1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU referendum - aftermath

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, Jun 23, 2016.

?

How did you vote?

1. Remain

45 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. Leave

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Spoiled ballot

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Didn't vote

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Wasn't eligible

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Thankyou Brexit - sterling has nose-dived and my pension is now vitually worthless! The lunatics have taken over the asylum. Farago is now apparently demanding that brexit forms the government.....

lynn

Roger Hicks likes this.
  2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I disagree. The dust needs to settle first.

Zou likes this.
  3. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Hopefully, we will be out of Eurovision too! I think that's what the Brexiteers thought they were voting for!!

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Meh, independent Scotland will be in it and win it!

5. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Dust? What dust? It's sh1 t that the fan is blowing around.

Graeme

6. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

United Ireland, Independent Scotland and England and Wales left to lie on the bed they've just made !o_O

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Canny suggestion has been made that Scotland make UDI whilst the other UK nations are distracted with their Euro 2016 matches this weekend. :D

8. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Yep, most probably

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Cameron has made the correct decision to go in a way that allows a new party leader to be appointed in a sensible manner. I think that Bojo and Gove are seen as obnoxious by too many people, both Conservative and others, to have adequate support for success. Theresa May might be rather good.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/po...nally-be-about-make-her-leadership-bid---bor/

Don't forget that the Labour heartlands provided many Brexit votes. Comrade Corbyn has failed to lead Labour just as much as Cameron failed to lead the Conservatives.

Whether a new prime minister should seek a new mandate by calling a general election is arguable. It would be good for the country to see how effective the new PM can be before an election.
    From the point of the Conservatives it might be better to go for a quick election with a new leader, especially if they have a popular choice and Labour are still stuck with Corbyn.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

New mandates by calling elections following a change of leader don't tend to happen. In recent times think Major replacing Thatcher and Brown succeeding (if that is an apt word) Blair.

11. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Well, I'm now investigating French citizenship... Looks possible.

Frances and I should be celebrating our 34th wedding anniversary today but we don't feel much like celebrating anything.

Cheers,

R.

12. Lost_In_France

Lost_In_France Well-Known Member

From what I remember it's a minimum of ten years uninterrupted residency in the country plus a sh*t load of money to get all your English language documentation officially translated.

13. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Mark,

No, it's 5 years, and no, you need very little in the way of official translations. You don't even need the language test beyond the age of 60.

Cheers,

R.

14. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Really? I passed 60 a few months back, so maybe....
    Dunno, to early for me to make any kind of plans.

15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Roger it sounds like you might have a few guests!

16. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Just goes to show that the voters on this forum do not represent the majority of the country, thank God.

Learning likes this.
  17. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

So what do we do now? Cut the mooring ropes, pull up the anchors and sail off into the Atlantic, there to pull out the plugs/open the sea cocks and sink into oblivion. A second Atlantis.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  18. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I'm Irish so still part of the E.U but my life is in the U.K. Sad sad day just hope it doesn't turn out to be a really bad bad day. The implications are absolutely immense and I doubt the majority of voters have thought this one through. Somehow the world feels a lot less safer.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  19. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Looking at the results table on the BBC, Scotland, Northern Ireland and London voted to Remain.

Scotland will almost certainly vote to leave the Union in another referendum, there are stirrings (Perhaps more than stirrings) for a referendum on the border in NI, which just leaves London, where there's already an undercurrent of 25% who think we should become a city-state, and some say it could happen by 2035. Do I think it will happen? Probably not, but then I thought we'd stay in the EU, so....

United Kingdom? Untied Kingdom more like.

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Sinn Fein have already called for a referendum on reuniting Ireland.