1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU referendum - aftermath

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, Jun 23, 2016.

?

How did you vote?

1. Remain

45 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. Leave

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Spoiled ballot

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Didn't vote

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Wasn't eligible

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

The above would seem to be somewhat relevant in view of some of the recent revelations linked in this and other threads.

2. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

They're in a lose-lose position. The UK won't be able to get the deal that the Leave camp want (given the four pillars on which the EU is built, which would seem immutable) and the Remain camp doesn't want to leave. The only party I can see benefiting is UKIP, because it'll strengthen their position as the champion of the people, the party that would get a "better deal for the UK". Perhaps that was Farage's game plan all along.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

He doesn't want to be the one to break his word. He said he'd be bound by the referendum. Think he is hoping for anything from EU that gives a successor scope to say the basis of the decision has changed, but they are afraid of effect on other countries if they give it.
    If they ever really hoped to unite Europe, it had to be done by gradual merging of interests through a much looser set of membership levels / terms I guess.

4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Roger Hicks likes this.
  5. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

Oh dear it seems Germany wants to leave the eu as well, thats what the folk who live there are saying, watch this space, there may be trouble ahead....

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Is that the case except on the far right and among the partially witted? What links have you? (I genuinely don't know.)

Cheers,

R.

7. IvorCamera

Hi Roger as I am grounded for a while and stuck in the house, just to pass the time I have been checking all sorts of stuff out on the net...I logged into yahoo and it just popped up on the side a picture of Angela Merkel looking horrified, and the caption was Angela's worst nightmare as she is just been told that some of her country men want Out! whether it is true or not is not up to me to say but I did pick it up on the net.....

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

9. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

The auther of the first piece has an appropriate name.

10. Roger Hicks

Link?

Cheers,

R.

11. IvorCamera

I have just been back on yahoo I can't seem to find it on there perhaps it was MSN, I really have been on a lot of sites to-day, the nearest I got was on MSN saying other countries want out! who that is I don't know but I will keep on looking, I dont think I will be venturing very far from my study, (tennis).....or my laptop, as i said I am grounded......

12. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

AfD = Alternative for Deutschland = a new right-wing party originally formed to get out of the Euro. Enjoying a degree of popularity at the moment thanks to all the refugees.

It's probably true that most EU countries have right-wing groupings of varying voiciferousness who don't particularly care for the EU.

The fact that the EU commission wants to keep the national governments out of the CETA approval ratification process isn't going to win it any friends bearing in mind that this is seen as a run-up to TTIP...........

Apart from that, I thinks there's going to a lot of stumbling over legal and constitutional matters. If anybody seriously thought that brexit would immediately take place they were naive and now, by the cold light of day, are gradually realising that they've been had.

Lynn

Roger Hicks likes this.
  13. Roger Hicks

Dear Lynn,

More "certainly true". And reports on loonies of all kinds always attract disproportionate but sporadic attention, hence the ease of finding them on one web search and not being able to find them on another.

Cheers,

R.

14. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

15. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

As per my post #348. It depends which page of the Express you believe!

peterba likes this.
  16. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

In my case - NONE of them... :)

17. Lost_In_France

Lost_In_France Well-Known Member

I found reading the article (link below) very interesting. In essence it argues that the government of the day cannot constitutionally invoke Article 50 without first getting parliament (and the Lords) to vote to repeal the European Communities Act 1972. And this is specifically covered in the first provision of Article 50 which states "Any member state may decide to withdraw from the union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements." And I think we all know which way both houses will vote.

I'm sure this is well known by most MPs and parliamentary parties, although I'm surprised that the media have not picked up on this and are stoking the fires.

The Tories are without doubt still playing internal party games here, the question being what is the real end-game? Stretching it out until Brussels realises it cannot survive without us and comes back with a better deal? Highly unlikely given the troubles with other member states itching to have a similar referendum. Waiting for the EU to start to unravel by itself whilst the UK delays indefinitely invoking Article 50. Possible, but still unlikely.

It's more likely to be a game of dare within the Tory party to see who has the balls to either go ahead and invoke Article 50, or call a vote in parliament to repeal the 1972 act. Which is why, in my opinion, Cameron was so quick to get out of the firing line and pass the poisoned chalice to Boris.

https://ukconstitutionallaw.org/201...le-50-trigger-parliaments-indispensable-role/

Roger Hicks likes this.
  18. IvorCamera

Yes your right the story in the express is the same as the moment that she heard the news! but the clip I saw was the same but it was a very short movie of her facial expression! the look of horror was captured on every line of her face.....never mind she has got over it now! but some people have not..........

19. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

No, you are quite right:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36669530

S

20. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes that is linked way back.

There are some maybes about it, but I think no-one is rushing to be the one to overturn the referendum. I suspect they all want to play a brinkmanship game with EU on possible terms, even though they say they won't discuss any. Other countries will be pulling in different directions behind the scenes. But if Boris wins I suspect there might be an injunction of some kind launched. If May wins she'll have the choice of new mandate from the country in a general election, referendum re-run, test the leave terms water again, or put it to Parliament.