1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EOS 50E - will it shoot if film compartment won't shut?

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by cerebros, Jul 23, 2018.

1. cerebros

cerebros Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Trying to have a clear out and have stumbled across my wife's EOS 50E that I thought we'd got rid of ages ago.

It would have been straight up on ebay except for the fact that there's a, presumably partially exposed, film inside. Given how long it's been sat around the battery is dead but the main problem I've got is that the latch to the film compartment is broken (so the film has had some exposure... just of the unwanted kind).

Assuming I can track down a battery (and that it doesn't cost silly money), will the camera shoot if the film compartment won't shut?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be much point as you'd fog the film. You could tape it shut in which case it should work but there were interlocks in some of those plastic fantastic cameras and one might apply to that model's door catch. This video might provide some clues in that direction but I haven't watched it myself so no guarantees...

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The battery is a standard 2CR5. I just put a battery in mine and it works! I opened the back and - you guessed - I found it has a film in it. Closing the back again caused the film to wind on one frame and the counter reset to 1. So now I have at least 3 exposures on a 10+ year old C41 Fuji something or other.

EightBitTony likes this.
  4. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

The little “hook” that keeps it closed is plastic and yes they are knownt to brake. Easy enough to change, two screws and the part used to sell on ebay. Mine is broken as well, but I still have not got around to order the part...

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

My 50E suffered the same thing, got a replacement latch on ebay and sold the camera. Then found a 55QD for less than I had sold the 50E for - it has a (useless) panoramic function, a dateback, but the best bit for me, it's all black. I was amazed how much more I like the camera just because of that.
    Anyway, the latches are frail, but very easily replaced.

6. cerebros

Think I might want part 2 but that was an interesting watch

7. cerebros

Well that's the annoying thing, not knowing how many exposures there are on the roll that's in this camera.

Been trying to figure out how long it is since the camera was last used... The missus and I got married in 2009 and I know she took a Fuji compact camera with us on holiday, so she wasn't using the 50E then, and I suspect (feeling too lazy to start digging through my Lightroom catalogue at the moment) she was using that when we went to Paris in 2007, and I'm pretty sure she'd been using the Fuji for at least a year before that, so the film has got to be in the region of 12 years old.

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

When I first put the battery in the counter said 2. Possibly if you tape the back shut and put a battery in it will give the last frame count. If you put the battery in with the back open it might reset when you close it. I bought my 5D in 2007 so my 50E had been unused for about the same time.

9. cerebros

Quick update...

As I've also got an old Pentax SLR from one of my uncles that he told me to sell off and split the money between my daughters (didn't want to spend time explaining with him that unless it's a incredibly rare Pentax SLR, which I doubt, or rare lenses, again, which I doubt since they look like they're probably the standard kit lenses that were around when he bought the camera, it's probably not going to make much more money than the ebay and paypal fees I'll incur selling it) which also takes 2CR5 batteries, I ordered a battery from Amazon.

As there was a spare roll of Superia 200 in the Pentax's bag I decided to run that through it to check it's still working and having finally finished it off this morning (if I'm going to pay to get the roll processed, I'm determined to make the most of the exposures on the roll) I switched the battery over to the 50E after making a temporary repair (namely sellotaping the back shut) and, eventually* turned the camera on, whereupon it displayed "1" as the frame number. I wasn't sure I believed that as there was definitely some film round around the spool when I'd had the back open. To avoid shooting on the exposed portion of the film I fired off three shots with the lens cap on.

After locating my 24-105 f4 and fitting it to the camera I took my girls to the park with the aim of using the roll up on photos of the kids playing. My disbelief in the frame count was well placed as I'd only taken a couple of shots before the camera started rewinding. Just need to figure out where I'm getting the rolls of film processed.

* yes, embarrassingly it took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to turn it on. "What do you mean the switch with the 1 and 0 positions, the universal on and off indicators, doesn't actually turn the camera on and/or off?"