1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entry level Mirrorless

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Learning, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Canon and Nikon have a problem that was highlighted in AP's Ask the Wexperts.
    For those who have not seen the advertorial, it featured a question about entry level mirrorless cameras on a budget of less than £550. The suggestions were very sensible and included kit from Fujifilm, Olympus and Sony.

Canon's low cost entry point does not lead into Canon's main system. Nikon has nothing under £899.29.

Where do Canon and Nikon think that they are going to recruit future buyers of their higher priced equipment?

In DSLRs Nikon has the D3000 series to 'hook' new Nikonites but the mirrorless Z50 is simply too expensive as an entry level camera.

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

According to Nikon's positioning chart, the Z50 is classed as an Enthusiast model, not an Entry level model.

Whether this means that they aren't going to bother with an Entry level model or that there is a 'Z500' in the pipeline is another matter entirely.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Nikon really do need a Z500 priced around the same as the D3500 it needs to be well specified and accessible. Is that within Nikon's parameters? I do hope so.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Why is it a problem? No point to undercut the basic DSLR market while it sells and every reason to look for margin at the higher end where they were vulnerable to Sony.

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

And since it's a WEX page, no mention of doing the sensible thing and looking for a mint condition secondhand camera.

I would have suggested looking at the websites of some of AP's regular advertisers of secondhand stuff ,and then doing a little more research on the models you find within your budget. This advice applies to any camera purchase, not just mirrorless.

6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Nikon and Canon have just entered the "serious, full frame" mirrorless market. Their smaller entry-level mirrorless models are not yet on sale (and may not even be under development yet) as this is not a key area of the market for them.

Actually in Canon's case, there is the EOS-M range to look at, whereas Nikon had tried with the "1" range but it bombed and has been discontinued.

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, Nikon has the DX version of the Z series, with the Z50. Only two lenses so far, but probably more in the pipeline.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you haven't tried one, you may be surprised to learn that the 1J5 is a remarkably capable camera, had they started with that the outcome may have been different. However, the technology moved fast between the 1J1/V1 and the 1J5/V3 to the extent that it was possible to make a full frame mirrorless that wasn't massively bigger. The 1J series is let down by the lack of a viewfinder, it is very difficult to follow a bird with the 30-110 using the rear screen.

Zou likes this.
  9. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

As an observation, if I were a manufacturer I would build my most expensive model first, all expensive R & D done, then remove things to make cheaper models.

EightBitTony likes this.
  10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

They may only be interested in recruiting users with the cash for pricier products. At entry level they'll sell a body with kit lens, maybe a two lens kit if they're lucky. Hey the wealthier buyer interested and you can sell them all sorts.

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I personally like the V2. Only 14MP, but not bad noise handling, fast focusing (a mix of contrast and phase) and seems to work well with the FT-1.

Bears a bit of a resemblance to the Z50. Maybe they did use it as an experiment in mirrorless development. :eek: