1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EOS 50D Sigma Flash problem and possible upgrade?

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by NickStevens, Jan 17, 2013.

1. NickStevens

NickStevens Member

Hi all

Previously I was using an EOS 400D and a Sigma EF-530 DG Super, all was good and its a pretty nice flashgun.

I then upgraded my body to an EOS 50D, connected the flash up and its doing all kinds of weird things and refuses to play, so I did some research and found this:
    Notice to customers using Sigma?s EO-ETTL II type flashguns | sigmaphoto.com

So I have contacted sigma and its going to cost £37.99 to have the firmware updated.

So, Im now wondering if I should get it updated or sell it on to somebody who doesn't have a 50D? (because apart from the compatibility issue, its in A1 condition.)

Ive been looking at some alternatives to a genuine Canon Speedlight (as I find them too expensive for what they are, unless somebody can convince me why they are worth the extra money?)

So here are the contenders:

Triopo TR-980 TTL Flash Speedlite TR980C for Canon EOS Camera 60D 600D 580EX II 0689466149012 | eBayMeike MK951 TTL ITTL LCD Universal Flash Speedlite for Canon EOS 5D Mark II 7D | eBay New YONGNUO Speedlite YN560 II flash For Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus DSLR Camera | eBay

TR-985 TTL FLASH SPEEDLITE CANON 580EX 430EX 580 EX I II III UK SHOE MOUNT | eBay
    OR should I just bite the bullet and get a genuine Canon Speedlight, what does the Canon give me that the third party speedlights dont?

So what would you do?
    Have the Sigma updated, Buy a third party speedlight or buy a genuine canon speedlight?

Thanks
    Nick

2. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

One of the reason I like Nissin flash guns is that you can update the firware your self. If youmare looking at the 430 but don't need high speed sync the Nissin Di622 mk II will give you more power, easier to use for half the price.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The link you have posted states that there is no charge for the upgrade.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

must be postage both ways

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well for me, the problems you're having would be reason enough to only buy a Canon - allied to the fact that the Canons always come out best in reviews. Buy cheap, buy twice as they say.

6. NickStevens

NickStevens Member

I dont know what the charge is for, but when I contacted Sigma and told them the problem, they told me the price.

Bear in mind that the link I posted originates from 2008, I only used it to allow me to diagnose the problem.

But whatever way you look at it £37.99 seems a little steep just to plug it in and load on some new firmware, probably takes all of 30 seconds.

As for the postage, I have to pay the postage to send it back to them too :eek:

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

When Sigma lenses needed rechipping to work on newer Canon cameras Sigma were prepared to rechip without charge, provided the owner had the original receipt for the lens which they had bought new. Perhaps the same may be the case here, worth enquiring if you bought it new and can track the receipt down.

8. NickStevens

NickStevens Member

No I didnt buy it new, and I told them that when I spoke to them.
    Shame really coz it works perfect with my 400D, and the 50D is the only camera in the EOS range that the flash wont play nice with.

Recent models of this flash have had the issue fixed and the box carries a sticker saying "50D Compatible"......

So the question remains, should I upgrade the sigma as its a good flashgun, or look for something else and sell the Sigma on to a non 50D owner.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Do the Math. If you like the gun and it isn't limiting your photography then I doubt you can get a price for it that makes a new purchase less than yr repair bill.

If you want a new gun then you can either afford it or not and can defray the expense to some extent.

10. NickStevens

NickStevens Member

Yup very true, tbh I think Im leaning towards getting a new one :)

11. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

About half an hour's labour charge for a skilled technician. Not much to pay really, would probably take that long for them to unpack it, register it on their returns system, check it over, plug it into a computer link to install the new firmware, check it has loaded successfuly and re-pack.