1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entry-level Leica rangefinder

Discussion in 'Leica Camera Chat' started by SXH, Jun 28, 2019.

1. John Tarrant

John Tarrant Active Member

Back to basics: £3500 for a digital Leica, compared to other high end offerings from all the usual suspects is not a bad price. BUT you can get a real, new film Leica (The M A) for £3600. Well now that does seem pretty good value: all that high quality engineering for what in today's landscape, is a very reasonable sum, and of course for life long users there are no compatibility issues with all those "legacy" lenses. Now `i wonder what made the very smart Chinese innovators get around to producing a 35mm lens for around £200? This means that you no longer have to search around for old Russian lenses for new inexpensive Leica bodies. (or of course you can hunt around for s/h Summaron 35mm lenses which are frequently excellent value. Anyway the idea that Leica are substantially overpriced is something of a myth when compared to the competition.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That's a view certainly. Others may think differently.

Learning likes this.
  3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Of course, if you can't afford that (and I can't) you could always get the new Leica superzoom, the V-Lux 5. Only about a grand or, to put it another way, about 50% more than the Lumix FZ1000ii, of which it is a slightly redesigned version. Allegedly...

4. Andrew Flannigan

5. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Wow, I just had a customer come in looking for one of those on Saturday, Adrian, and I thought he was talking
    about digital Leica without the LCD screen :eek: I was soon sorted ;) and it's one of dream/bucket list cameras :eek:

So, kinda cool to see one :). Also, if you interested in flogging it, it's only a 9 hour flight to Vancouver :D

Cheers,

Jack

6. John Tarrant

I have just noticed that Leica have a second hand M3 for sale at £3500 (Including an f2 lens). Suddenly a brand new Leica M E at £3500 does not seem quite so expensive! `incidentally I wonder what the inflation adjusted price of a ne M3 in 1954 is?

Of course for the film users amongst us the Leica M A is available at a similar price to the M E. However the M10 D offers a film type experience in this digital world, but at a serious price.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  7. Done_rundleCams

John, I just sold a Leica M4 (made in Germany) for $2240 (CDN last week, yet, three or four years ago, I sold an M6 for $1200 :eek: ... the film
    camera prices are going up due to an increased interest in film photography :)

Cheers,
    Jack

8. Andrew Flannigan

Can't help with 1954 but a M3 with the 50mm Summicron would have set you back just short of £210 in 1965. According to the Bank of England that's £3994 in current value.

9. John Tarrant

Thanks for that reply; really interesting, it suggests that a current price of an M A film Leica at £3600 is not unreasonable allowing for inflation. I saw somewhere that the new TYP 240 ME has a production run of 750 units which, if true, seems very small to meet world wide demand. The M3 reached a production number in excess of 200,000 I believe so perhaps Leica are actually making less money today than in the past? Incidentally does anyone have any idea of how many M1 cameras were produced. Few people seem to like this model but ``i like mine very much: increasingly Like the "purity" and absolute simplicity of it!

10. Done_rundleCams

Glad you enjoying your kit, John, and re: how many M1's ... here's one answer:

https://www.cameraquest.com/mtype.htm

Cheers and, bear in mind, that Mr. Gandy is quite Leicaphile :)

Jack

11. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I have had a 'few' Leica's in my photography lifetime and the only one that I was able to get on with was my 111F red dial fitted with a F2 Nikkor lens. An absolute delight to use and so light to carry around. No zoom lens that weigh as much as the camera itself, No electronics that will be irrepairable a few years after the model is discontinued. I added a 28. 35, 90 and 135 lens to the collection and it still was manageable without having to go on a body building course. I was more than happy to be able sell it for a lot more than I paid for it.

The M3 I owned was so badly worn out it would cost 3 times the amount I paid to get it back up to scratch and I won't mention the lens!!! Leicas (good ones) are a delight to use but not on your pocket.

12. Done_rundleCams

Whilst, I've never owned any Leica's, John, I do appreciate a body and trio of primes -- PZ1 w/ 20, 35, 90 :)

Cheers,

JacK