't vote

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Wasn't eligible

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input Mike, it's always good to hear from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

I'm hoping you're wrong about a rabid brexiter as PM, as May would be the best of the bunch by a long way and wouldn't (I hope) go in rubbing people up the wrong way and alienating potential allies (We need all we can get).

It would also help if the general populace had actual information on the EU and how it works, rather than the misinformation spouted by certain sections of the press.

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes it is a toss-up whether EU gets better treatment in the press than England football managers. Bottom line might be the press barons hate EU because they have no power over it. As power shifts away from Westminster, so their own (massive) personal power is eroded. They like to choose who is in power and to be the kingmakers and at EU level they are just irrelevant. They don't like that one bit.
    "Independence and freedom" for UK translates to personal power for themselves, not the voters.

Footloose and steveandthedogs like this.
  3. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Pretty much sums it up.

The only paper that's been reasonably even-handed over the affair has been the London Evening Standard (Which I pick up on my way home), and of course could be seen as part of the "metropolitan elite establishment), at least by some with skewed world views.

4. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Murdoch is on record as saying that Downing St. listens to him whereas in Brussels they merely smile but otherwise ignore him.

Lynn

steveandthedogs likes this.
  5. RovingMike

Yep, I feel more secure out of the clutches of people like him. Was ever thus...Beaverbrook, Northcliffe etc rulers by default. Gove didn't decide anything, his wife at the Mail told him what to do.

6. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I saw that the England team are stuck in Calais....apparently they dont qualify as skilled workers....

Graeme

Trannifan and Zou like this.
  7. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Suggesting he is just a puppet..... wait a minute did he not used to be Lady penelope's butler?

Graeme

8. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

9. RovingMike

:):)

The famous leaked email was effectively from Paul Dacre, through Gove's wife telling him that if he didn't get assurances from Boris that he could run everything that mattered, he had to dump Boris. Boris wouldn't let him be Dep PM and run Brexit, so effectively the Mail, and by inference the Murdoch press too, dumped Boris. Not an act of treachery, just the press flexing its muscle. They put Boris there, they took him away when he proved uncontrollable.

10. Trannifan

You have to realise that Juncker wasn't Angela Merkel's choice for the job. Since he is now trying to slip CETA and eventually TTIP through without giving the national governments or the european parliament a say then, besides confirming all those suspicions about the democratic nature of the European Commission, he may possibly find himself collecting the european version of a P45.

There is however a general feeling that the UK is either in or out and that there can be no half-measures, no cherry-picking.

Lynn

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Followers of Schrödinger may disagree. ;)

12. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

We can only be in and out whilst heads are stuck in the sand. Once you take a look ...

13. RovingMike

This seems to be very perceptive. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...m-tory-right-brexit-roll-back-state?CMP=fb_gu
    Now that people like Johnson and Farage are gone, the Brexit commitment within the conservatives has actually hardened. It is easy to see that even the Remainers, were quite content to lose and saw opportunities in it.

I have always been puzzled about why Peter Hargreaves bankrolled Brexit, but messages from Hargreaves Lansdown to their investors right from the start have stressed opportunities from the chaos. Clearly the election of Corbyn helped to open the way, because it meant that Labour was unelectable and there would be no effective opposition. But still no idea why Corbyn sabotaged Labour's opposition to Brexit. What can he have hoped to gain? It has to be huge bad news for the have-nots in society.

14. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Fascinating read that Mike, and almost unbelievable, almost!

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Ken Clarke and Malcolm Rifkind have far too much experience of the media to be caught out by an open microphone in a Sky studio.:)

16. Trannifan

steveandthedogs likes this.
  17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Another reason for Brexit support - dive in value of £ means foreign owned assets/stocks worth more on UK market. Helps some folk along.

18. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

19. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I have decided to keep all the US dollars that I have left over from my holiday...they are going to become useful.

On the positive side, I see that the Royal Bank of Scotland have saved 900m by buying dollars just before our descent.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36722553
    Smart move.

Otherwise, our face continues to benefit from the self removal of our nose...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business

Graeme

20. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

And you can bet shares in laxative products will drop through the bottom:D
    No-one who has the slightest idea of what is to come needs them any more.