1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EOS 1000FN in 'Sports' mode fails --

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by PeteE, Mar 17, 2020.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Trying out my 'Gift' 1990's EOS 1000FN at the annual Brentwood Half Marathon I set 'Sports Exposure Mode' and used the Canon EF Zoom 75-300mm f4-- 5.6 Mk III and outdated Kodak 400 film rated 250ASA. My shots of the Half Marathon Runners approaching were disappointing -- NOT SHARP and that 'All -Singing- All - Dancing Canon EOS was supposed to give 'Al -servo Follow Focus' at a fast shutter speed - I got the fast speed but NOT the FOCUS !
    Come back PENTAX --- all is forgiven !! I did that event Professionally for over 30 years with my Pentax ME Super and MANUAL Focus lenses and got Front Page Pics !
    1000FN Soft  Result.jpg

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Runners must be faster now!

It’s difficult to say what sports mode would do but in that light it is probably the same as aperture priority with the lens wide open. The early implementation of A1-servo was a bit fussy. On my 50E it needed to lock on to work and its easy to take the half-pressure off while tracking. The focus gets lost in that case.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Looking at this there is nothing anywhere near sharp, it could well be down to the elephant in the room-camera shake, rather than a focus problem. If it is focus, the results you had from manual focusing cameras would be due to prefocusing and releasing at that point.

4. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced it's a focus issue .
    Granted the runners are coming towards you and it's likely that where the camera focused is further back than where they were when the shutter opened with a bit of shutter lag .
    But if you look at the kerb stones , where the plane of focus is should be nice and sharp .
    There not moving .
    They do look a bit sharper than the runners though .

Did you notice what the shutter speed was as you took the shot ?
    It couldn't have been very long though otherwise the runners feet would be all blurred out .
    If you had the lens at its long end maybe it is a bit of camera shake along with a slightly shorter than ideal shutter speed for the action ?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  5. PeteRob

I had (have still somewhere) a Canon 50E bought with the 28-80 and 75-300 twin lens package that was available at the time. The lenses were frankly not very good. I went to a 6x6 SLR to get better results and was astounded. I was even more astounded when I went digital with a 5D and 24-105 L and found the results were just as sharp as I was getting with the medium format - judging through prints at 9x9 and 6x9.

Upshot is that I'd be inclined to think that the 75-300 lens is a contributor to the lack of detail definition.

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

My experience of the 28-80mm lens that came with my £10 charity shop Eos 500 was quite different and I was pleasantly surprised by its quality...

Bare tree Swindon Canon Eos 500 FP4 10.jpg

Susie Canon Eos 500 FP4 19.jpg

Bus lane markings Swindon Canon Eos 500 FP4 28.jpg

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Kit zoom lenses have tended to have quite marked variations in quality between samples, from awful to excellent. If you are lucky you get a stellar copy, if you are unlucky, well...

Years ago in a short period I used three different Nikon 18-70s. The first was pin sharp in the centre with a tail off to abysmal edges with utterly no definition. The second was poor in the centre and no better at the edges than the first. The third had a mechanical fault but was reasonable in the centre and as bad as the first two at the edges.

8. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

WoW ! What Great Replies ! I am sure I was getting 1/350th Second on the 75-300mm lens with the runners coming towards me . I have also some 'gift' Minolta Dynax cameras and they also are supposed to do 'Follow-Focus' and i find the Minolta lenses are sharper especially the 'Beercan' 70-210mm f4 with 'Follow Focus' -- I did a test on a car coming towards me but not 'Runners'

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That does seem to be the case. I just got to be the lucky one this time. :D

10. PeteRob

That is probably true.

I should say that when I said "not very good" that is in hindsight. I was quite happy with my Canon 50 E outfit (making mostly 6x4 high street prints) until I got the beginner itch to "improve" which was largely touted as going to medium format. I was most gratified to find an improvement. The bigger (nice) surprise was going to 'L' glass when I went back to 35 mm with the 5D and finding that matched the MF.

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

1/35oth sec is well within camera shake territory with a 75-300 lens. I would expect a decent copy of the 'Beercan' to outperform the Canon 75-300, this Minolta lens is quite highly regarded when now. I did have one when I had a Sony A850, I wasn't hugely impressed with the copy I had, I bought the 'Big Beercan' and found it rather better. There was the benefit of sensor based stabilisation with this camera.