1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson 950

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by albini13, Sep 22, 2002.

1. albini13

albini13 Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried it yet ? I`m interested in hearing your views on this printer. It shall be mine soon, oh yes it shall be mine.....

2. Lounge_Lizard

Lounge_Lizard Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be best to get opinion first before committing to buying it?

David

3. albini13

Thats why i started with " Has anyone used this printer, i`m interested in your views". I have done lots of reading on this particular printer, now its user opinions i`m after. The selling point for me is the advanced droplet technology and also you can`t go wrong with an Epson printer. At college we use Lexmark and Canon and they are to be fair, average.

4. Lounge_Lizard

True, you can't go wrong with an Epson printer. Everybody seems to have one and supplies are readily available. However, I wouldn't be persuaded by their 'advanced droplet technology' - this is just marketing jargon. All Epson printers over the past couple of years have delivered excellent results and you'd be hard pushed to tell them apart.

In order of ranking (other might have different views), I would place printers as:

1) Epson
    2) HP
    3) Canon (marked down because Canon supplies aren't so readily available as Epson or HP)
    4) Lexmark

David

5. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Hope you get it soon… I just luv people who pioneer printers… you can tell us how wonderful it is… shame it takes 7 minutes to print an A4 image…

Ah well, you can’t have everything :)

Chris [​IMG] Epson owner btw... but I'm tempted by Canon's speed :)

6. Lounge_Lizard

Chris - the man with a need for speed.

Right on Maverick

David

7. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

I can wait..........if the price is right!

BigWill

<font color=blue>Someday Jeri Ryan will weaken!<font color=black>

8. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

The Canon S800 and 900(0) models are top class, but I agree with you on the company's woeful attitude to making ink supplies plentiful enough - sometimes it gets beyond a joke /img/wwwthreads/frown.gif.

That said, if I ever decide to buy a second printer for B&W it'll very likely be an Epson so I can go the Piezography route.

Tim BSRIPN

9. albini13

I can wait 7 mins. If it was 8 i'd tell them where to go.

10. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

I agree... but the fact the Canon can do it in 2, means 5 mins extra in bed :)

Chris [​IMG] hey, but who's counting :--)

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Wouldn't swap my S9000 for any other printer in the world. Just fantastic, and the print speed is wonderful. 5 minutes extra in the pub!

Nick BSRIPN

12. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

Ah - now I understand!
    Before I just couldn't see the point of prints coming off at breakneck speed.

Pete IRIPN

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Pete, after you've done 2 or 3 prints with an S9000, you can't understand the point of prints coming off so unbelievably slowly as they do with other printers! It doesn't seem like breakneck speed, just "nearly fast enough". I certainly enjoy the process of printing a lot more now I don't have to wait three weeks for a print, and as a result of that and the speed itself I can print a lot more. Which is probably dearer, but it's loads more fun.

Nick BSRIPN

14. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

With my Epson 1290 using premium glossy photo paper (which is the only one I use other than heavyweight matt) I have to wait perhaps 20 or 30 minutes for the colours to settle. Thats why I'm not concerned about speed as I can't judge it straight away. When the print first comes out the shadows can be diabolical and the blacks can have a strange coppery tone. Once dried the quality is superb - or at least it would be if I shot more decent images - and the screen to print match is usually spot on.
    What about the S9000 - does the print look right immediately or does it need to settle down?

Pete IRIPN

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Takes the same sort of time to really settle down, Pete. And that's actually one reason why the print speed matters to me - if I need to re-print, the time savings really start to mount up. Added to which, I tend to print in batch mode, so I can get quite a few prints done in an hour or so - with my old Epson 600, I would be lucky to get one decent print in that time!

Nick BSRIPN

16. albini13

Your argument is a convincing one, 5 mins extra in bed or alternatively in the pub hmm, i like my sleep and my beer. The problem for me though with Canon lies in the price of their ink. Don't get me wrong i`m not one of these tight fisted people but i do print out like a madman and currently get through three to four colour ink cartridges a month. But saying that If i buy the Epson judging by the length of time it takes to print out, i might only get 3 or 4 prints a month :)