1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU referendum - aftermath

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, Jun 23, 2016.

?

How did you vote?

1. Remain

45 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. Leave

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Spoiled ballot

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Didn't vote

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Wasn't eligible

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well I had dual UK/Cypriot nationality due to being there before and after independence, until the Turks invaded in '74, when I gave it up to avoid being expected to go and fight.I might ask nicely if they will have me back.

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Frying pans and fires come to mind. This Brexit is going to have repercussions far beyond UK as it stands today. UK, or perhaps the remaining bits, may not be the biggest loser.
    I would be sorry to see Scotland leave the UK. Previously, even recently, I have commented that the Scots are so far separated by politics that I would support their bid for independance. Well if that's what they really want, then let them go. But I would be very sad to see that.
    Northern Ireland is,to me, different. Just as England, Scotland, and Wales (in alphabetical order, not importance) is one island and our bloods are very well mixed by marriage, so is Ireland, even if their bloods are not so well mixed due to stupid irrational religeous divisions. It may well be the time to poll Northern Ireland for independence. The natural result of independence would be re-unification of Ireland. Sure Unionists would not like to lose, but it might well be the sensible act that strengthens both Ireland and UK. Also the various IRA factions would be defeated. Their terrorism made totally irrelevant by honest and decent democratic processes. Europe is changing and old orders are being challenged. Make sure that all ends well.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Or, he is intending to let somebody else become marginalised clearing up the mess he was instrumental in creating and then ride in on his white charger (or bike anyway).

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Probably too many old skeletons in the cupboard being rattled by his "friends" for Boris to risk going for pm.

5. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

You do him a lot of credit there. I doubt the most die-hard Tory member really is fooled by him

Learning likes this.
  6. Learning

We are not fooled by him. Actually I am not a member because I am too tight fisted to pay a sub, but my politics tend to that direction..

7. Learning

I think that you understand the situation perfectly.
    You could say much about the odious Gove.

I hope that Mrs. May gets it.

8. andymcd

andymcd Well-Known Member

Anyone looking to jump ship could look here... http://romaniansadoptremainians.gandul.info/

Personally, if the terms are the same as the proposed ones in 2014 I will be able to get a Scottish passport and move North of the border. Hopefully things won't get that bad and will settle down once we get some actual leadership (from either party).

9. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

So once you have cut yourself off from Scotland and Ireland, closed the borders to imigration, you should be well on the way to to ensuring that a pure blood-line can be re-established. Only at the price of starting a civil war in Ireland and impoverishing everyone inside and outside England especially pensioners. Jolly spiffing idea old chap.

I suppose the flipside is that if I'm wrong, the Little Englanders extinction will be quickly brought about by a combination of inbreeding and an outrageous overdependance on a diet of milk and honey.

Graeme

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  10. willie45

I'm pretty sure bigotry and insular views aren't the exclusive domain of the "little englanders" :rolleyes:

Footloose likes this.
  11. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Willie,

Indisputably true. Nor are stupidity, far-right politics and utter ignorance. On the other hand, are you likely to find more bigotry and insularity, not to mention stupidity, far-right politics and utter ignorance, in the Little England "Leave" camp or among Remainers?

Leavers might do well to admit that they aren't all inclusive, well-informed intellectuals, even if many are. They might then ask themselves who swung the referendum in their favour.

Cheers,

R.

Footloose likes this.
  12. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Yes you are absolutely correct.... but most people agree that the positive thing to do -is to work against it rather than embrace it.

Graeme

13. RovingMike

Yes it was all going to come back to haunt him: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/01/boris-johnson-lies-no-10 But as Gove's wife said in the leaked email. without Gove behind Boris, Dacre and Murdoch would not support. They appear to be the kingmakers for the section of the population that have no independent brain.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  14. willie45

I get that, but I was really referring to some of the arguments coming from North of the Border following the referendum up there a while back and periodically ever since

15. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

I see Gove has promised to "take all steps possible to give the NHS at least another £100m by 2020" if made leader. However: http://www.kingsfund.org.uk/projects/nhs-in-a-nutshell/nhs-budget

Smoke and mirrors; stated in such a way that it can be wriggled out of, not that it was on top of that already budgeted.

I've got some rather lovely snake oil if anyone's interested in buying some.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  16. RovingMike

The Independent's online poll has 69% of Leave voters now regretting it.

daft_biker likes this.
  17. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

£350 million per week, Mr Gove?

S

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I suspect the Express, Mail or Sun would find rather different figures were they to run the poll.

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Tut tut, you need to learn the difference between could, should, and will!

20. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

I've just spoken to the mayor of our village to ask him if he would write me the necessary character reference for becoming a French citizen. He said yes...

I also asked him if I could tell my English friends that I know a charming village where the mayor has no objection to more English incomers. He said he had no problem with that...

Cheers,

R.

Footloose and Terrywoodenpic like this.