1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Entry-level Leica rangefinder

Discussion in 'Leica Camera Chat' started by SXH, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

It was a joke Andrew, and yes but, it was a long time ago, About 1975 or thereabouts.

Take it your opinion of camera clubs is about on par with the esteem in which you hold Leica. I t also abhor camera clubs, joined one once, they banned me after a year, said I didn't them seriously enough.

And if you weigh everything in terms of value for money then we would all be clothed in Primark and drive a Ford Ka.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Ditto.

I think we both need to use smileys: :p:D

...and I really liked my M3...

Leica M3 with 90mm lens.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  3. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Indeed :)

But you have the best Leica ever made Mine say Hi.

untitled (8 of 8)-2 copy.jpg

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

Your comparing entry level with top of the range if your £3500 is just for the body.
    An entry level camera is typically adequate rather than decent. Both Nikon & Canon have multiple entry level options for under £1000 along with most other camera makers (some offering better value for money than CaNikon).

My experience is that you often don't get what you pay for. People get scammed & pay over the odds for stuff, pay lots more for identical kit (from the same source) with a fancy logo & sometimes manage a bargain (like my excellent Zeiss Flektagon 35/2.4 for under £10).

5. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

But the entry level for the Leica M is the entry level to the Leica M system and as such is a welcome for many who aspire to the Leica system. What Canon or Nikon etc do and how they price their entry cameras has no bearing in the equation.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not been following new camera developments closely for a few years, so wasn't aware of these. But my oh my, that's a tempting way to spend money I don't have. :)

Brian likes this.
  7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

That's a seriously cute Terrier, Brian!

8. Andrew Flannigan

It seems to me that, in a market driven society, the actions of competitors has a very sharp bearing on the discussion. Leica made three interesting decisions during the 1960s to do three things...
    1. continue the high end rangefinder products
    2. move into the SLR market
    3. introduce a (relatively) low end rangefinder product.
    Decision 1 led to the M4, the abortive M5 and the later M6 series. Decision 2 led to the Leicaflex, which was really only a competitor to the even more dated Contarex "Bullseye". Subsequently, the SL and then the R series (mostly a joint venture with Minolta) recovered the position somewhat but were never serious competition for the high class Japanese SLRs. Decision 3 resulted in the tie up with Minolta being extended to the rangefinder CL series, which was again too little too late.

Later still, the arrival of the Nikon and Contax branded "super compacts" persuaded Leitz to try their hand with the Leica Mini and the Leica Mini Zoom. Personal experience with the latter persuaded me that Leica's pricing policy was still somewhat idiosyncratic in the 1980s. It was a useful little camera but substantially overpriced.

It appears to me that the company have since repeated the Minolta experiment with Panasonic, while still hoping that "the red dot" was worth a large premium for the same camera.

9. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Thanks Adrian .Love them especially since I am a Brightonian. Got several others but they are 00 gauge. The one in the picture is 0.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  10. gray1720

I enncountered them first as a callow lad on the Kent & East Sussex Railway - I spent time on school activities week clearing trees from the line extension in the 1980s, but have never gone back and travelled that part of the line. One day....

11. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

untitled (8 of 9).jpg

This is on the 00 gauge layout.

spinno likes this.
  12. gray1720

That's lovely! I have to ask - is that "Improved Engine Green"?

13. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Southern Railway . The other is LBSC and " Brighton" is still working as a works shunter.

14. gray1720

I meant LBSC livery - I recall that Stroudley's Improved Engine Green was bright yellow because he was colour blind -though it might have been a bit more primrose in shade? Or am I getting my railways mixed?

15. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

No I seem to remember some story along the same lines......no pun intended.

16. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

:D :D :D and does she, now, use the Fuji kit, Brian? ;)

Cheers,

Jack

17. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Well, Brian, I, almost, got the boot from a camera club because they didn't like the way I display my photos during the competitions :eek:
    I, usually, just taped my photos on the cardboard (soft drink) flats or, once, a cardboard plate :eek: ... ;). My words to the powers
    that be were: " .... I thought that the photos were judged on the subject matter, not on how they were presented ... "

Cheers,
    Jack

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  18. Andrew Flannigan

On my rare ventures into camera clubs I got quite the opposite impression. :eek:

19. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

It's a very debatable subject but I think presentation is of importance to a degree. I don't know about today but in the past things like mounting and spotting a print was all part of the photographers skills. In my view submitting a print in these camera clubs is that the photographer tries to demonstrate his skill in the photographic process. If that is true a clean print, properly trimmed and mounted must come into the equation.

P.S. A disclaimer. I think photographic competitions an utter nonsense.

20. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

No Jack, she has advanced to an iPhone

untitled (2 of 2)-7-Edit.jpg

zx9r, Done_rundleCams and spinno like this.