1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entry to medium format?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by bmul, Apr 23, 2009.

1. JimmyK

JimmyK Member

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Hasselblad 500 as a starter Medium Format Camera. I have heard they are pretty easy to get to grips with. Im looking to get the separate parts, figure its cheaper that way.

?

2. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

You can pick the older ones up quite cheaply (for a blad) maybe about £100+ for a 500C/M body and WLF. Expect to pay £300+ for an 80mm CF and about £100 for a film back (though check to see if they are matched and not letting in light via the dark slide slot). Good thing is bits can be upgraded as and when as they all fit each other. Wouldn't bother getting an older 500c as you can't change the screens (old ones are a bit dark).

What about a Bronny?

3. JimmyK

JimmyK Member

Well I got accepted onto a Photography Degree and wanted to treat myself.
    (Reason for the blad)

I just brought a 500c Chrome body 6x6
    Chrome Waist level finder
    black 220 back
    Brought it in parts from Ebay, £260.

Still need to get the lense of course and a few other bits.

I think I got those parts for a pretty reasonable price compared to what I have seen out there and cant wait.

4. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Not bad, you can upgrade the body at any time. Think I'd prefer an A12 120 back to the 220 due to availability of film (also think 220 film is thinner IIRC).
    You might be able to pick up an old A12 back for very little.

I bought an 80mm CF off fleabay for about £300 in nice condition - just had a look and the CF version sells for not much more than the older CT*, there is also a CB version (ranging from £270 to £330).

I also had a meter prism finder which I found very useful as it gave me the EV and made everything the right way round. Ffordes have an old one for about £60, though not essential it saves carrying a separate light meter.

Enjoy, buying bits for them can be quite addictive (extension tubes are useful and a 2x converter are pretty cheap) :cool:

5. JimmyK

JimmyK Member

Yeah I think the backs are not too expensive.

Thanks for the advice and I agree, bits are like crack to photographers.