1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU referendum - aftermath

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, Jun 23, 2016.

?

How did you vote?

1. Remain

45 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. Leave

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Spoiled ballot

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Didn't vote

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Wasn't eligible

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Following the Ref, the right wingers/extremists seem to be making more noise than those who aren't and maybe I'm voicing the obvious in saying a lot of EU member countries are not happy with the way Brussels 'controls' them?

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Parliament will vote to leave, they will all be too scared of losing their seats.

S

3. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Given the positions of the various media proprietors with regard to the EU it doesn't really surprise me at all that the legal and constitutional side of the affair is being ignored.

I wonder now if the reason the chief brexiters were short on concepts for the follow-up to a referendum victory was that they were aware of the legal and constitutional banana-skins and were therefore wary about publicly committing themselves to what couild turn out to be the equivalent of playing hopscotch in a legal and constitutional minefield...............

The question is also whether Cameron has been completely open with the rest of the EU regarding these legal and constitutional niceties.

The first one to blink is dead.......

Oh yes, since the referendum result came out, the city of Cologne has received, on average, twenty applications and enquiries a day from Brits regarding German citizenship. For other cities in Germany the figures are probably similar.

Lynn

4. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Was the refendum held on a constituency basis or, the impression I've got, on administrative areas which cover multiple constituencies?
    In any case, I can't see SNP and a couple other parties as well as MPs with London constituencies being particularly concerned about the prospect of losing their seats, especially those who intend to stand down at the next general election.

Lynn

5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Unfortunately not all London constituencies voted Remain. Mine voted Leave, but then they also elected BoJo. TBH they'd have elected a stuffed monkey if it had a blue rosette.

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Dave,

How do you tell the difference?

Cheers,

R.

7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

The monkey is slightly more capable.

Zou and steveandthedogs like this.
  8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

A totally meaningless statement, without the pre-referendum figures.

I too am less than happy with the result, which I consider a pyrrhic victory, alas many in the remain camp are now behaving in exactly the way I predicted the leave camp would should the result have been remain.

9. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Dave,

And quieter -- though the Boride is keeping pretty quiet at the moment, having begun to understand just how deep he has landed himself and his country dans le chocolat.

Cheers,

R.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

So Gove has deserted Bojo and will run for himself. Gove was supposed to be the brain that gave Boris some credibility wasn't he? This is now a very split ticket, so May could win with minority support.

11. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

And noting Teresa May's dig this morning about "playing games", exactly what BoJo has been doing.

Thinking about the rush for the poisoned chalice that is the Tory leadership Teresa may be the best (Or least bad) of a bad bunch. PM Gove anyone? No, I thought not. We need someone who has backbone and experience, but who won't go in guns blazing and rub everyone up the wrong way.

In 20-30 years time, when today's teenagers whom we've royally shafted are in charge they may want to try and rejoin. Still having friends on the inside will help.

12. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

We must now wait for the Tory party to select from its more objectionable types, our next prime minister.
    so much for democracy.

I firmly believe that when a prime minister resigns that there should be a new election.

13. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

The man who said we're sick of listening to experts was the brains? That bodes well.

14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

There is no precedent for an election when the PM changes. Think in recent times Thatcher-Major, Blair-Brown.

Aside of that neither of the main parties is in any state to fight an election.

15. steveandthedogs

My French isn't good, but shouldn't that be "Il est" rather than "Dans"?

Assuming "chocolat" means what I think in this case...

S

16. steveandthedogs

True, the country is in the worst mess it has been in for decades [centuries?] and all the politicians can do is squabble over who should be King of the Ordure.

S

17. RovingMike

Just going on the wires that Bojo is out, I hear...... He's ducking the fallout.

18. RovingMike

No we don't have a presidential system. We elect the party and they choose the PM. But May could decide the majority is too slender and want o go to the country. That would be fun, would they be pitching in or out? Both Cons and Lab would be split. Lab breakaway could join LibDems and they could be the only electable party on an In ticket.

19. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I am well aware of that.
    However elections should not be held just to please or for the convenience of politicians.
    they should be for the benefit of the electorate.

Thatcher-major and Blair- brown prove my point. they would not have got in any other way.
    No one wanted them.

20. Lost_In_France

Lost_In_France Well-Known Member

What I've been thinking for a few days. And given the past few days, it seems anything is now possible in British politics!