1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU referendum - aftermath

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, Jun 23, 2016.

?

How did you vote?

1. Remain

45 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. Leave

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Spoiled ballot

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Didn't vote

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Wasn't eligible

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

He'll be able to take over as leader once the new one sacrifices their head for activating Article 50 - it's a clever move.

Zou likes this.
  2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Except that Major did subsequently win an election. He later went to the wire and lost to New Labour led by Blair.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Predictably. It was an ill-thought-out referendum, called for party advantage by a selfish buffoon with an excessive sense of entitlement. With such sloppy premises, neither side was ever going to regard the result as legitimate if they lost.

Cheers,

R.

MartyG likes this.
  4. Roger Hicks

Dear Marty,

Clever? Boris? Somehow I doubt it. If -- big if -- anyone half-sane in any party gets their act together, the Boride is history.

Cheers,

R.

5. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

So not some well thought-out master plan then? I don't like any of the candidates, the only positive I see is May has pledged not to scrap the ECHR. Would May as a pro-Remain have credibility as PM? The others were all in the Leave camp I believe (oh, no, Stephen Crabb was remain)..

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Labour is in a bigger mess than the Conservatives. The Conservatives have a process to find a leader that works, more or less.
    Labour has been taken over by a large number of hard left supporters (plus mischief making right wingers) who paid about a fiver to get a vote on the leadership. If the parlimentary party (who have been proven to be able to win a constituency) do force a leadership election then Comrade Corbynov will simple bounce back. It is likely that Labour MPs who have been disloyal to Corbyn will be deslected. Some may well defect to another party even while they are still MPs.
    I don't trust any political party, not even the one that I support as the least harmful. I feel that it is essential that UK has an opposition capable of government should the occasion arise. Labour is not performing that function, and does not show any progress to rectifying the situation. At least the Tories seem likely to have a new PM in place by early September.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The new PM is likely to need a competant minister to be doing much of the bargaining with the EU. A remainer PM could have credibility if she chooses a heavy weight leaver in that role.

8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

At least five members of my immediate family have already taken the decision to get foreign citizenship, and my wife is wondering whether she is too old to apply for an Irish passport (on the strength of two Irish grandparents). For myself I am not sure who would have me but I did my National Service in a Highland regiment so perhaps I will be qualified for a Scottish passport.

9. Roger Hicks

Dear Marty,

Surely the rest of your post was superfluous.

Cheers,

R.

Zou and MartyG like this.
  10. Roger Hicks

Dear Roger,

Irish by marriage?

Cheers,

R.

RogerMac likes this.
  11. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Is everybody jumping ship?

12. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

STAY CALM EVERYBODY......KEEP A COOL HEAD......its just like no mans land without the barbwire, but it is going to get very very DIRTY...on both sides, Scotland might be in charge soon!

13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Dad's side is clan McQueen, but I don't know ATM how far back I'd have to go to find a Scottish family member.

I *think*, from conversations with my elderly (And low long deceased) aunt (Dad's older sister) that one relatively recent relative had been Lord Provost of Glasgow. I suspect the pinch of salt needed would be seriously bad for my heart.

14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I've only briefly looked into the possibility , but yes it would appear you could become an Irish citizen simply by being married to someone with Irish grandparents.

15. Roger Hicks

What will it cost you? The numbers that follow are illustrative only, and from imperfect memory of the late 1970s, but the 10x multiplier at each stage is the point. My first wife's mother was half-Swiss, and could have got a Swiss passport for (let us say) £20. At that point, Cath (my ex-wife) could have got a Swiss passport for £200. Then I could have got one for being married to a Swiss, for £2000... If I'd wanted one (they weren't fussed), I'd have needed to pay for the lot, £2,220. Given my finances at the time, it might as well have been £2 million.

Cheers,

R.

16. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

As I said, it was just a brief look to see if we'd be eligible. I didn't dig that deep.

17. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I know we let down the teens too young to vote but the teens and early 20s old enough to vote let us all down too. The number of young people I've spoken to who could have voted, wanted to stay in the EU but didn't is an absolute disgrace. Too busy sending photos of their genitalia to their friends maybe. We've brought up quite an apathetic generation. We've not shown them the path or hot to live properly I'm afraid. Maybe we deserve to be isolated and I guess the EU is better off without us.

18. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I suspect Boris has found, on looking, that no-one of any persuasion over europe in his own party trusts him as far as they can spit him, and that they can see him for the odious twat that he is. If it had been otherwise he'd be chucking himself into the fray with all the strength he could muster

19. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

Some interesting facts coming up.....I only know one young person who voted she is 19 and currently teaching English abroad before she goes to Uni in this country....everybody else has just said they have never been interested in us so why should we be interested in them they were I presume talking about the politicians and not the vote, surprising when I asked if they had of voted they said they would stay as we are! In the E,U. It has been noted as well that we normally see a lot of the local MPs about but we have seen none this week, I wonder why? and yes we have just learned that Boris had dropped out the running because somebody told him he just was not up to being a P.M.

20. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Now why am I totally unsurprised that BoJo has chickened out? Presumably the entrails weren't propitious.

Pre-referendum = null.

Lynn