1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson V700 scanning slides in order

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Steve Moorhouse, Nov 4, 2020.

1. I've been using an Epson V700 scanner for years and one thing I find frustrating is that when I scan 35 mm slides it does not scan them in any particular order. So my scans are pretty much in random order whereas I want them in the 1 to 24/36 order of the original film. Anyone got any insights in to how the V700 decides the order of scanning and how you can get it to scan in order from first slide to twelfth slide in the slide holder?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I’d be surprised if it was entirely random. Do you keep a record of the mapping?

3. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Presumably the V700 has all the strips of film held in place while scanning in one go ?
    Are they positioned front to back or left to right ?
    Being a flatbed the lens part moves side to side scanning as it goes .
    If the film holder is front to back , then the first frame on each strip would be scanned first , then the second frame and so on .
    Resulting in the roll of film as a whole would be scanned in a different order .

So how does it hold the film ?

Edit ; just looked online , https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254475464157
    They do run front to back .
    So if they hold strips of 6 frames , your scanned results are probably frame 1, 7 and 13 on the first pass , frames 2 ,8 and 14 on the next pass , and so on .
    So not random .

How's that sound to you ?

If you wanted to keep the roll in order you would probably need to just scan o strip at a time .

EDIT again ! , Just spotted in your OP , it's slides your scanning .
    Presumably these are mounted slides , placed in a holder like this , https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154093709084

In which case , how are you placing the slides ?
    Is it the same as what I suggested for the negative holder above ?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Based on two days playing with my Epson, not yet with slides, nor a full set of negs, this is the ability of the EPSON software to do a full scan of several slides or negative strips in their respective holders and then decide what is and what isn't an image. It then offers thumbnails of 1,2 ... N of what it thinks are individual images. It doesn't include gaps so if the holders are not full it won't count the "hole" as an image. The ordering will depend on how the software parses the scan, rather than anything physical like the direction of scanning.

Just for the moment I've been flipping between Epson Scan 2, Silverfast 8 (doesn't seem to extract individual images) and VueScan Pro (manual says it can do what Epson Scan does under option multi but I haven't tried it yet) . I've been trying to understand how to process the scans rather than concentrate on how Epson Scan 2 numbers the individual images it extracts but it is immensely more useful than having to do a preview then manually select a frame at a time.

I have to say that I am so far quite amazed at what a flatbed scanner can get out of a 35 mm negative and how different a scan from film looks to the direct output of a digital camera.

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

My Epson scanner is the 4870 PHOTO, the previous model to the V700.
    Providing I use the plastic masks and follow the diagrams printed on them, the scanner in its "Preview" scan mode does an excellent job of scanning my slides and negatives in a sensible order. Occasionally it "thinks" there's info there, when it's the start of a film, but providing that I exclude obvious errors from the Preview selection window it's OK.