1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enlarging medium format film.

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Craig Vanrooy, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Craig Vanrooy

Craig Vanrooy Active Member

Good morning all,

After recently obtaining a Kodak folding brownie I thought I would try and take some pictures on it. So, I chopped down some 120 film and got shooting. A local 'hackspace' near me has a darkroom and assisted me with developing my film. The pictures turned out a lot better than expected aside from a few errors on my part setting the equipment up.

I've scanned the film onto my computer but I am now looking at enlarging the film.

I'm pretty sure the pictures are 6x9 - the issue I have is that the hackspace has three enlargers but it appears none have the slides/cartridges to accept my film. Would anyone know if they are even available for medium format film?

Anyway the enlargers the hackspace has are as follows:

Beta 2 thirty five
    Durst M370 BW

And a LPL C6700 that was donated yesterday.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

My limited knowledge of enlargers would suggest that the last one should be a medium format enlarger...for up to 6x7

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The first two are 35mm enlargers iirc. As stated above the LPL should cover up to 6x7 format, but it may not have the necessary carriers for all formats with it, some medium format enlargers use different carriers for up to 35mm and for over 35mm format. The larger format carriers usually have adjustable masks, but a Philips that I owned used individual masks that fitted within the carrier instead.

4. Craig Vanrooy

Cheers so that explains why I cannot find larger carriers for the first two.

So if the LPL only goes to 6x7 I assume this is not suitable either?

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

You'll just lose a bit off the ends.

S

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I do not want to put you off but about 30 years ago I sorted out a box Brownis and gave it to my son. Contact prints were respectable but when I tried enlarging them I abandoned the idea and bought him a S/H 35mm compact. However others on this forum seem to have had better experiences.

7. Craig Vanrooy

Cheers,

I Use the brownie as I do WW2 re-enactment and it fits in rather nicely with the theme. the inaccuracies in the photographs only 'add' to the charm and the belief that the photographs were taken in the 40's.

I plan on sticking with this, I'm really enjoying it (and the challenges that come with it!) for now, I'll have to make do with cropping out the ends of the photos but is there a recommended enlarger for 6x9 that anyone could recommend that i keep my eye out for? Someone also asked if it was possible to dremel it to make it accept 6x9 but is that even possible? would it work still?

I do plan on upgrading to a Zeiss Ikon 120 but I want to perfect my techniques with what I have got first.

Here's an example of one from my first roll of 120.

The first - It's rather light but I presume the slow standard shutter speed has something to do with this. It's also blurred and out of focus in areas.... Yet again, the standard focus I imagine had a play in this as did the standard shutter speed but I did notice I was not folding out the shutter board all the way and I suspect that is why some areas are in focus and others not at the same range. I have another film due to be developed where I can test this theory.

[​IMG]

And one after I cropped out the van and darkened the image slightly.

[​IMG]

Cheers all,

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I assume the camera is a 6x9 format, in reality printing papers are not exactly the same ratio of length to width as film formats, 35mm is the same ratio as 6x9 so you lose some from the sides of the longer plane in much the same way to fit paper sizes. 6x7 will as stated just lose a bit from the longer dimension.

9. Craig Vanrooy

OK cheers Nimbus, I appreciate the advice!

I'll pop back down on Wednesday and have a play around with the LPL.

10. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

It is possible to hacksaw a 6x7 carrier for the LPL; the best one to 'modify' is the universal glass carrier. Just taking the masking blades out will possibly buy you one extra cm, say 6x8, from your 6x9 neg. I believe it is possible to go to 6x9 but you may start to get severe light fall off. This may produce vignetting (a darkening of the corners) but some people love that. Lomo make lots of money out of it! ;)

11. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding a bit pedantic, light fall-off at the extreme corners will result in your prints being lighter in the corners, not darker (unless there is vignetting on the neg - in which unlikely case the two might cancel each other out)

12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

This is true but can be rectified with selective burning in.

13. hotwenxynt

hotwenxynt In the Stop Bath

The LPL6700 is for formats up to 6x6cms the LPL7700 is for formats to 6x9cms although the 6700 takes the same universal carrier as the 7700 the lightbox will not cover anything larger than 6x6 without a considerable degree of fall-off

14. 0lybacker

Thanks for sorting out my brain fade, taxor. I must have been in transparency mode! :rolleyes:

15. 0lybacker

Think you may be thinking of the (very) old 6600, Nikon. The 6700 is a case of 'doing what it says on the tin'. IIRC, it was a lower cost version of the 7700.

16. hotwenxynt

Sorry to dissagree, but I passed on my 6700 to my son because it would not handle 6x7. I now use 7700. It was the colour head version and gave similar results to a FX sensor on a Nikon D700 when used with DX lenses...i,e,.....it gave quite obvious cut off. He is using it for a Rollie and there are no problems with the 6x6 format. (He has a universal carrier and a Nikon 80mm enlarging lens so I can only conclude the model I had is for negatives up to 6x6.)

17. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

You should be able to get much better results than that from most folding brownies - see below for one from an even less complex Box Brownie. If the shutter board isn't folded out until it clicks into place there is no way you will ever get it anywhere near to focused, even on a fixed-focus model.

Adrian

[​IMG]We plough the fields and scatter by gray1720, on Flickr

Geren likes this.
  18. 0lybacker

You are quite welcome to disagree as it is obviously your experience. Had you owned it from new? It should cover 6x7. It is not impossible, I guess, that the wrong diffuser box got put in at the factory although I seem to recall the 6600 was discontinued in the UK when the range upgraded.

BTW, what lens were you trying to use for 6x7? It is not just the enlarger that may vignette.

19. hotwenxynt

Yes I had it from new - the 1st new enlarger I ever bought. The lens I used was/is a Nikkor 80/5.6. I say 'is' because I am still using the same lens in the 7700 with no problem.

I did not/have not actually own a 6x7 camera but I did a bit of processing 'on the side' to help out and the friend who did pass the negs onto me was not that worried ans got me to crop them to 6x6. With the 7700 all's well.

20. 0lybacker

Unlikely to be the lens although they can lose a stop into the corners. The C6700 was definitely intended to cover up to 6x7. My guess is that it was down to a factory whoopsie in the internals in the light path.

I had one on my first new LPL lens mount that came with the C7700. I was trying to do some very small prints with a 105mm lens and m/f 2 1/4sq negs. Got this ghostly dark ring appearing on the prints. Much head scratching, inspecting and trying of different negs, etc.. A moments inspiration plus a bit of experience made me take the lens and mount off the enlarger and separate the two. Sure enough, the mount had not been completely painted at the factory. A machined face that the lens mounted against was still bright metal. A quick application of matt black Humbrol fixed the problem.